Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hello,
I really goofed up. I have sound dampening on much of the interior of my 2020 Mustang GT (behind paneling) and I was performing the simple action of replacing the rear speakers. When I removed the stock speakers, I noticed underneath was Sound Dampening that I would have to remove and it would be easier to get to from the trunk.

So I popped the trunk and with a fresh blade on razor, I went to slice the perimeter of both speakers. I had no idea there was a bundle of wires RIGHT NEXT TO THE PASSENGER SIDE REAR SPEAKER. Needless to say, it was a domino effect. Right away the AC went off. I cant even try to turn it on because the a/c power button doesn't even respond.

My FOB isn't recognized, so the car wont start, unless I put it in the secret portal. I can't select any drive modes or steering modes, the tire pressure monitoring system quit working, I couldnt believe that precautions are not in place for idiots like me to mitigate the number things affected by a goof up.

Anyway, heres the difficult part: all the fuses check out. Using a multimeter, I checked all the fuses, everything seems fine.
Of course, I have no way of testing the larger fuses - they look fine (but then I read all the time that folks wind up having to replace fuses that looked untouched) and the relays. Should I just buy a bunch of relays and 40s, 50s, fuses?
I am hoping someone has done something like this before and its something simple like, unplug the battery for 32 minuts, while activating the wipers or something.

Thank you so much in advance for your time and attention. I just bought this thing and its so fun to drive, I am really mad at myself.

·
Super Moderator
4,307 Posts
Welcome and thank you for joining ALLFORDMUSTANGS!
Please read the Site Rules if you haven’t already.
We encourage you to complete your Account Settings.
Do you need help posting? Please read this FAQ.

We’re happy you have chosen to be a part of our community.

Reactions: 5.0 Coyote

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Time to dig into the harness and splice the wires back together. Match the colors and you should be ok.
Thank you very much for taking the time.
So as soon as I shot myself in the foot, I unplugged the negative terminal on my battery and soldered the wires back together. I figured as soon as I plugged the negative terminal back in, all would be forgiven and I could turn on my ac and drive my car...no such luck!! What else needs to be done?
Currently I am finding myself in Forscan knee deep in DTCs trying to clear them...This is unbelievable...isnt this why we have fuses? How is it possible that my fuses are in perfect condition?

Welcome and thank you for joining ALLFORDMUSTANGS!
Please read the Site Rules if you haven’t already.
We encourage you to complete your Account Settings.
Do you need help posting? Please read this FAQ.

We’re happy you have chosen to be a part of our community.
Thank you very much for your hospitality. I look forward to playing a positive and assisting role in the community.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Since you've already spliced the wires back together, chances are that you may have fried one or more sub modules. It doesn't take much to short out a pcb in these modules, even though all the fuses check good. You'll probably have to take it to shop that can test bi-directional communication in the modules with Ford software. There is a program called Forscan you can purchase along with a OBDII bluetooth adapter they work if you'd like to give it a shot as a DIY'er.

Reactions: Cobrajet67

·
Registered
413 Posts
Since you've already spliced the wires back together, chances are that you may have fried one or more sub modules. It doesn't take much to short out a pcb in these modules, even though all the fuses check good. You'll probably have to take it to shop that can test bi-directional communication in the modules with Ford software. There is a program called Forscan you can purchase along with a OBDII bluetooth adapter they work if you'd like to give it a shot as a DIY'er.
His previous reply stated he was knee deep into forscan......

Reactions: Cobrajet67

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
You need a wiring diagram to see where those wires all lead to. I agree with Jeremy Weigel that a module or two is possibly fried. There are fuses in multiple places so check them all and make sure that you're testing them properly. MAXI fuses should also be tested.
I wouldn't make any changes in the software with Forscan if I were you. You might give yourself even more problems.
If this can't be figured out then handing it off to the Ford dealer is your best option and just paying someone else to fix this unfortunate mistake.

·
Registered
814 Posts

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
When all else fails, take it to the dealer. I had a similar issue several years ago while installing a complete stereo system in my 2007. I was running speaker and door sub wires from my new amplifiers through the door Molex, and messed up the power window and door lock wiring. After a few attempts to repair it, I took it to the dealer. Hopefully, you have resolved your issue and won't need to go further. Good luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts