Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so i have a 1988 Mustang Convertible 5.0 GT. Well ive had plenty of problems out of it. First, the idle is horrible. It idles up and down and then shuts off. Mostly happens at red lights. I turned the idle up just to stop it from dieing but problem is still there. What might be the problem there? Someone said vaccum leak but i don't know. It is also burning a lot of oil. It was really low and i just put three quarts in and now it won't stay started and it's choking on me. It also sounds like it's flooding. Im getting so upset here because it's just something right after another. Help me!!

·
Registered
58 Posts
First the idle issue - you probably need to try the idle setting procedure. It is posted on the forum here, but you basically unplug the IAC valve, get the car to idle where you want it to by using the idle adjustment screw. Then, you check and make sure your TPS checks 0.97 - 0.99 volts. After that, turn the car off, undo the negative battery cable and leave it for about 15 minutes.

Reconnect the IAC and battery and then restart it. This should fix the idle problem.

As far as the oil, it could be the valve stem seals or rings or both. Does it smoke when you first crank it up? How many miles are on the car.

·
Registered
137 Posts
sounds like it could be a combination of things. id check for vacuum leaks, clogged catalytic converters, maybe a bad fuel pump or a clogged fuel filter? as for the oil hows the oil pressure? is it running rough knocking or pinging. If the CATS are clogged it could cause too much back pressure and ruin valves and seals so thatd be the first thing id check.

·
Registered
165 Posts
i had the same problems with my old f-150. seemed like every month it was something new :frustrated:. after 250,000+ miles and lots of frustration (and cash!), i traded it in a bought my mustang :gringreen

wish i could offer some actual help but my knowledge is limited haha. your in good hands here though :bigthumbsup

G

·
dont give up on her, find the problem and do what you can to fix it.. but dont give up oh your mustang, half the fun is working on them and learning..

·
Registered
89 Posts
When's the last time you did a tune-up? Buy a Haynes or Chilton's repair manual and follow their recommendations for you mileage. Air filter, fuel filter, plugs, timing. Once your sure the basics are covered then you can check for codes(it's covered in the manuals). If you have a good tune-up and troubleshoot and fix all your codes, then you should be in good shape.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
it's just so tiresome!! i mean i added oil today to a cold engine and well i let it sit. now it keeps choking on me and doesn't want to go. i stomp the gas and it bursts out black smoke. i mean i know it was low on oil but dang not that low. im afraid it's not gonna get better. someone said they could hear my pistons and that i really needed an oil change but i know im not due one it just runs out on me. i need a tune up and new plugs i guess b/c we replaced the distributer and not the plugs and stuff. someone said we were suppose to do that. im really all new to this b/c im a girl and well i don't have a mans knowledge and no garage around here wants to help me. i mean ive replaced things on my car myself just by taking it off and putting a new one one. it's getting easy but figuring out the problems aren't. im about ready to just sell it and say forget it but i mean i don't even know how much to sell it for b/c it's an amazing car on the inside and out and theres no body or interior damage at all. it didn't run when i bought it for $3700 and we had to re wire the whole car. it runs nows but theres still little things. im sooo tired!!

·
Registered
165 Posts
it's just so tiresome!! i mean i added oil today to a cold engine and well i let it sit. now it keeps choking on me and doesn't want to go. i stomp the gas and it bursts out black smoke. i mean i know it was low on oil but dang not that low. im afraid it's not gonna get better. someone said they could hear my pistons and that i really needed an oil change but i know im not due one it just runs out on me. i need a tune up and new plugs i guess b/c we replaced the distributer and not the plugs and stuff. someone said we were suppose to do that. im really all new to this b/c im a girl and well i don't have a mans knowledge and no garage around here wants to help me. i mean ive replaced things on my car myself just by taking it off and putting a new one one. it's getting easy but figuring out the problems aren't. im about ready to just sell it and say forget it but i mean i don't even know how much to sell it for b/c it's an amazing car on the inside and out and theres no body or interior damage at all. it didn't run when i bought it for $3700 and we had to re wire the whole car. it runs nows but theres still little things. im sooo tired!!
the shops arnt willing to help? that sounds odd. try looking up one of your local mustang clubs (google works wonders ;)) they should be more than willing to help save your pony!

·
Registered
19 Posts
leaks could be val seals or piston rings or rear main. idle can be your pcv or vacuum seloniod. its mounted on the passenger side red n green line on it. take off the plug with the car on if u hear air n feel it n if it suck ur finger it works.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Don't give up on your stang. Just needs some tlc because it sounds like the previous owners didn't care too much. My car was kinda the same deal with being neglected but after some time and patience and $$ its all good. If I lived close I would be willing to come help you trouble shoot it...

·
Registered
160 Posts
Sounds awfuly similar to what happened to me. All I had to do was replace the EGR and then she ran like a charm.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Don't give up. It doesn't matter if you are a girl. I've had vehicles like that but everything works out and you'll enjoy driving it even more.

Shops won't help because they want your money. Get the manual, and follow the advise given here and you'll solve the problems.

Everyone on here is amazing. They've all helped me a ton.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts