Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday was a milestone day for my project. POWER on for the first time in 20+ years!!! All my lights work, but my wiper motor doesn't park. I remember this was occurring when I drove the car 20+ years ago.

I'm a sharp guy with electrical problems, but I just can't figure it out. I have disassembled the switch, motor and rung out all the wires. No shorts, breaks or broken parts. This is what I know so far:

When first switched ON:

The single speed switch gets 12V power via an Orange-White wire. Internal to the switch, a copper disc connects the 12V from the orange-white wire to the Orange-black wire.
The orange-black wire takes 12V to the motor via the harness.
Internal to the motor, the 12V actuates the motor. Additionally, the 12V is connected to the blue wire that returns to the switch. Because the switch is ON, the copper disc is not touching the blue wire contact, and the 12V stops there.

The motor runs

When switched OFF, while the wiper is running, (and NOT in wiper park position):

The orange-white 12V source is disconnected internal to the switch, because internal to the switch, the copper disc is rotated to connect the Blue and Black wires.

The motor stops immediately. Does not return to park.

I fully understand the proper function of a wiper park function, but for the life of me, I can't figure out how the motor gets power to continue running to park if the Orange-White 12V source is switched off. I do not see another "parking" source of power.

The only thing I can figure is my switch is bad (and perhaps incorrectly assembled when I got it??).

Can anyone tell me whats wrong with my description? Anyone have a electrical schematic of the wiper switch (internal) and motor (internal)? I have the standard Ford wiring diagrams, but they do not show the internal switching.

I have read elsewhere the Blue wire carries "parking" power to the motor when the key is on, and internal to the motor is disconnected when the "park" position is reached. Where then should the blue wire get 12V if the switch does not ever connect the Orange-White (12V source) to the blue (permanently or otherwise)??

I'm a week away from taking my car to the paint shop, and I'm working long hours to complete wiring and engine install. Thanks in advance!

Henry

·
Registered
62 Posts
thats probably what it is is that your switch is bad. mine will do that intermintently or it will just not switch off for a minute. im sure if its been sittin for 20yrs some wires could lose some continuity. i dont think the switches in dash are too expensive either

·
Registered
392 Posts
There should also be some contacts in the wiper motor its self. you might try pulling the motor and taking the gear cover off and see if you can clean it up. Now I don't know this for a 65 wiper motor, but have had to fix the same problem on other older cars and was able to do so by cleaning things up in the motor gear case.

Joel

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
The schematic that I have isn't very detailed either, but it shows 3 power wires internally connected together inside of the motor. They are BLUE, BLACK and ORANGE/RED (ORANGE/BLACK?) These wires lead from the switch to the motor. The ORANGE/WHITE wire is the power source to the wiper switch itself it does not physically go to the motor.

The ground wire is WHITE and leads from the switch to the motor with an extra lead tapped into it with a ring terminal so that it can be attached to chassis ground.

Unfortunately my schematic doesn't show the internal routing of the 3 wires previously mentioned, but, as said, shows them as being connected together inside of the motor. You didn't mention the routing for the WHITE ground wire, but could it be that it isn't connected to chassis ground via that extra lead with the ring terminal?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts