Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i bought these cobra valve covers for 302 and 289 heads and i just got them on just an hour ago and i cant get the bracket on the throttle body that tensions the throttle cables to clear the new valve covers when i put the throttle body back on please help or send pictures

·
Registered
45,992 Posts
What you need is shorter valve covers, or get a 1 inch intake spacer. I'm guessing they're cast aluminum valve covers, if they were stamped steel, you could dimple them. But the intake spacer should cure this problem. I had this problem and the spacer cured it, I don't have pics of it at the moment. I could take one tomorrow if you still want one.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you so much, i would really appreciate pictures even if its tomorrow. but im a little bit confused are u saying to put a 1" spacer between the upper and lower plenum. and if so will i need to retension the throttle cable for the spacer.

·
Registered
287 Posts
thank you so much, i would really appreciate pictures even if its tomorrow. but im a little bit confused are u saying to put a 1" spacer between the upper and lower plenum. and if so will i need to retension the throttle cable for the spacer.
It goes in between the throttle body and the egr

I got a throttle body spacer and that did the trick for me

·
Registered
45,992 Posts
Yup, it goes between the upper and lower. Here's mine, a 1 inch spacer and tall valve covers, you can see even with the 1 inch spacer how close it'll be. You shouldn't have to do anything to the throttle cable.

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
thank u so much, i managed to make it fit but i had to undo the upper plenum and tilt it back just to slide the throttle body on the bolt bosses all the way and i bolted it all down but the bracket just barely sits on the tip of the valve cover, but id rather make it fit nicely so im off to buy a spacer. In that picture i noticed u have a bolt one of ur coolant lines that goes to the egr, just wodering y u capped it, did u remove ur EGR

i was wondering where u happened to buy ur spacer at because i cant find a stock design 1 inch spacer to go under the upper plenum, at summit they only have half inchers or 3/8 spacers

·
Registered
54 Posts
Friend of mine had the same problem,he bought Vic Jr heads and his valve covers were hitting throttle cable bracket.He got a 1/2 spacer and all is well.He has a cowl hood so no clearance issue,but check whatever size you get that it will clear your application..

·
Registered
45,992 Posts
Sorry, with the database having problems, I haven't been here much the past two days.

I got mine from Summit but mine's a TFS intake. You can stack multiple spacers and it'll be fine, you just get some longer bolts.

Yes, I took off my EGR and that coolant line has been capped off.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.