Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I changed my plugs (all by myself without any help, it was awesome) and the car drives much better but I'm still convinced that I didn't plug them In right or something. If one of them wasn't plugged in and working I'd notice a huge power loss or other adverse symptoms right?

When I first started up the car it drove fine but at idle the RPM's kinda went up and down ~200 rpms. Could this just be a break in thing because it doesn't seem to be doing it anymore.

Also, I was do excited to drive my car after I installed the new plugs that I took it around the block with out the air filter on (I was "recharging" the K&N filter when I was doing the plugs and It was still drying). Surly a short drive in the town wouldn't of hurt it right?

Thanks a lot guys.

·
Registered
532 Posts
So ... I'm still convinced that I didn't plug them In right or something. If one of them wasn't plugged in and working I'd notice a huge power loss or other adverse symptoms right?

When I first started up the car it drove fine but at idle the RPM's kinda went up and down ~200 rpms. Could this just be a break in thing because it doesn't seem to be doing it anymore.
Highly unlikely you did any damage without the air filter on a round the block trip, unless you drove through a massive volcanic dust cloud, but the electronic engine control expects it to be there to properly set mixture and timing, so is definitely a bad idea longterm :yup:

A spark plug/wire problem (bad plug, bad wire) will show up as a rough running engine, not a varying idle... If you cross wired the plugs, you will likely get very rough running and backfire.

A varying idle is more likely a vacuum hose not properly sealed or a disturbed electrical connection... take a look around where you were working and see if there is any vacuum tubing or wiring that was loosened and slide it back onto the connector...

Another trick to isolate a leaking vacuum connection is to run the engine and spray WD40 on the vacuum connections. When the culprit connection is sprayed, the engine will smooth out.

FYI - http://www.techguys.ca/howto/spark_plugs.html

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
You would know if one wasn't installed right or if the wires were crossed, it would run really rough and you would hear it misfire. A short drive around town should't hurt anything, but as jimbo said running without the filter will change the way it drives due to PCM expecting it to be there

·
Registered
63 Posts
I had a similiar problem when i put in new plugs a couple weeks ago, i believe it was some type of grease or cleaner transfered from my hands to the plug which afected the timing of the plugs slightly.. i Just let her run easy to burn off the grease and it runs crisp now...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts