Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at a stop sign and i when i turned right a got on it a little and my back tire was going over the edge of the road and the rear tire came loose of the rim making me go to the right and then left into the ditch and shot up back on the road. I didnt sustain any body damage at all but i just bought some bullit rims that almost mached the color of my car (silver) and some good tires, well the front one is probally bent and i dont even know about the rear. So yea. It sux really bad, i had to put the stock rims back on. Every one at school is asking me why i did it and im tired of telling them. But it scared me to death, and the seat belt didnt cach me that well and almost went out window, but i did mess up my should and stuff other than that its ok.:weeps :weeps :weeps :weeps :weeps :weeps :weeps :weeps :weeps :weeps :weeps :weeps

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
stangthang said:
I was at a stop sign and i when i turned right a got on it a little and my back tire was going over the edge of the road and the rear tire came loose of the rim making me go to the right and then left into the ditch and shot up back on the road. I didnt sustain any body damage at all but i just bought some bullit rims that almost mached the color of my car (silver) and some good tires, well the front one is probally bent and i dont even know about the rear. So yea. It sux really bad, i had to put the stock rims back on. Every one at school is asking me why i did it and im tired of telling them. But it scared me to death, and the seat belt didnt cach me that well and almost went out window, but i did mess up my should and stuff other than that its ok.:weeps :weeps :weeps :weeps :weeps :weeps :weeps :weeps :weeps :weeps :weeps :weeps
This is exactly why 17year olds should not be allowed to drive a GT.:evillol: (Sorry that was a little rough)
What size tires are they and did you mount them yourself?
Glad you didn't kill yourself

·
Registered
183 Posts
Not to preach but it could have been allot worse than rim issues. Hopefully that scare will cause you to give a bit more respect about the power these cars put out and how that power is used. I'm 38 and I have to force myself to respect this machine every day or I will find myself in a situation I can't handle. I enjoy the car too much to put it into a wall just for a few seconds of fun and then months of hell.

My recommendation is to find a open lot that is off-the-beat-n-path of traffic and push the car there so you get a feel of the boundries. Or take it to a track. There a just too many variable on public roads to risk it. We don't want to read a post later on that you really damaged her doing something you'll regret later. ;)

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
The tire came off the rim? WTF kind of road were you on? These are not 4 wheelers!! Be careful wiil ya.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
<BEGIN RANT>
I don't wanna turn this into another age vs experience, but I'm tired of seeing middle-aged people on their way to work with me in the morning going 70mph 1 carlength behind me. You would think with their "experience" they would know there is no way they could get out from behind me if I had to slam on mybreaks. That was just in response to the "17 yr old" comment:shiny:

<END RANT>

·
Registered
184 Posts
stangthang said:
I'm glad you're ok, and you've learned what NOT to do with your Stang!
From my Jeep offroading days I can tell ya, its easy to dismount a tire, all you need to do is poke it pretty hard on the sidewall near the rim. Break the air seal, the "bead", and presto! On a 35" tire mounted on a 15" rim that is pretty hard to do, you gotta have something 8-10" high, running off the road won't do it. You gotta look for just the right rock. However, on low-profile tires, all you need is something a couple inches tall, say the side of the pavement...

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
tw0scoops123 said:
<BEGIN RANT>
I don't wanna turn this into another age vs experience, but I'm tired of seeing middle-aged people on their way to work with me in the morning going 70mph 1 carlength behind me. You would think with their "experience" they would know there is no way they could get out from behind me if I had to slam on mybreaks. That was just in response to the "17 yr old" comment:shiny:

<END RANT>
Calm down there twoscoops, I wasn't being serious about the 17yr old comment. That's why I added the rough statement.
Anyway, we could start a whole thread on idiot drivers.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
pcfrisch said:
Calm down there twoscoops, I wasn't being serious about the 17yr old comment. That's why I added the rough statement.
I know, i was't upset or anything, and I knwo you were just joking, but it just reminded of sometinhg I wanted to post on one of those previous discussions about age vs experience, but I didn't wanna bring that thread back up again.

PS I rubbed my tire against the curb pulling up to work this morning... Thank god it didn't touch the actual wheels and just scuffed the rubber part(which can be cleaned). I had that happen to my previous mustang and it ripped up the metal along the outside like it was butter.

·
Registered
276 Posts
pcfrisch said:
There's alot of truth to the 17yr old comment. It applied to me when I was 17 (I wrecked more than one car) and it applies to my son who is 17 and just wrecked my truck. It scares me to think what would have happened to me or what would happen to my boy if there was a powerful car involved.
Twoscoops comment is also very true regarding the tailgaters. You rearend someone in Calif. and it's your fault, period! According to the law. Stupid way to be aggressive, it's lose-lose for tailgaters.:bouncer

·
Registered
69 Posts
I never had any accidents when I was 17 and haven't had any since then either. Just because some teens have accidents doesn't mean that everyone of them does ... of course I wasn't driving 300hp ... i had an 82 Ford Fairmont ... LOL

·
Registered
177 Posts
Hey Your Young Take It As A Lesson Learned, And Dont Worry There Are More To Come

G

·
tw0scoops123 said:
<BEGIN RANT>

<END RANT>
Yanno, this reminds of something this spring. Was driving in my caddy, delivering pizzas & really not in the mood for tailgaters. Most of the time I just shrug it off, but I was headed down this 2 lane, 40mph road & had some absolute jack-ss in a pickup royally tailgatin me... to the tune of maybe 5 feet away. Well, sometimes I'll just tap my breaks so they light up my brake lights... tried this, but moron stayed on me.

So, long story short, I put one hand on my pizza bag in the right seat, kept one eye on my rear-view mirror & then proceeded to stomp on the breaks. Went from 40 to 30 real quick... but kept my eye on the mirror to keep moron from hittin me. I could hear his tires squeel a little bit from him trying to stop... and then after this we procceeded down the rest of the 3-4 miles or so with him staying a good 100 ft back.

My other delight I used to do (cant now as I've quit) would be to finish my smoke, reach out the window and flick it "up" as much as I could... to where it'd fly back at the car behind me. They usually got the message. In my town tailgatin gets worse and worse every year... and the accidents pile up because of it, really quite stupid, no matter one's age.

In relation to the thread starter, that'd have scared the crap outta me no matter what age. Never thought it'd be so easy to "pop" a tire off the rim like that. At least thanks for sharin the story as it increases all our awareness.

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
eyelleye said:
proceeded to stomp on the breaks. Went from 40 to 30 real quick... but kept my eye on the mirror to keep moron from hittin me. I could hear his tires squeel a little bit from him trying to stop... and then after this we procceeded down the rest of the 3-4 miles or so with him staying a good 100 ft back.
I think I gave a woman behind me whiplash doing that :evillol:

·
Registered
36 Posts
I would never let one of my future kids (hopefully) drive a car that has so much power and being rear wheel drive. I had a 86 gt in high shoool and probably could count on all my fingers and toes the times I did 360's and lost control in the rain and snow. These cars are dangerous and get you killed...Be thankful its just a car part and not a body part!
Good Luck
have fun in school...its the best time of your life...trust me (im 24):heha:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Tailgating in New Jersey.

:) I drive Route 3 from Clifton NJ to Secaucus NJ every day, to and from work. It is about 10 miles, three to five lanes wide each direction. (Route 3 is the main route that feeds the Lincoln Tunnel, one of three or four ways for people to get into New York City from the West.) On a good day, the traffic is two to three carlengths apart, side by side, 60 to 80 MPH. Daily rush hours last from 6 AM to 10 AM and from 3 PM to 7 PM. To cross Route 3 on foot at any time of the day or night would range from extremely dangerous to absolutely gauranteed death.

:) If you are more than two carlengths back from the car in front of you, the person behind you will assume that you are dogging it and will pull out and pass you immediately -- either on the right or on the left, whichever seems more convenient.

:) People of all ages drive like maniacs here. In the first two weeks I was here, I saw more people run red lights than I had in my entire life before New Jersey, some 50 years.

When I say "run red lights," I do not mean the lights were maybe a little "pink"; I mean the lights were red for a count of two or three AND THEN the cars blew through at 40 to 50 MPH.

My 2002 Mustang's 232 Cu. In. V6 with Automatic transmission (Premium) does have the power, handling, and brakes to get me out of trouble.

So far, I have had enough common sense, reflexes, and plain ol' luck to keep me out of trouble my Mustang could not handle. 99.9% of the time, it has been the steering and brakes that have saved me.

:) :) :) If a 17-year-old exercizes care and good judgment, he or she may live to see his or her 18th birthday. :) :) :)

:) Carelessness and recklessness -- for example, using the streets for a test track -- will put you in an early grave... or worse... and I have seen "worse."

:) Thank God you did not hurt or kill an innocent bystander.

:) Enjoy your Mustang, and please drive safely. It would be a shame to suffer injury, death, or worse in one of the finest cars in the world: a Ford Mustang.

:) Use the racetracks for racetracks, use the test tracks for test tracks, use the streets as the law requires and as common sense dictates.

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
No problem

Speaking as a 52 year old, I'm with you. People driving in anything but the passing lane should always allow a car length for every 10mph.

2scoops, since you're driving an 05 GT, I am assuming you're not poking along in the passing lane making folks pass you on the right - failure to follow lane discipline is just as bad (and causes just as many accidents) as tail-gating. If you're having problems with people wanting to go faster than you're going while you're stationary in the left lane, you need to pull over and let them go by.

I lived and drove in Europe for several years - German cops will toss you in the pokey for exercising poor lane discipline and causing problems.

They really don't have a set speed limit on their Autobahns, so speeding isn't what they look out for - bad driving is. Can anyone else picture state troopers ignoring (safe) speeders and ticketing grannies clogging up the left lane with their minivans?

lol

The millenium has come!

tripleblack

tw0scoops123 said:
<BEGIN RANT>

<END RANT>

G

·
That'd be nice for a change. Always wished our interstates were more of an autobahn type system. I watched a show on discovery on the autobahn. Wish I could recall the statistics on it... but as it turns out it's "safer" than the US interstate. I realize that's a generalization, but I just don't have the stats in front of me, sure was interesting tho.

btw, good post BBQ.

·
Registered
29 Posts
People in Germany have to take a real driving class and pass a real driving test, not the, anyone can pass, tests they give at a U.S. DMV. I also think the license is at least $1,500, so it weeds out alot of people.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts