Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to start my 86''er and all I heard was a wood pecker sound some where in the front end. The battery is new, so is the alternator, and the starter is new too. I'm not that good in mechanics, i'm thinking its the flywheel but not to sure. Every time i turn the key it has the same sound "tat tat tat".

please help me:wavey

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Sounds like a discharged battery to me, that would be the solenoid clicking.

·
Registered
36 Posts
maybe ground cables or starter wire.have you checked that?

·
Registered
148 Posts
When my battery voltage would drop down to about 10 volts the starter solenoid would make that noise. You need to check the battery voltage.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i'll check the battery today at the parts store.
I just hope i don't have a electrical short problem, I hate them!

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
newguy86 said:
i'll check the battery today at the parts store.
I just hope i don't have a electrical short problem, I hate them!
It's just a matter of connecting a few new cables to the correct places. You should replace the cables if they are original. Make sure all of your connections are tight, too.

·
Registered
21 Posts
my dad had a similer problem on a dodge

He said he found it in the starter relay I ask you mean the solinoid he said no it is a relay that is between the keyswitch and the solinoid. i dont know if ford does it that way or not but if a new ground wire or cleaning the conections don't work you may want to look at the wiring diagrams to see if there is a relay in line with it like the dodge:shrug

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'd check the battery at the shop they said it was at 11 near 12, and it is a good battery but it had just lost power. The key switch was replaced 3 months ago and i'm positive the relay too.

I've had my mustang parked in the garage for a good 6 months and drove it maybe 5 times with in the 6 months. It might just be the the connections are messed up so i'll check'em.
Can anyone give me the diagram connection info or some web site with that kind of information?

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
You might consider disconnecting the battery when the car is going to sit without being started for a long time. Cars made after the '80s have alot of stuff which is always powered up, and it drains the battery.

·
Registered
17 Posts
ok try this, if you have a volt meater put the positive lead to the wire going to the starter and negative to the negative on the battery. check for volts should be from 9 to 11 volts. if not then check the positive at the solinoid, if you have it there then replace the wire to the starter. if not check the voltage at the battery when you try to start.. make sure the terminals are clean and getting a good connection at the battery....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think i found the problem, one of the wires in the alternator connection was disconnected. It was hard to see, but once I pulled the connection off to get the alternator check it came loose.

thanks for all the info guys, this is a very helpful site to be in.

Just one more question if i may add? is taking off a rack and pinion a difficult job to do. i'm thinking of trying it, because auto shops charge alot just for that?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.