Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 V6 convertible with very low miles on it. It's a city driver in South Florida with only 17K miles on it. I have a 93 octane tune installed, but retarded it 6 degrees last year so I could run 87 octane gas. Well, since gas has gone down a little I decided to go back to the full 93 octane tune. I ran the tank low and filled it up with 93 octane, ran that to 1/4 and filled it back up with 93 octane and put the tune back to full preformance. I didn't notice the extra power like before, so I decided it might be time to do some maintenance.
I just replaced the spark plugs and wires, and now I have my power back. Right away I could feel the difference. The plugs I removed don't look terrible, but they obviously lost something. I'm happy again.
I don't see any way these plugs can go 100,000 miles and still work in a satisfactory mannor.
What do you guys have to say about this.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Nothing Last 100.000 Miles, the Plugs, the Tranny Fluid or the Collant. As for the Tune your Computer has what s called (Keep Alive Momory) when you Flash your Computer you Wipe out any KAM (Keep Alive Memory) stored in your PCM, after Re-Flashing your Computer it has to re-learn all this, this could be part of it. Also the Gas in your Tank is could be it too, changing Gas in the Fall, Summer and Winter is different and could also have the same effect on your Tune.
YES the Plugs and Wires Helped, but it also could be how you loaded your Tune, Always go back to your Factory Stock Tune on your Tuner (without starting your car) then download your chosen Tune.
But yes anyone who thinks that there Trany Fliud, Plugs, Wires and Collant last as long as there Owner's Manual say's is sadily mistaken.
But the Plugs you had with 17K on them should'nt have been that Bad so it could have been anything, but Im Glad it's Better and You're Happy:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nothing Last 100.000 Miles, the Plugs, the Tranny Fluid or the Collant. As for the Tune your Computer has what s called (Keep Alive Momory) when you Flash your Computer you Wipe out any KAM (Keep Alive Memory) stored in your PCM, after Re-Flashing your Computer it has to re-learn all this, this could be part of it. Also the Gas in your Tank is could be it too, changing Gas in the Fall, Summer and Winter is different and could also have the same effect on your Tune.
YES the Plugs and Wires Helped, but it also could be how you loaded your Tune, Always go back to your Factory Stock Tune on your Tuner (without starting your car) then download your chosen Tune.
But yes anyone who thinks that there Trany Fliud, Plugs, Wires and Collant last as long as there Owner's Manual say's is sadily mistaken.
But the Plugs you had with 17K on them should'nt have been that Bad so it could have been anything, but Im Glad it's Better and You're Happy:bigthumbsup
Whenever I change tunes I always go back to stock first. As for the plugs, one of the things I noticed was that the gap had widened to over .0060. some as much as 0062, that could have caused a weak spark. I also plan on having the auto trans fluid flushed soon.

·
Registered
217 Posts
My 2006 V6 came from the factory with Motorcraft Platinum plugs which they say should last 100,000 miles. When I put my X-Charger on at 30,000 miles I pulled the stock plugs and they were in terrible shape. They gaps were all over they place and way out of tolerance and the porcelain was not in very good condition on most of them. This was on a bone stock engine so needless to say there is no way they would have ever made it to 100,000 miles. I replaced them with Autolite 5143 Copper Core plugs to run with the supercharger. I took them out at 30,000 miles and they looked almost like new and the gaps had only burned out a very small amount. I have only replaced them twice since then just for good measure and have 141,000 miles on the engine now.

On a related note I just started helping a buddy install an X-Charger on a very low mile 2007 V6 yesterday. We pulled the stock plugs and they were not platinum plugs they were just stock standard Motorcraft plug. They still looked brand new!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess you really just can't beat those copper core spark plugs. They can come up with all the fancy **** they want, but sometimes the good old standby's are your best option. I'm staying with the 5143's also. The Thunder wires from AM seem to be pretty good. They fit good when I replaced them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts