Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently ordered Kooks Long Tube headers and H pipe with cats. Any one running this setup. Modular Depot said it would sound great. Said I wouldn't gain as much horse power with the H pipe but would gain more low end tork and get a litter deeper sound. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
10,877 Posts
I recently ordered Kooks Long Tube headers and H pipe with cats. Any one running this setup. Modular Depot said it would sound great. Said I wouldn't gain as much horse power with the H pipe but would gain more low end tork and get a litter deeper sound. Any thoughts?
I think you'll like them. I have the ARH's with catted H with GTAs and it sounds great. you'll pickup some power. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am hopeing so. The guys at modular depot have never steered me wrong. They work on practicly nouthing but mustangs. I am running the Ford Racing Mufflers designed by Borla. He said that it would just have been to raspy like the tuner cars if I went with the xpipe. Also that it would be extremly obnactious sounding with out the cats. The new mustangs just don't have that deep throaty sound like the old 5.0 s do.

I think you'll like them. I have the ARH's with catted H with GTAs and it sounds great. you'll pickup some power. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
937 Posts
You'll never notice or miss the 2-3 horsepower you'd gain with an X pipe and an H sounds much better. Just like Mustngman said, an X is raspy and annoying at times. At WOT it sounds amazing but I still wish I had gotten an H pipe instead. And I still love a Flowmaster with your setup. That's the redneck in me I guess.:hihi:

·
Registered
858 Posts
I just installed a Magnaflow Catted X-Pipe with my Flowmasters and it sounds REALLY throaty :happydance:, the closest ive heard an S197 get to a 5.0

Kooks are top of the line man, your gonna love em, good thing you went with Cats, my Hi-Flow Cats are LOUD, O/R would just be unbearable on the highway.

Keep us posted with Pics n Vids :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
... The new mustangs just don't have that deep throaty sound like the old 5.0 s do.
Or even the SN95's. Some people have throw out the theory that it's because the mufflers are at the end of the system. Prior the mufflers were before the axle with a nice long tail pipe. I had a chance to hear a set of Pypes mid-muffler system. They sounded good. The owner also claimed no highway drone. Until I hear that for myself the jury's still out but sitting in the lot it sounded great.

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
Or even the SN95's. Some people have throw out the theory that it's because the mufflers are at the end of the system. Prior the mufflers were before the axle with a nice long tail pipe. I had a chance to hear a set of Pypes mid-muffler system. They sounded good. The owner also claimed no highway drone. Until I hear that for myself the jury's still out but sitting in the lot it sounded great.
I had them-- hated them! Still sitting in my attic.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I got my exhaust a little quicker that expected. Kooks said they were on back order when I ordered them but got them today after about a week. I couldn't resist I already took out the old exhaust. I have finally learned my leason though. I will never install another one without a lift. This is my second and I am about to shoot myself. It is just so much faster and easier with a lift. I will post pics tommorow of the old exhaust and new one installed. for comparison.

The exhaust seems to be great. We will see how good the fitment is tommorow night. The instructions they gave though suck. Quality parts but bad instuctions. They havn't had one bolt size right on that paper yet.

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
Well I got my exhaust a little quicker that expected. Kooks said they were on back order when I ordered them but got them today after about a week. I couldn't resist I already took out the old exhaust. I have finally learned my leason though. I will never install another one without a lift. This is my second and I am about to shoot myself. It is just so much faster and easier with a lift. I will post pics tommorow of the old exhaust and new one installed. for comparison.

The exhaust seems to be great. We will see how good the fitment is tommorow night. The instructions they gave though suck. Quality parts but bad instuctions. They havn't had one bolt size right on that paper yet.
A header install is a raging PITA! It was the bloodiest my hands have ever been. :so

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ya I have spent two full nights in the garage now and just now finishing up the header bolts. They are an absolute B#$%H. I wish I had just paid to have them installed now. I didn't think It would be as bad as it is. The bolts are almost freaking impossible to get to.

Hopefully only have a few more hours. After the headers are done the rest is cake.
:happyhapp

A header install is a raging PITA! It was the bloodiest my hands have ever been. :so

·
Registered
505 Posts
What H pipe did you get? I see kooks makes the catted x but i cant find their H pipe. Let me know please I want to run a similar set up. How much was it all?

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Thank you to the moderator who corrected the title of this thread to replace "splugered" with "splurged". I'll admit it did make me laugh every time I scanned the list of thread names in the 2005+ Talk section and saw the word "splugered". But even though I had immediately recognized that the OP had meant "splurged", it made me wonder what "splugered" would mean if it was a word. But now I'll probably never know. Guess I've just been "splugered".

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did get the catted h from kooks. I had Modular Depot here in Ky order mine. But they do sell them. The part number on the box says 6023-CH 2 1/2" Catted H Pipe. They recomended them to me actually. They said the x pipe would just sound to much like a tuner car. You lose HP with the H pipe but make up for it in low end tork. Thats the main difference between the two. I just finished the install last night and it sounds great. Not to loud and gives a great muscle car sound during exceleration. I will have to tell you though do not do the install without a lift. It is a [email protected]#$$. If you are doing the install with the long tube headers as well. They are part number 6022. I paid just about 1400.00 plus some shipping. Kooks is expensive but I guess you get what you pay for. They aren't much more that other top brands anyway. If you do the install your self just send me a message and I will give you some tips. Their instructions suck and leave out some steps that make the job easier.

What H pipe did you get? I see kooks makes the catted x but i cant find their H pipe. Let me know please I want to run a similar set up. How much was it all?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry. I can't spell worth a crap.

Thank you to the moderator who corrected the title of this thread to replace "splugered" with "splurged". I'll admit it did make me laugh every time I scanned the list of thread names in the 2005+ Talk section and saw the word "splugered". But even though I had immediately recognized that the OP had meant "splurged", it made me wonder what "splugered" would mean if it was a word. But now I'll probably never know. Guess I've just been "splugered".

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.