Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i gotta 02 gt and it has a 5 speed cobra tranny in it with a few bolt on's and i was leaving a friends house today and shifted kinda hard into second it went in but threw it right back out but i still had some pressure on the shifter and it did grind a little but now when i down shift to second it will throw it back out and grind just for a second but when i take off and shift to second it goes right in as long as i'm not to high in rpm's and it will still pull like a train. now does anybody know what the problem could be please help.....

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
Sounds like you may have damaged synchros or a problem with the shift fork, you can try changing the fluid, sometimes it helps, if you do use gm or penzoil synchromesh, its the best for these tranny's.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
"Cobra tranny"?

Do you mean a 6 speed, but no, you say 5 speed, so you are talking about a T45?

If so, its probably just as 366 says, though I would lean toward a bent fork.

If its a 3650, I would lean the other way, toward damaged synchros.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
If the tranny needs a rebuild, and assuming you don't do the labor yourself, it will vary a lot depending on the local shops.

Parts and labor for a rebuild would run you about $1000. If you go with an upgraded build, to handle more power, you can add shipping and core charges to that, but you can get a superior tranny for around $1600-2000.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Hold Up before you give up I'd check your cable adjustment, if your having trouble getting into gear at high rpms the clutch isn't fully disengaging, Many guys eliminate the plastic self adjuster inside the car(the metal bracket needs to be bent or dremeled out) and lift the pedal with force upwards to get a couple more clicks on the teeth,this way it stays on that specific tooth so there's no slack on the cable. If you want I can get a link to my friends how to instructions?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.