Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a friend of mine got himself, like 8 months ago, am 01 f-150 lightning, its his 3rd one hes ever had. well he wants a cobra badly and he offered me the truck for the cobra. i drove the beastly truck last night and it screams. it has a tune, intake, exhaust work and a s/c pulley drop. its got 120k miles and is in great shape. i think the kbb is somewhere like 13k if im not mistaken. what do you all think? 99 n/a cobra vert for a 01 5.4l s/c lightning? im 50/50 on it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
You're Cobra can scream pretty good too. I personally think you should keep you're cobra. The Lightning is a decent truck but the Cobra is something else. He is on his third F150 but is craving your ride, I think you would regret the trade.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats people have been telling me.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Do it :bigthumbsup you can make a lightning kill mustangs all day long.

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
well, I'd rather deal with the devil I know rather than the one I don't know..
Also you can be sure that thing sucks gasoline like the Exxon Valdez, I've heard they get like 10-12 mpg

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lol, yea i know, they are rated at 13 city and 16 hwy, 15 gallon tank.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do it :bigthumbsup you can make a lightning kill mustangs all day long.
yea i know. 0-60 in 5.2 seconds and a 1/4 mile of 13.8 stock. he ran once down the track just to shut some guy in a mustang up. spinning most the way down on stock tires he ran 13.6 at 104. its a pretty badass truck. one main reason i would trade is cause the wife cant drive a stick and the lightning is auto, also, its worth more.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I can't tell yah what I'd decide because I'd rather have both! But the scream of the lightning is tempting, yet a Cobra is something special so hmmm.

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
ask him to trade for a couple of days and see how you like it, personally I'd hate to have to drive a truck as a DD but to each his own...now as an addition to my collection, hell yeah

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ask him to trade for a couple of days and see how you like it, personally I'd hate to have to drive a truck as a DD but to each his own...now as an addition to my collection, hell yeah
he did say hed give it to me for a day to see how i like it. his friend with another lightning ran 12.7 in the 1/4 with close to the same setup 16 lbs of boost, a ported blower, intake, tune, exhaust, t/b, and nittos. only difference between the 2 is the one i would get doesnt have the ported blower or t/b.

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
I can appreciate the speed, however 99.9% of the time you are just driving, so consider that...I love my Stangs, but really my Infiniti gets most of my miles, nothing like a Bose stereo, air conditioned seats and an automatic trans when you are stuck in traffic

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
I have both and i guess it just depends on what you really need or want. Don't get me wrong, my L is fast with the mods it has but when you go against a mustang GT or Cobra, you have to factor in the lightnings weight. At least it has some good mods done to it so a GT would have to be highly modded to beat that L or a na Cobra with mods could run with one. My Cobra would put a bus length on my L.

If I drive my L on the hwy, no more than 70mph, i can get around 17-18mpg. When i logged it doing 80mph, i was getting 15mpg. City driving, stop and go and crap...it sucks.

But if i had to choose between a 99 cobra or a 01 L, I would probably get the L. It has power, they still look sick as hell, can tow or still carry a load in the bed. alot of people don't know about the Lightning for some reason, they think F150 until you blow their doors off and you leave them wondering..what the hell did that truck have...

a little of the bad....the 99-01 had the 3-4 thread heads and known for spark plugs to get spit out during driving or going WOT. I would also upgrade the water pump to the 03-04 model which had the better updated impeller and more efficient.

But atleast it's a 01, the 99-00 had some recalls on the intercooler leaking, has a smaller mass air, 20HP less, smaller driveshaft that was steel and could carry less in the back.

What size SC pulley on it? Does it have a lower pulley too? Seems most L guys just go with a lower 4-6lb pulley and leave the top stock but some do drop it to at least a 2.8 on the snout. Mine is stock on the snout and I have a 6lb lower. 391rwhp and 494rwtq and that was on the 5th dyno run. The guy messed up on the 4th run so we didn't know what it put down. it only had a few minute cool down, due to others getting dyno tuned, and he said to had around 7-10rwhp due to it not really getting a cool down. But since the paperwork says 391rwhp, that's what i tell people. I do have a SBTB and a ported plenum sitting around but when i take those off, i'm home porting my SC. Still need to upgrade the rear fuel pumps to 255's and the stock injectors will be fine.

If you do get it, i would still get it on a dyno just to check out the AF ratio.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Wow thats a hard situation you got there lol. If it were my choice Id keep the cobra but thats me lol.

Id never trade my mach or GT for a lightning lol.:nogrinner

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
I would def drive it for a week and see what you think. It would be a hard decision to make.

·
Registered
164 Posts
damn hard one haha, feel bad for ya hahaa, i would prolly keep the stang unless the L is in perfect condition.. just my 0.02 cents

·
Registered
958 Posts
I would def drive it for a week and see what you think. It would be a hard decision to make.
If you are really that deadlocked on the decision 2oo5GT is right at least drive the L for a week to see if you REALLY REALLY LIKE it... If not Id say no deal...

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
oh im not deadlocked on it. im not gonna do the trade. i just dont see myself in a truck regardless off how powerful it is.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well another trade offer...... a black 04 dodge neon srt4 with 72k miles. very clean, its quick and mostly stock, still stock boost. very well maintained, rebuilt tranny, tuner, bigger intercooler and 3" downpipe. im considering this one.

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
well another trade offer...... a black 04 dodge neon srt4 with 72k miles. very clean, its quick and mostly stock, still stock boost. very well maintained, rebuilt tranny, tuner, bigger intercooler and 3" downpipe. im considering this one.
what? A dodge? And you think your Stang has problems...

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
lol. i knew someone would say something. lol, i was just kidding about trading for it, but it was offered to me.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts