Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i have a 95 twin turbo mustang 5.0 gt and i have installed them my self and i'm pretty happy with the over looks of my job as in my welding, where i placed them, the customization's i did to fix everything in there.
But.... as far as running i'm not to happy at all with. this was my first time boosting anything so i'm sure its something that i am doing wrong... i already know i messed up by doing this to a motor that has a cam in it already and no telling if the bottom end has been touched. i bought the car as a basket case and got it going and i put the twin t3t4 turbos on it. it would start running like crap after 4500 , 5000 rpms and i figured it was getting fuel deprived from the boost. so i got 42lb injectors and adjustable fuel pressure regulator and a 340lph fuel pump. and also an air fuel gauge that i haven't had a chance to put on because after i put my fuel parts on i test drove it started doing the same thing went straight back home and the next morning when i started it. it was running so bad i couldn't leave the drive. pulled the plugs and they was all fuel falled and one was burn up and i had the E3 plugs in it (don't know if the were worth a damn to begin with)
my buddy was telling me a need a mass air flow for 42lb injectors to fix the problem... does any one know if it will help or if im just pissing more money away.. also another mechanic friend said i need to program my prong chip in my pcm to widen my pulse width, but dont see how it would help when im running rich now...
any comments will help me greatly i just wanna get my car running like it should be. i have been very patient with my project but now its just depressing on the weekends not having it on the road...
Someone please help me get my baby on the road! :(

P.S. don't hate on the dirty engine picture. was before i cleaned it and put my fuel parts on it

Attachments

·
Administrator
8,725 Posts
Welcome to the site! Hopefully another member will be by soon with more knowledge of your situation.

·
Registered
676 Posts
if you are just running 42lb injectors and haven't touched the maf or tuned the car then yes the 42lb calibrated maf will fix it. In my opinion that's a band aid for a boosted car like yours. You need to get it professionally tuned. The car as is still thinks you have 19lb injectors and the pulse width is calibrated for the injector. Your injecting 221% more fuel with the same pulse width as a 19lb injector.

Get it tuned or get the calibrated maf. Both technically do it the same way, but a tune is the proper way; especially on a boosted car.

Reactions: dustin2100

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, Thank you i'm going to look into getting one today and let everyone know how it goes.
Thanks Rob

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So i was also told that a MAF off of a 99-00 ford lightning would work? any thoughts? they have 42lb injectors stock.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Hmm this could be tricky. It could work, it might not. It depends on where they did the calibration for the injector size. Typically a factory car will have it properly calibrated in the tables on the computer. (They did this on 93 cobra) If that's the case then it wont work. The computer on your car will just think its a normal 19lb "calibrated" MAF. Ill try to do some more research.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Did some more digging and what I said above is correct. Ford had the injector "calibration" in the computer. The lightning MAF will not work.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I agree with krem....you need the right maf for the car. But having the Car tuned would be hands down the best option. Your trying to run a boosted car with a computer that's tuned for a N/A car. Also do you have a boost controller? Or something too help with boost or the EFI system at all?

Reactions: Krem12

·
Registered
978 Posts
Yes, you may get away with the mass curved for the 42# injector BUT the 94-95 ECM are a bit of a pain they are a bit smarter then the fox ECM. Best bet for you would to be get a tune or a way to tune it with supporting software that you can buy or move over to a standalone unit but in the end you will still need a tune if you go that way. Nice build also.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts