Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
please help me, I have an 86 5.0 gt that is all stock except for the flowmaster exhaust, it is hard to start and after it starts the rpm's will go up and down and it will also do this at stop lights, so far i have changed the idle control motor and gave it a tune up plugs, wires, cap and rotor, what should my next move be, change the tps or O2 sensors?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Change your o2 sensors, mine has a bad o2 sensor, and does the same thing, getting terrible fuel mileage as well. Im in the process of changing it right now. They cost around 30 to 50 bucks maybe cheaper givin where you go to get them, their not too difficult to change, use plenty of penetrating oil to get em out.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Does it just crank for a long time before starting or does it crank slow and hard?

·
Registered
617 Posts
Don't change anything until you get the codes.You're just burning cash if you don't know whats wrong.I had the same problem and in my case it turned out to be a clogged fuel return line.The part was all of seven bucks.The first thing is always the codes.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it takes a long time to start and how do i find the codes the shops i've contacted said it won't give them a code they just would go over the entire vehicle and test all the components and then tell me whats wrong and that is going to cost me a 100 bux, so do you know where i can find a code reader? and thanks for all of your input.:bigthumbsup

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.