Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you have to pull the engine to change the valve springs on a 1996 ford Mustang. If not can you please give me advice on how to do this?

·
Registered
431 Posts
no you just have to take the heads off (preferably) but itd be recommended to have a shop do it if you dont have that much experience with doing things like this.

·
Registered
214 Posts
you should not have to take the head off either. to replace a spring you can use a compression gauge hose and put shop air to it and install it where the spark plug goes. you then use a spring compressor to remove the valve keepers and then you can remove the spring. The air keeps the valve from falling into the eng. depending on the cyl it should not take long only a couple of hours.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
it is a tedious job with the motor in the car but can be done with no problems. you will need a special valve spring tool if working on the 4.6. it will take you a good 3 hours time you tear it apart and put it back together even longer if you dont have much knowledge of it.

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
I agree with all of the above, it can be done, but it may also depend on why you want to change the springs... if you are upgrading, doing it with the heads on should be ok, if you had a failure, might be much better to pull the heads at least.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
are you going to do a whole set of springs or just fix that one? I have some low mileage springs if you need one for free.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.