Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK..this is kinda weird, lol. Well tonight I came home from the movies, turned of my car, blah blah blah..and as I'm walking up the driveway I hear an engine fire up. Oddly enough, that engine is mine. MY CAR FREAKING STARTED ITSELF!!! IT HAS A MIND OF ITS OWN!!!! lol. Now remember, the doors are locked and my keys are in my hand, so no one could have done this. Actually it has done this once before and we took it in and got it fixed (figured it was the starter or ignition). When this happens, the key can be put in, turned to the on position and taken out and nothing happens. The first time it just eventually turned itself off (idk when because i had to go into school) and this time i put my foot on the brake (i was gonna shift out of park and take it around the block and try to turn it off) and then it turned off. Sorry..kind of a long post but I wanted to give a lot of details. Its an auto with about 117K miles (if that matters). Thank u tons for any help!!!

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Wow man, that is odd.....I have heard that happening before, but it was with carbed engines. That almost does sound like a faulty ignition switch, ill read through my tech books tonight if Kscoyote doesnt respond first. You may try to reset the computer first and see if it happens again. Just disconnect the negative battery terminal for 5 minutes the reconnect.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Command start?

Hey,

I'm not sure where you are, but here in Canada it is popular to have a remote start system to start your car from in the house so you can warm it up in the winter without braving the cold. Where am I going with this? If you start your car with a remote start there is a security measure where it shuts off when you hit the brake so it can't be put in drive. If the key is in the egnition that measure is disabled and you can take off. I know it is unlikely, but you don't have that unknowingly installed in your car, do you? Maybe you got your car second hand and it was installed? Maybe someone has it on your car as a present but they aren't going to tell you until later? OK, this is all far fetched , but that's what your problem reminded me of!

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Ive done some work on his car, he doesnt have a remote start.

·
Registered
11,433 Posts
98Mustang said:
Hey,

I'm not sure where you are, but here in Canada it is popular to have a remote start system to start your car from in the house so you can warm it up in the winter without braving the cold. Where am I going with this? If you start your car with a remote start there is a security measure where it shuts off when you hit the brake so it can't be put in drive. If the key is in the egnition that measure is disabled and you can take off. I know it is unlikely, but you don't have that unknowingly installed in your car, do you? Maybe you got your car second hand and it was installed? Maybe someone has it on your car as a present but they aren't going to tell you until later? OK, this is all far fetched , but that's what your problem reminded me of!
yeah that's what it usually is, a previous installation the owner doesn't know about. And someone else has a key fob with the same signal . .. .

Usually happens in apartment complexes . . .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.