Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to install headers, cat less h-pipe, bigger throttle body and plenum on my '04 GT. After all of these mods, I would imagine that I will need to tune the computer to get the most out of the bolt on mods. I hear you guys talking about tuners all the time but am a little unclear on what they exactly are. Are you talking about bringing your car to a hi performance shop and having someone tune the car for you? Or do you mean buying a handheld computer tuner that you can do yourself? I would like to do this myself but want to know which handheld tuner will adjust my air/fuel ratio, shut off my rear o2 sensors and the other typical things that can be done. Has anyone done this themselves and with which tool. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
184 Posts
You can do it one of two ways, take it to a shop that has a Dyno, purchase a chip and let them burn a custom tune into the chip. Or you can purchase a hand held tuner which you can make adjustments on yourself. If you are far away from a shop that can do a custom tune, the hand held may more cost effective for you. MD has a special going on the SCT tuners right now. They will even burn a custom tune for you prior to mailing it out.

http://www.modulardepot.com/product_info.php?cPath=33&products_id=238

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your info. I don't even know of a tuner shop around here... Southern Maine, plus I don't really like the idea of having someone putting my car on a dyno, no one has even sat in the drivers seat other than me. haha, ok I'm a little obsessive but thats the way it goes. Will I need to have computer work done with those mods I'm talking about? 800 bucks sounds little much for just those simple bolt ons that I would like to put on.
Thanks Again

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
id get over my fear of letting others drive or run your car, dyno is more so the best way and safest to tune your car. If you lean the car out your self.... you can seriously hurt the motor and thats more $ you have to put into your car that can go toward your S/Cer.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
Yes, if you really want the most of the mods, then you need to have it done professionally. This includes dyno testing. Like carguy said, if you do this yourself, you are way more likely to make a mistake and cause serious engine damage to the car. No one wants that. A 'tuner' is nothing more than a handheld computer that can rewrite data to your ECU. SCT Xcalibratur 2 & Diablo Predator are very good tuners and can do everything you're looking for. They can also recalibrate the speedo for gear and tire size changes, turn off the EGR switch, timing curves, speed and rev limiters, traction control off at startup and read diagnostic trouble codes. And remember, as with any other hobby, you gotta pay to play.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BlueStreak03 said:
Yes, if you really want the most of the mods, then you need to have it done professionally. This includes dyno testing. Like carguy said, if you do this yourself, you are way more likely to make a mistake and cause serious engine damage to the car. No one wants that. A 'tuner' is nothing more than a handheld computer that can rewrite data to your ECU. SCT Xcalibratur 2 & Diablo Predator are very good tuners and can do everything you're looking for. They can also recalibrate the speedo for gear and tire size changes, turn off the EGR switch, timing curves, speed and rev limiters, traction control off at startup and read diagnostic trouble codes. And remember, as with any other hobby, you gotta pay to play.
So if you were to do the bolt on's I'm talking about, would you just get the hand held tuner and thats it? Can't I talk to the people that make the tuner and tell them my combo and have a custom chip burnt or they can tell me what to re-write with a tuner? Thanks again.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you so much guys for clearing this up for me. Any information is very helpful.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
Yes, you can call the maker of the tuner and have a tune burned for you. However, keep in mind that there's no way to make sure the tune is right for your car.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.