Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The extent of my knowledge is that they create more horsepower but that is it. I've also heard that they make your car louder, but how much louder will they make it? Also, will shorty headers hook up to the stock midpipe? I don't want to go long tubes since I wouldn't be able to pass inspection here in CA. Thanks for the help in advance.

·
Registered
604 Posts
DarkShadowGT03 said:
The extent of my knowledge is that they create more horsepower but that is it. I've also heard that they make your car louder, but how much louder will they make it? Also, will shorty headers hook up to the stock midpipe? I don't want to go long tubes since I wouldn't be able to pass inspection here in CA. Thanks for the help in advance.
You will gain some HP, but not much. Are you looking to make your car faster or just louder? Gears would be the best investment if you are looking for speed...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In terms of speed, all I really want to do is get some gears and a tuner. I'd rather have my car sound like a beast than having it be the fastest stang on the block, but don't get me wrong, I def. want my car to be fast as well so later on down the road I might get a supercharger. But for now I just want it to be loud more than anything.

·
Banned
2,185 Posts
For the loudest setup, you would want an off-road mid-pipe, however that leaves you with the emissions problem you mentioned. A mid-pipe with hi-flow cats and the SLP Loudmouth or Magnapacks would suit your needs just fine. Good Luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
You can make your car sound like a beast with out putting on headers, plus if you do headers with stock exhaust, you will see only little hp gain and not much grrrrrr.

I would say go with a new mid off road pipe and cat back..... ya you have to swap the mid out with stock every time you smog it, but i think it's worth it.
And i know what you mean about Cali smog, it sucks i have one due next week and just finished swoping all my stock stuff back on.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
If you REALLY want to do headers, go ahead and get long tubes. The factory shot tubes are pretty damn good and even the best ceramic coated aftermarket ones will net a minimal gain. Long tubes will make more power, the only downside is you HAVE to replace the stock midpipe when you do the headers.

·
Registered
573 Posts
DarkShadowGT03 said:
Well, I am your example...I have JBA shorty headers on my 98 right now, I am switching to the BBK ceramic with a BBK short catted Xpipe (they will make way more power and sound)..........all I had to add was extended o2 sensors..........
You will pass inspection as long as your o2's are hooked up & deleted via Chip/tune.....
in a few weeks I will post a dyno....

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
TK421DS said:
BBK short catted Xpipe (\
Do you mean an X pipe for shorty headers or the opposite?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.