Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figure before I tie the knot, I am going to buy spend a little bit of cash on the car before she officially says I can't.

I want to Supercharge my 2000 GT. It is bone stock. I want this done the right way, but what is the best way to go about it. What should I consider replacing, and what are my supercharging options. I don't want to spend more than $6 grand.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Steve, congrats on finding both the right car and the right woman.
You want to consider purchasing a s/charger with an intercooler/aftercooler. While more expensive than a non charge-cooled unit (and probably requiring moving the battery to the trunk and a few more bucks there) it is cheaper to do it all at once and will return better horsepower. Car will also want some gears, 3.73 is normal upgrade, chip, and tuning. Gear change will require speedo correction but should be able to do that in chip. You may also want to consider some 9"/10" rear wheels to match your fronts if possible and some 275/40/17 or better 315/35/17 tires on rear. Car would also like some exhaust mods. I feel the $6K amount is enough to have everything done here I have suggested except maybe the exhaust. Tell us where you're located so we can suggest shops unless you have one in mind - is your car really 100% stock now?

An aftercooled Vortech in a stick car w/mid-pipe and cat-back should make safe 375rwhp+ though could be tuned higher than that. Kits from Vortech/Procharger are pretty complete and shop can tell you what else you might need (watch those suggestions carefully) If the $6K is fixed, a non charge-cooled Vortech w/the exhaust mods should give you about 340hp at the rear wheels.

·
Registered
104 Posts
goodluck saving.........every time i save something happens and i gotta dip into the savings.....yukkk......

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Hmm... that seems to happen to me also, it seems we have an epidemic on our hands...lol SteveJ, these forums are packed with good info, use the search function for specific needs. Also you need to make a sig so we all know what year car and so forth. Good luck.

·
Registered
98 Posts
ATI procharger makes a good supercharger with an intercooler. if you are planning to run more than 8psi you are gonna want to get new injectors.
but like meatball said that 6 grand mark is a good amount for a pretty quick car. ATI says to get a 99 lightning mass air meter, or you can go through Pro M. but get the gear, the tune, and a full exhaust and be careful with what headers you get. i just got BBK shorty headers and they are turning into a huge pain.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
Definitely drop the cash to get a good dyno tune. The tune on a boosted engine is key to keeping the engine from grenading itself.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the help. I am in Houston. I kept the car stock, because I was into crotch rockets and I just sold it. Money went to ring, so now the rest to the car. Woman first, then car. I hope it doesn't end up being woman first, and never the car. Well, the bike is gone, so I need my speed somewhere else. I am firm on the $6K. I have had issues with the car that cost me couple fingers and toes. Just replaced the stupid intake manifold...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
One more thing...how much boost before I have to change internals.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
SteveJ said:
Thanks for the help. I am in Houston. I kept the car stock, because I was into crotch rockets and I just sold it. Money went to ring, so now the rest to the car. Woman first, then car. I hope it doesn't end up being woman first, and never the car. Well, the bike is gone, so I need my speed somewhere else. I am firm on the $6K. I have had issues with the car that cost me couple fingers and toes. Just replaced the stupid intake manifold...
1) Intake manifold - if this was because it cracked, you ARE aware Ford will pay you for that, right?

2) My vote on your $6k is to find best deal on charge-cooled S/Charger incl. the battery relocate, and get some gears. You also want professionally tuned chip (can correct speedo there) and keep combo no more than 400rwhp. If keep oil in it and don't live on rev-limiter, should be durable. Look at Powerpipes (C&L, Anderson Ford Mustang; around $250, cheap HP) and keep boost under 10lbs, stock Vortechs are in the 6-8lbs range - Powerpipe will up that some.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Meatball!

It was a cracked intake. I called Ford Service to see if it was part of recalll, and he told me, after checking my VIN number, that I was not eligible for the recall. Not sure what I can do now, but if you have any suggestions please let me know.

Does anyone recommend places here in Houston?

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
SteveJ said:
Thanks Meatball!

It was a cracked intake. I called Ford Service to see if it was part of recalll, and he told me, after checking my VIN number, that I was not eligible for the recall. Not sure what I can do now, but if you have any suggestions please let me know.

Does anyone recommend places here in Houston?
-- Your intake has an aluminum crossover or not? - don't see how you can NOT be part of recall. I'd double check: http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=666348

http://www.houstonperformance.com/

·
Registered
162 Posts
I am planning on getting the ATI Procharger very soon myself. I already have the 42lb injectors sitting at the house so that part is taken care of. But do you really need a new bigger MAF sensor? ATI told me that you didnt need one. I could have gotten a gret deal on the lightning 90mm MAF and the injectors if I had bought them together but I didnt get the MAF because they said it wasnt needed.

And like green-01 said, BBK shorties are a pain. Mine leak like mad, I ordered a replacement set and the flange was warped bigger than home made sin. So they had to go back. Then after 2 more tries to get the right ones for the car with no success, I had to call in some complaints and am now going with the BBK Chrome long tubes with the short O/R x-pipe.

Is anyone interested in a UPR O/R x-pipe for a 99-04 I think? I'm not gonna be needing it anymore.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
You can get by with the stock MAF, but you'll really be choking the motor down. I've heard guys are having a some really good results with a Lightning MAF, I think it's 85 or 90mm. You can probably sell those 42lb injectors you have. I'm pretty sure the blower kit comes with them.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Yes, you want the bigger MAF, and Powerpipe, and intercooler.
Your car is going to be loud.

·
Registered
162 Posts
BlueStreak03 said:
You can get by with the stock MAF, but you'll really be choking the motor down. I've heard guys are having a some really good results with a Lightning MAF, I think it's 85 or 90mm. You can probably sell those 42lb injectors you have. I'm pretty sure the blower kit comes with them.

No I just bought the injectors for the simple purpose that they are the only thing that is needed that doesnt come in the kit. And yes the Lightning MAF is 90mm. Now I wish I had bought the MAF with the injectors cause I would have gotten a much better deal on it all together.

And what in the hell is the power pipe supposed to do. Of course I've seen them in the magazines and all but really wtf?

·
Registered
162 Posts
meatball said:
Yes, you want the bigger MAF, and Powerpipe, and intercooler.
Your car is going to be loud.

Well I am getting the BBK long tubes and the BBK o/r x-pipe and keeping the flowmaster after cat. So is it gonna be louder with the new headers and x-pipe as opposed to the shorties with the UPR o/r x-pipe.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
POWERPIPE: more volume & smoother intake air to s/charger; probably good for 2lbs of addit. boost and 25+ hp. At $250 that's cheap HP. Think it's going to be loud either way; mine is a bit too much. JBA shorties, Magnaflow stainless X w/cats, Dynomax in rear, 10lbs boost. Actually worse in car than outside.

·
Registered
162 Posts
meatball said:
POWERPIPE: more volume & smoother intake air to s/charger; probably good for 2lbs of addit. boost and 25+ hp. At $250 that's cheap HP. Think it's going to be loud either way; mine is a bit too much. JBA shorties, Magnaflow stainless X w/cats, Dynomax in rear, 10lbs boost. Actually worse in car than outside.
So the Power pipe goes between where, the filter and supercharger or does it actually hook to the throttle body. I am going to have a 3 core intercooler regardless, plus I am only going to be running 8 psi. Unless I ever build the motor up to take the pressure then I will just stay with the 8 psi and try and be happy with it.

And on the exhuast thing, you say yours is loud and all but its really not. I want it to be like people's ears and eyes bleed when I go driving by. Like my truck. It sounds awesome and its louder than god awful sin. I mean its like shattering windows 4 states over. Anyways, I would love for it to be louder but I still want it to have a really cool sound to it to, but I dont want to hack up the exhaust system thats on there now just to trial and error my way to what I want. Although I have a feeling, the long tubes and the new x-pipe are gonna end up making it a little quieter. In the pictures of the BBK x-pipe it looks like there is quite a bit of room for the exhaust gases to move around between the pipes and that will in itself quieten it down some. Plus my buddy's car just like mine, same cat back and o/r x-pipe, his sounds louder cause he still has the stock manifolds. I just want it to be loud as hell and still sound cool, but I figure the only way to do that will be the whole trial and error thing.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Powerpipe goes between s/charger and air filter sort of. PM me w/email address, send you some pics. When looking at charge-cooling (intercooler/aftercooler) please, please look at air-to-water units NOT air-to-air. Drop in discharge temps air-to-air just not significant enough. I'll post another pic in my Gallery though won't be approved right away. PPipe is in lower left, coming from fenderwell to s/c. Larger pipe & smoother flow = more boost & more HP.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.