Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there has been threads about this, but to be honest I was to lazy to go look for them. I have an 04 Termi, and I have the clunk when rolling off the throttle but mostly when getting back into the throttle. I remember some people saying this was something up with the IRS but I can't remember.... Help me out guys!

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
It's probably the differential bushings, the rubber tears apart..
Have a Stang speed shop in your area put it up on a lift to inspect..

·
Registered
490 Posts
it is the bushings! but idont remember how to fix besides replace the bushings? can u just tighten it?

·
Registered
516 Posts
clunk

bushings need to be replaced...

remember oem bushings cost alot for what they are,

steeda or whoever else you get are poly bushings...they last forever but you will feel a rougher ride from them..

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
+1 those stock rubber bushings fall apart after a few years. The diff bushing can cause that clunk but i would check soon. The rear end casing is aluminum and once the bushing is falling apart, it can start wearing in to that ear mount piece on the diff.

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
it is the bushings! but idont remember how to fix besides replace the bushings? can u just tighten it?
If you try to just tighten it, you can crush out the rotten bushing even more, then it could be metal on metal.

·
Registered
31 Posts
This is MY experience that eliminated the "clunk." First, I replaced the IRS subframe bushings with a poly kit from Steeda, which included proper front bolts as Ford installed 12 mm bolts when they should have been 14 mm's. This reduced the "clunk" but did not eliminate it.

Last summer, I had to drop my pumpkin to do a re-seal. At the same time, I installed poly differential bushings and a Billet-Flow IRS brace. The OEM rubber bushings are VERY soft. This final bushing replacement eliminated the "clunk" entirely.

This is my experience; your results may vary. Good luck.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Man, I have done the bushing, irs brace, hard launch bar, changed the bolts to 14mm, lol. . .the clunk still remains, actually it seems like got a lot better but honestly do not expect it to be gone.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.