Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are a million of these but I am just so excited! Saturday Morning I am taking my good ol' Pontiac Sunfire and trading it in. I will be leaving the dealership driving a 2012 Black on black V6 Premium (with snow tires already on (yeah its Canada, what of it?))

I plan on giving it a really thorough look paint check, under all the lips, doors and trunk, and hood. Then starting it up and listening to it purr for a minute and make sure it doesn't 'tick' before taking it on a spirited driving around town and the expressway.

While I'm driving i will fiddle with the Shaker 500, but should i worry about sync? like pair my phone and make sure the voice and bluetooth work, or is sync generally fine and i shouldnt waste my time at the dealer doing it?

Is there anything that i should really focus on? or can I assume that because its a new car it should come out of the factory functioning well.

Once i get it home i plan on spraying on some ScotchGuard over the seats, carpet, and trunk. Then I might stare at it while I eat dinner, and spend the rest of the long weekend driving it haha

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
Congratulations for your new Mustang! I had the dealership paired my iPhone with Sync.
Have fun and enjoy it, you're gonna love it! :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
355 Posts
Congrats man. I would have the dealership show you how to pair your phone just to make sure there are no problems with it. My opinion is if you have time, why not? I would also pay special attention to the black paint. A few of us have had some quality issues with. Once again, congratulations and make sure to give us some pics!

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Congratulations on your new ride,I dont think your going to miss the Ol Pontiac.post up some pics when you get her home.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
274 Posts
You should be excited! It's a new car. Mustang Premium at that. Sync is great. I have the navigation unit and can press the voice button and say things like "Destination Mexican restaurant" and it will list them. The quiet smooth ride is what made me trade in my 2008 GT/CS. I like the smooth ride so much, the door jam says inflate the tires to 35 PSI but, I bring that down to 30 PSI and I still get well over 30 MPG on highway trips. My 2008 Mustang door jam said 32 PSI. I don't know why Ford pumped that up to 35 PSI. Those 3 PSI's don't get you any better gas mileage.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Is there anything that i should really focus on? or can I assume that because its a new car it should come out of the factory functioning well.
Congratulations! Bringing home a new car is always fun times...a Mustang even more so.

Don't take anything for granted as far as the inspection goes. Sure the dealer will have done PDI but check everything out anyway. Pop the hood, Check the oil level, look in the trunk, does the glove box open? How about the arm rest storage lid? Head lights? Signals? I would also advise that you take it around the block first before you sign anything. Engine sound okay? Is it shifting right? Is the suspension making any strange sounds? Best to nip these things in the bud before you sign.

Like you said glaring issues are not common with factory fresh cars but they do happen.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Good trade-up...the Pontiac Sunfire is the universal choice of bad drivers everywhere. It's the classic tack a cheap spoiler and chintzy mags on and bubba thinks it's a sports car.

Now you'll not be tarred with that brush anymore:)

Paint on new cars ain't what it used to be, with all the eco-friendly materials and water base there can be a fair bit of orange peel. Plus, the clearcoat on these cars is as hard as an arborite countertop. I have a Red Candy (upgrade paint) 2012 GT and it's paint is allright but, not show-car perfection.

I have Nav/Tech and I passed on the intro to it. I had it figured out in about 20 minutes with the book, at least for the stuff I need it for. For something Microsoft had a hand in, it's pretty user friendly.

Btw, I'm Canadian, too...keeripes we pay alot for cars up here, lol

·
Registered
164 Posts
Btw, I'm Canadian, too...keeripes we pay alot for cars up here, lol
Ahh that GST too. I haven't been to Canada since I was about 20 years old (20 years ago), and I live about an hour away.

Nice to see so many Canadians here buying the Mustangs, though.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
wow...moving from a Sunfire to a Mustang....pretty good upgrade if you ask me. :bigthumbsup

The dealership offered to show me the ins and outs of the car but since i already have an Escape, I bypassed. Ask them to show you about sync and how it works. Once you see how the system runs, its pretty easy. I couldnt imagine having the car now without sync....nothing better than listening to pandora rather than the regular radio.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good trade-up...the Pontiac Sunfire is the universal choice of bad drivers everywhere. It's the classic tack a cheap spoiler and chintzy mags on and bubba thinks it's a sports car.

Now you'll not be tarred with that brush anymore:)
Wow, I dont know what its like up in BC but i have never heard of that stereotype, nor have i ever seen a pimped out Sunfire haha

This was my mums car, and she sold it to me after buying a Cobalt a fews back. Now that I am out of school, and have a good job (and got this thing for about 10 grand under MSRP) I figure i should go for it!

Thanks everyone, i will go over the paint job well, and have them go through sync with me.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Wow, I dont know what its like up in BC but i have never heard of that stereotype, nor have i ever seen a pimped out Sunfire haha
Same mess goes on in Alberta and Sask as well. Common place really. That and the unpainted fiberglass import tuner crowd. It really is a huge demographic. The worst is when those 2 ideals collide together on a Sunfire...yuck!

Mind you sometimes the bad you know is better than the bad you don't. Moved here and found that St. Louis is full of 85 Impalas, 85 Cadillacs or 98 Le Sabers (things don't rust very easy here) with 22" wheels that give the car more clearance than an F150 4x4. Not to mention that they add 300kgs of unsprung weight.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Congratulations! Bringing home a new car is always fun times...a Mustang even more so.

Don't take anything for granted as far as the inspection goes. Sure the dealer will have done PDI but check everything out anyway. Pop the hood, Check the oil level, look in the trunk, does the glove box open? How about the arm rest storage lid? Head lights? Signals? I would also advise that you take it around the block first before you sign anything. Engine sound okay? Is it shifting right? Is the suspension making any strange sounds? Best to nip these things in the bud before you sign.

Like you said glaring issues are not common with factory fresh cars but they do happen.
Agreed. Check that oil right in front of them. Go over everything and don't be afraid to ask them questions or point out something blatantly wrong. Most likely you won't have any issues, but it never hurts...

Paring your phone with Sync is easy as pie, but have them show you anyway. I love Sync! Read your owners manual and don't be too spirited for the first few miles. Coming from a Sunfire to this car will be somewhat different to say the least.

I had to chuckle to myself when you said you might just stare at it while you eat...LOL...My wife asked me if I was planning on sleeping in mine when I got her home. I didn't, but I wanted too. :winks

Congrats! Oh, and pictures are mandatory here. Welcome!

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I had to chuckle to myself when you said you might just stare at it while you eat...LOL...My wife asked me if I was planning on sleeping in mine when I got her home. I didn't, but I wanted too. :winks

Congrats! Oh, and pictures are mandatory here. Welcome!

The car or the wife? :kooky:

·
Registered
684 Posts
If you are gonna driver her in the winter I would not be so picky about the paint on delivery, lol. But enjoy the new ride!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts