Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can you tell me what you mean.....thanks

·
Registered
135 Posts
This is the second car i've owned with OBD-II (on board diagnostics) and
since the other one is 'hers' I only knew that it was an annoying idiot light thrower

but..

thats not all. That computer is smart.
Think about a tuner as a platform to program your car, literally.
Lights, sensors and tolerances, shift points, air fuel mix, gear ratios, you name it
if there is math involved you can most likely tweak it.

Side note: this started in the '96 models (i believe)
if you own a '94-'95 you have OBD-I = not near as smart.
before that you just have gears and pulleys so tuners lose their luster.
Someone correct me if my years are wrong.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Can you advance timing with tuners or is that something mechanical?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Im not to sure about the years for OBD II with the mustang, but i know ford made the ranger OBD II in 94 i believe, when they changed the body style. I used to have a 95 ranger and it was OBD II, dont know if ford did that on the mustang though. The standard is 96 and up though for OBD II

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Yes Spark Advance and Fuel parameters can be adjusted with the Predator and SCT but only at WOT, a custom tune is needed for part throttle tweaking!:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
454 Posts
I have a SCT X3 and I can adjust the timing through differant RPM ranges ( 0-2000 - 2001-4000 4001-6000 etc.) you can add up to 4 deg. or take it out. and the fuel you can only change for WOT.
Jimmy B.

·
Registered
406 Posts
whats the differance between the pre loaded, and custom tunes one? which one should i get?

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Preloaded is the canned tune that comes on the hand held, a Custom tune is done with special software either on a Dyno or through a Tuners expertise with the engine combo you have!
Must canned tunes are on the mild side timing wise, I managed a 5% Spark Advance at both rpm settings on the 93 Octane Predator one! And I wasn't aware that the Xcal could adjust part throttle timing? I'll have to look into that:headscratch:

·
Registered
562 Posts
How much of a power gain will you see in advancing the timing? How bout on a forced induction?

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
advancing timing wont get you a whole lot of power out of a Na stock mustang, I'd say about 5-15hp. That margin goes up with more mods.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
When you advance timing you also need to monitor your A/F ratio to see if you need to richen or lean the mixture, the EEC-V ECU responds well when tuned right. An example when I did a Dyno run with a very aggressive WOT Spark advance I actually lost power cause it got lean, I richened the fuel and boom more HP!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.