Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
But, I'm serious should I uprgrade my v6 or buy a GT. Its a 2000 conv. 5 speed only has 54000 miles on it.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
Gro_oms said:
But, I'm serious should I uprgrade my v6 or buy a GT. Its a 2000 conv. 5 speed only has 54000 miles on it.
Depends on your goals.

If you like rodding, the six will be cheaper all the way around. It will save you $10,000 over 5 years.

If you don't like rodding, and want it all in a package, go for the GT.

Look at your budget (including insurance, financing, gas, etc.), look at what you want to do, and make the decision that will make you happy!

Either way, you win!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Fordguy13 said:
my rule of thumb, "its not muscle if theres not V8"
I would definately go with the v8. You won't always having to be sticking up for yourself and your car. People just really like to pick on 6 cylinder cars when there is a V8 version. Plus with a V8, you can upgrade it to be a total monster. A 6 cylinder has to be upgraded to be as good as a V8.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
lthompson05 said:
I would definately go with the v8. You won't always having to be sticking up for yourself and your car. People just really like to pick on 6 cylinder cars when there is a V8 version. Plus with a V8, you can upgrade it to be a total monster. A 6 cylinder has to be upgraded to be as good as a V8.
maybe, but with $10000, you can make it a monster as well.

Yentzler's was built for $7000, and he's in the 10s.

·
Registered
158 Posts
kscoyote said:
maybe, but with $10000, you can make it a monster as well.

Yentzler's was built for $7000, and he's in the 10s.
Do that with a GT and it would be even better. MY perspective is I would always be wishing I had bought the GT (if I bought a 6 cylinder) because it would always be one step below the GT's with close to the same money spent and modifications added. The only way I would buy a 6 cylinder is if it was an '05.

·
Registered
487 Posts
From my experience, (drag racing a 67 fastback for 13 years), and now the 2005, go with the GT

Reason is....speed is addictive....you always want to go faster....and while many people have done good things with a V6, its easier to go faster with the V8...more cubic inches and a larger selection of aftermarket parts to help you reach your goal...

But............ how fun it would be to build a V6 stang that would run 10's and clean the clocks off of many a V8....and see the stunned victims react as you pop the hood to show them the v6:eyepoppin ......how much would that be worth????:evillol:

Go either way....just make sure you have fun doing it!!!

·
Registered
83 Posts
I would go with the GT or Cobra. You can find really nice used Cobras
(1996-1999) all over ebay. Some with newly rebuilt engines with over 550 hp at the wheels, and some low mileage originals. And to boot, they are about 10-15 grand less than a 2005 GT.
Do a search, you'll like what you see, I did. If you want to learn the whole process, I can step you through it.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I would take a 99-04 Cobra over an '05 GT any day. Ebay is really a good place, also try autotrader.com and cars.com.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
lthompson05 said:
Do that with a GT and it would be even better. MY perspective is I would always be wishing I had bought the GT (if I bought a 6 cylinder) because it would always be one step below the GT's with close to the same money spent and modifications added. The only way I would buy a 6 cylinder is if it was an '05.
yeah, but it'll be 17000 out of your pocket, instead of 7000.

And if you go used, you have to worry about previous owner abuse.

·
Registered
158 Posts
kscoyote said:
yeah, but it'll be 17000 out of your pocket, instead of 7000.

And if you go used, you have to worry about previous owner abuse.
Here's a '99 Cobra for only 14,000.

http://autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=190287691&dealer_id=53967471&car_year=1999&bkms=1132681312997&model=MUST&num_records=100&lang=&isp=y&start_year=1996&certified=&search_type=used&distance=0&first_record=601&make=FORD&min_price=8000&sponsorModel=&address=95628&advanced=&end_year=2004&pager.offset=600&max_price=15000&cardist=0

He was planning on buying a '00 6 cylinder. I bet there is a BIG difference in power/performance between a '99 Cobra and '00 6 well worth the money.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
lthompson05 said:
Just out of curiousity, why would you choose a cobra over a '05 GT? Not trying to start up a GT vs cobra..just curious is all:)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have a 00 6 cylinder I dont know what i would get if i sell it or trade it in. I would rather have the 99-04 cobra over a 05 gt. I am only sixteen so my budget is very low right now.

·
Registered
158 Posts
tw0scoops123 said:
Just out of curiousity, why would you choose a cobra over a '05 GT? Not trying to start up a GT vs cobra..just curious is all:)
Your curiousity is fine, no biggie. The cobras seem to just have an aura of greatness to them, and don't get me wrong the '05 GTs do too. Yet, a '99 cobra still holds that aura after 6 years. The '05 GT's greatness will fade away and just be another GT eventually--but there will always be something about a cobra, no matter the year.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Gro_oms said:
I have a 00 6 cylinder I dont know what i would get if i sell it or trade it in. I would rather have the 99-04 cobra over a 05 gt. I am only sixteen so my budget is very low right now.
Try Kelley Blue Book and I know there is another but I can't think of the name.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
tw0scoops123 said:
How about an '04 Cobra motor in an '05 GT? The '04 Cobra is the baddest Mustang (stock) to be had right now. I guess that's going to change in '06.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
Gro_oms said:

look up insurance costs.

When I was 16, my insurance cost more than my car payment with a mustang v8. And mine was a 1981!!!

·
Registered
158 Posts
kscoyote said:
look up insurance costs.

When I was 16, my insurance cost more than my car payment with a mustang v8. And mine was a 1981!!!
Insurance is definately a big issue. Being 16 with a V8 totally jacks up the insurance, but does he even want insurance brought into the equation?

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
lthompson05 said:
Insurance is definately a big issue. Being 16 with a V8 totally jacks up the insurance, but does he even want insurance brought into the equation?
may as well learn the total cost of ownership young.

I prefer to keep as much money in my pocket as possible, not in the pockets of the insurance and oil cartels.

plus, it gives me more money for mods.

get what you want, but get it with your eyes open. you should never got more than you bargained for -in a bad way, anyway . . .

:cool:

·
0 Posts
I love my GT, but If I already had the 3.8 I would keep it and mod the hell out of it just to be unique. If you're dead set on a V8 you should swap in a 4.6 and just forget to tell your insurance company :winks

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.