Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well . . . it was a long LONG night . . . but I finally made it into the 13s!!!!

Thanks to all of you who gave me burnout advice . . . that's how I finally got it to hook.

Here are the details:

60 foot 2.052
1/8 mile 8.983 @ 77.43
1/4 mile 13.985 @98.82 mph

I also had a low 14s run at 99.7 mph. By the time I got into the 13s (track got stickier and my burnouts were longer) . . the car was running a bit hot. I'm looking forward to running with the Snow kit next week. :eyepoppin

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Hell ya dude, practice makes perfect... That Methanol kit may put you in the 12s...

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was a gas!!! Thanks again for the burnout advice. The only downside was that the run that I hit the 13s . . I got beat by a Bentley . . . yes . . . a Bentley. 2004 Continental GT 12 cyl turbo 550hp . . he ran a 13.45!

I'll be lookin for him when I get my Snow kit!!!!:winks

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
By the way . . . for those who are interested . . here is a comparison of what my car ran stock and what it runs now:

STOCK WITH MODS

60ft 2.703 2.052

1/8 10.311 @ 72.347 8.983 @ 77.43

1/4 15.766 @ 90.764 13.985 @ 98.82

So . . . 60 foot time improved by .651 seconds, 1/8 improved by 1.328 seconds and 5.083 MPH, 1/4 improved by 1.781 seconds and 8.056 MPH.

I picked up the most improvement in the first half of the track. So, I am betting that the addition of the Snow Methanol/Water Boost Cooler and the shift light will improve the back half of the track.

If I can get the same gains from the second 1/8 that I get from the first 1/8, that will put me at 13.11 in the 1/4. Not sure if this little formula works, but we'll see this Friday!!!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Remove some unwatned weight out of that car. Put some solid control arms in the rear, and take out some other unwanted items and you should see even more of improvements.

What is your altitude where you run.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep . . .control arms, sub frame connectors, and a roll bar are on the way.

As far as altitude, I think its around 2,500.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
My stock battery is about to die out and I'm considering buying a battery box and relocating it to the trunk for the new battery. I've heard people have had great results with wieght transfer. You may also want to consider this in the future. I've been looking at the UPR box here's a link if interested:http://www.uprproducts.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=237 So, are the new heads on the car yet? I can't wait to see how fast it will be with the Methenol injection and new heads. Be sure to tell us all about the beast.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm eventually going to relocate my battery, too. BUT . . I need to use the Moroso box because, as far as I know, its the only one that is NHRA legal. I will also need an external kill switch on the back of the car in order to run it at the track.

The car is in the shop right now . . . heads are going in on Monday, along with 1.7 ratio stainless roller rockers, hardened pushrods, the water/meth injection, a line lock, a shift light, an oil breather tank, and maybe an intake.

While I would like to put a nice intake on it, it would be a throw away because it won't fit the 427 . . . so . . if I do an intake, its likely to be a used Explorer intake because I plan on starting on the 427 next month or, at the latest, in November.

I will be going to the track on Friday and I'll post new numbers either Friday night or Saturday morning. I fully expect to be deep into the 12s and maybe even in the high 11s. After all, I broke into the 13s with a blown head gasket on a slower track!! lol

Adding up the horespower numbers, conservatively, I get 60hp from the water/meth kit, another 40 from running nitro-methane additive, and maybe 50 from the heads (I've seen reports of over 100 from AFR 185s on a stock motor http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/116_0307_ford/ ), I'm looking at at least another 150hp . . . and maybe as much as 200-210 at the crank. (I'll have numbers from the Mustang Dyno before I go to the track)

Again, the 150 is a very conservative number, but even with that number I'll be knocking on the door of 11s.

I may get sent home for running too fast without a roll bar, but the roll bar install is scheduled for early October. Fun Ford Weekend is coming October 29th and 30th and I want to compete in Open Class and Fast Ford, as well as True Street . . . so I'll need the NHRA approved roll bar (its at a different track). I may opt to just do the full 8 point cage as I know I will need it when the new motor goes in.

Now . . what was that about a battery?? :winks

·
Registered
108 Posts
So, tell us more about the 427 project? Is it a bored/stroked 351W or is it a real 427 biggin' block? Very curious either way what your plans are. Good luck on the 12's first. Then, on 11's. One step at a time. :) Awesome to watch your progress and projects. Send more pics too.
Chris

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Chris:

The 427 build up is going to be based on a World Products Man o War 351 block that is bored and stroked to 427. They are doing a similar buildup in Mustang Enthusiast Magazine. I'm getting the 427 short block set from World which includes the block, a forged crank, forged Mahle pistons, yada yada. The short block does not include a cam . . . so I'm going to have to do some research as far as what cam is going to work best.

For the heads, I'm going with AFR. Because this is my street car, I will likely stick with the AFR 205s . . . although the 225s are not out of the question. I haven't yet decided what kind of intake I will use, but it is going to have to flow enough for the larger displacement.

My supercharger will either need an impeller upgrade, or I will have to do Vortech's trade in program. I figure on running some pretty heavy boost. It is not outside the realm of possibility that I will switch to a twin turbo set up. But, I will likely just stick with the blower.

Most importantly . . I need to find emblems for the sides of the car that say "427 SUPERCHARGED" :eyepoppin

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.