Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm backing my car out of the garage today to wash it. As I'm backing out, the 50 miles until empty notice comes up. Thanks car! :bigthumbsup

When I'm done drying the car, I pull forward out of the drive way and turn the car around so that I can pull forward into the garage and to help get any excess water from those trapped areas. When I park the car back into the garage, it is now at 49 miles left until empty. WTF??? :scratchchin (My house and driveway are a typical size and I definitely didn't drive it anywhere.)

I don't know what the deal is with that mystery mile, but I've only had the car about a month and a half and I have noticed disappointing gas mileage with this car, even though I've been babying it and worked my way up to 17.9-18.0 mpg (from 16 mpg). Car is 100% stock. No mods/tune done to it.

Anyone else getting suspect gas mileage?

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
I see your from Earth. Do you drive mostly city roads there? My 08 GT loses mpg as long as I'm hitting light after light. My commute to work is all highway and it climbs back up. Also the mpg read out on my dash is an "average". I guess its the same in the new Mustangs? I drove a 4 cylinder Toyota before this car. It took me a little while to get over the mpg shock. Like they say, "You gotta pay to play".

·
Banned
170 Posts
Orlando, so lots of stop and go traffic with the A/C on huh? That'll do it man. I drive my car to and from work without really any stoplights going an average of 45MPH. I get about 24-25 MPG per tank. But if I was in stop and go traffic I'd get the same as you.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It varies.

I work from home, but I drive the car for leisure primarily.

I'm a very normal driver on the streets and slightly more aggressive on the highways.

Seems like I was getting gas less frequently in my Terminator. I drove both cars the same way.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I'm guessing starting the car did it but I've gone 15+ miles when mine said 0 left trying to get to the closest gas station from where I was

·
Registered
544 Posts
You're lucky. My '11 GT is saying that I'm getting 14.4 MPG, I calculated it myself over 3 tanks and I'm really getting over 17 MPG. computers lie some times.

Is your driveway flat? Your mystery mile might be due to car being tilted.
Or when you started the car you had 49.5 miles to empty and the second time you had 49.4 miles left.

·
Registered
205 Posts
It's no mystery.

The computer calculates miles per gallon. Idling in your driveway is ZERO MPG, and the miles to zero is calculated based on your spot MPG.

I don't have my Mustang yet, but my TL works exactly the same way.

·
Registered
28 Posts
It varies.

I work from home, but I drive the car for leisure primarily.

I'm a very normal driver on the streets and slightly more aggressive on the highways.

Seems like I was getting gas less frequently in my Terminator. I drove both cars the same way.
Here's your problem. In-town mileage is low... the EPA may say 16 or 17, but realistically it will be less. The highway is your chance to reclaim some of those lost MPGs... if you want to keep your number high, you have to cruise in top gear for extended periods.

Shift earlier in town, and get to 6th faster on the highway, then cruise. When you are coasting downhill, take the car into neutral and ride your momentum as long as possible before re-engaging.

I'd say I'm about 65/35 in favor of highway, and my computer-reported mileage varies from 19.5 to 21.5 MPG, generally speaking. The trick is to only get on it when really needed (i.e. the guy next to you gives you the eye) and take it easy otherwise.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I get between 9 and 11 L/100 KM, so that's something in the neighbourhood of 21-24 MPG depending on where I am driving that day.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Let's see..............you purchased a 400+ HP muscle car with 3.73 gears for gas mileage? This thread needs to go along with the, " not enough storage space" threads.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Short local hops and errands are where Mustang's mileage is going to be the worst.

That's what most of my driving is too but I wasn't under any delusions that a 412 hp GT was going to give me great mileage either.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I get between 9 and 11 L/100 KM, so that's something in the neighbourhood of 21-24 MPG depending on where I am driving that day.
nice numbers, normal driving in the city,Im getting 21/100 km... that's almost double what you're getting. I can even justify my numbers if I was getting on it,but as I said,I drive very normal
First, quick second to 2000 slip into third, and forth doing around 40 km...on a full tank it tells me 230 km to empty... this can't be right!

G

·
My new GT is averaging about 13.5-13.9 right now. Mostly city driving, and it's been around 100 or above the last week so i've been running AC on max. Hopefully since I got my windows tinted I wont have to run it as high. I think that might be what is causing it to be sucky. Also I don't even have 400 miles on it yet.

·
Registered
131 Posts
OP: Your driveway is sloped and the float is not in the center of the tank.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Its sloped but both readings were noted when the car was parked in a flat garage.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Let's see..............you purchased a 400+ HP muscle car with 3.73 gears for gas mileage? This thread needs to go along with the, " not enough storage space" threads.
And your contribution is as worthless as they come.

For the life of me, I can't understand why some people actually take the time to clog a thread with a negative, worthless comments instead of just moving on to the next thread.

Don't you realize that everyone isn't a master mechanic as you obviously are and maybe some people post threads about (sometimes) weird things that happen to their cars?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.