Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hallo Mustang Owners :)

I am looking for a proper charger kit for my 2008GT. I read as much as I could and what our forum gives, but still fell a little confused.

First of all I am not looking for power to be used in drag racing or track racing. Just daily drive. That is why I gave up the idea of turbo.

Second of all there are many kits, for many purposes, but what I am looking for must serve its purpose and cannot kill my Stang (engine and A/T). My Stang has a very low mileage ~ 15.000.

My first choice is one of KENNE BELL kits - Stage 1, maybe Stage 2.

My second choice is Vortech HO

What I am looking for in particular is power and street/road driveablity without too much engine and A/T strain, so any good suggestions are highly recommended.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Sounds like you are really doing your homework before making this purchase and you should with this type of purchase. As far as safety and reliability of each of these units you cannot go wrong with either unit .
The biggest factor in reliability / drive-ability will come from the tune you are running on the vehicle . It is true that most units come with a standard flash tune, but that is a generic tune which is not specifically built for your vehicle and driving conditions .
The difference between a screw type supercharger and a centrifugal supercharger is how it will deliver the power and the rpm ranges of said delivered power . Image the screw type supercharger unit as an instant on power delivery you have full potential right away and then a steady level off on the power . As to where the the centrifugal will have more of a gradual build up of power and then a nice peak power , which makes the power delivery more predictable and user friendly and street-able. Obviously all of this will depend on your options you choose and pulley sizes and tune etc. If you go with the v-20 charger vs. the v-1 or v-2 charger then yes you are going to have different results .
Vortech , Paxton & Procharger are all good reliable units and great quality for the price you cannot go wrong with any of those choices . Same with the kenne bell , VMP , roush & whipples they are all reputable brands which compete to be the best and they wouldn't be around for so long if they were not good quality and reliable .
Ultimately it is up to you which route you want to go, but feel free to contact me any time if you have any questions I will be willing to help you out as much as I can. We are also a dealer of most of the listed supercharger brands and offer competitive pricing .

Joshua Barth
[email protected]

·
Registered
9,951 Posts
Since you are in Poland, I think a complete kit, that you can get there, and also parts availability in case you need any, are key considerations.

I am not sure if the aftermarket suppliers in the US will ship to Europe, and what they will ship, but that would be a good thing to find out first. Since it probably will be harder for you to find miscelaneous parts over there, I think you want a complete "turn key" kit. You could learn a lot with a phone call or e-mail to American Muscle or one of the other major resellers.

Kenne Belle is probably good if you are planning to make real big power numbers; but not needed if you are staying on the stock internals which limits you to around 425 RWHP. Also I have heard that KB customer service is not the greatest in the US; this could be a big problem for you in Poland.

Another basic choice you need to make, is positive displacement or centrifugal; they have different characteristics and that choice will narrow it down a lot.

Roush sells a real nice TVS kit that would be at the top of my list. The only thing you might want to add would be upgraded fuel pump.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I have the Roush TVS2300 SC and can tell you it is a very good setup. It maxes out at about 8psi which is about as high as you would want to go on a stock bottom end. It has plenty of grunt right off idle if you punch it, but will also drive around all day long with stock like manners if you stay out of the boost which is extremely easy to do. The unit is quiet.....almost too quiet if you like that super charger wine. For me its perfect, lots of reliable power that does not effect the drivability in the least. I installed the kit myself as an over winter project and have been driving it for two summers not with zero issues.

I have to also mention you may want to check out the D.O.B. (Department Of Boost) kit. It uses a stock ford compressor for reliability and is engineered with focus on the accomplishing the lowest incoming air temps possible, which is probably (other than having a good fuel system) the most important thing when using forced induction. I think I would have gone with the D.O.B. setup if it were available at the time I was ready to take the leap to FI.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The biggest disadvantage of my upgrade is automatic transmission. I travel a lot, and from very start I knew why I chose AT over MT. Another point, apart from predictable and driveable power and torque is noise comfort.

As far as tuning the kit I am supported by a adroid tuner, who change the nature of my stock Stang with CAI, making it a bit more alive.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Steer clear of KB on a 3v. Belt issues, heat soak like crazy, drivability,...

For PD, I'd go with a Department of Boost, Whipple, or Roush TVS2300. Centri, I'd go Paxton/Vortech. Turbo, TurboHorsepower, PowerHouse, or Hellion.

Systems I would not put on my car personally would be On3 turbo, Kenne Bell, Roush M90, or ProCharger. I have personal reason for each, and I wish you the best of luck in your FI endeavors. Keep in mind that PD blowers tend to be the easiest to tune since you're in Europe, while Centris and turbos can prove difficult. Some systems have massive heat soak (KB) or are simply too small of a blower to be efficient (M90). I've had friends with ProCharger Systems that had major leak issues, so that's my quarrel with them. I hear the new units are greatly improved, so I'd talk to Sharad (a site vendor with UPR).

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BTW what is the max power for stock AT in GT 2008? I heard two options, either 320 or 450 for stock AT.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
On a manual, you're looking at about 450rwhp on a supercharger due to parasitic loss. An auto is less efficient, so I'd probably draw the line around 420 to be on the safe side as far as your engine is concerned. The transmission is another story. If it's a strip warrior, you're fine. People run up and down the strip with 500-600 horses on stock autos all of the time. It's that hard downshift that destroys the automatic transmission. I don't know an exact accepted number on the Trans itself.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I went with the Edelbrock E-force stage 2. Very happy with the kit easy installation. 10 psi of boost. the charger is very quiet unless you romp on it and get into the rpms. Still much quieter than most superchargers.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Would you buy a used kit or pull the trigger for the new if money is not an object?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the Roush tvs2300 installed and my only regret is not doing it sooner. I have experienced the procharger and can attest to its power. I personally prefer the low end power of the twin screw in a 4.6L 2006 manual mustang. For that, my, car the low end gain in torque is smile inducing.

·
Registered
9,239 Posts
Get the Roush or Department Of Boost GT450 Stage III. Department Of Boost ships internationally too.

DO NOT get the Kenne Bell. It is by far the worst blower you could choose.

Reactions: jlee910

·
Registered
9,239 Posts
Im a fan of the roush Hard to argue with their reputation and reliability
I'm not trying to detract from the Roush. It's a nice unit.

The KB's have a good reputation (I can fathom how) and they are junk. I myself don't put much stock in "reputation".:wink:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hallo again

As I have not pulled the trigger yet as far as boost for my 4.6 there comes another option for me, instead of blower. As I am restricted due to automatic tranny maybe better option is to stay naturally aspirated and make the engine forged a bit as far as internals?

·
Registered
9,239 Posts
Hallo again

As I have not pulled the trigger yet as far as boost for my 4.6 there comes another option for me, instead of blower. As I am restricted due to automatic tranny maybe better option is to stay naturally aspirated and make the engine forged a bit as far as internals?
There are a zillion guys with auto's running boost at 450hp with zero issues. Put a blower on it, tune it for 450hp and enjoy driving your car, It is by far the most cost effective way.

You can get into complete kits for as little as $4400 or do a "build your own" for as little as $3600.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I have 45,000 plus miles on my auto with the TVS 1900 Magnacharger, Zip problems related to the blower. The TVS is the 1900 vs the Roush at 2300....but it works great for the 197 Mustang.
Its tuned at 410 HP, was up to 425 but tuned it down. The kit comes with everything you need except fuel upgrade.
Instruction book goes step by step, very detailed is you want to diy. Plus comes with SCT tuner and a tune......would get a Shop to dial tune in.

·
Premium Member
1,910 Posts
The Vortech is a draw thru MAF design so these will have great drive-ability for everyday use. The power that Vortech or any other centrifugal S/C makes follows the natural power band of the engine so your boost is going to build with your RPM as opposed to a screw type supercharger that makes full boost at 2k and maintains that boost all the way up to redline.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts