Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking into getting a new Exhaust system to replace my rusty worn out one on my 65 289. What is a good one to go with? I used to own a 2004 Mustang Gt with a Magnaflow Catback and really liked it but not to familar with what to use on a older mustang.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Exhaust is really a personal prefernce. For me on my 67 4 spped coupe I took off the stock manifolds when I dropped in my new 302 (350HP) create motor and trashed the flow master exhaust system. It was way to loud and didn't seem to have that classic mustang sound. I was going to put a JBA system back on to go along with the JBA mid length headers with an "H" pipe. Did some research and went with the 2.5" magna-flow system with an "X" pipe instead. I am VERY pleased with the sound quality. not so loud (you can still carry on a conversation and listen to my system) until you step on it and then that classic sound comes alive and does it ever!!!! If your motor is stock I wouldn't go over a 2.25" system, who's ever you buy. There are several opinions on "H" vs "X"- torque vs top end and sound. Again this is my opinion and might not be for you, go to some of the exhaust web sites and listen to each but I will tell you these can be slighted and in correct quality. I went with the best for me and that was Magna-Flow, it's a great Stainless kit and fit well.
HTH:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
539 Posts
Since your motor appears to be stock, I would go with a nice set of Cermamic Coated Tri-Y headers with 2.25" exhaust with an H-Pipe and some Dynomax Superturbo mufflers going out to the back. It will give it a nice sound without being loud. If you are planning future mods you can go to 2.5" max.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts