Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some advice. I am looking at stage 3 street/strip cams for my cobra. I want the loud rumble for sure. The car is more a weekend driver than a strip car. I know that the cost is outrageous for the actual horsepower gains but, I don't care because I love the sound. If however anybody has seen bigger horsepower gains out of one set than another I would like to know. Same with the sound. I have been looking at Comps and Crowers. Appreciate any advice I can get.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'm not a cam expert, but i'm pretty sure they'll hurt your power to torque ratio.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am not an expert either which is why I am asking. I understand the low end (below 2500 rpm or so) might struggle but, my car only sees lower than that when I'm at idle. I know cams help HP & TQ at higher rpms I just want to find someone who has had there car dynoed after a cam change w/ different types of cams to make a final decision.

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
The Terminator makes plenty of low end TQ, so i wouldn't worry about that. The stage 3 cams will make a little horsepower but you'll def have a radical idle with them. I think the best would be to call someone that makes custom grind cams and tell them you want the radical idle and power. I want cams too so i know where you're coming from. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have Hi-tech Stage 2 Comp Cams in my 2003 Mustang Gt, and Comp Cams - Stage 1 in my 2003 Mustang SVT Cobra.

I am not an expert with Cams, but the Comp Cams - Stage 1 give the best results for me. Why? Because Comp Camps - Stage 1 provide great low-rpm power, sound a little more aggressive, and are still a smooth ride. I also see the low-end rpm power being important with a Supercharger because it helps compensate for the "wind-up" time of the supercharger.

In addition, the Hi-tech Stage 2 Comp Cams that I have are cool/jittery at idle, but definitely make the ride more "rigid"/bumpier. They do provide alot more horsepower gain than Comp Cams - Stage 1 at higher RPMs, and are great for my Naturally Aspirated 2003 Mustang Gt.

I hope that this helps with your decision.

P.S. If the high amounts of rumbling/loping sound is all you care about, then the higher Stage Cams are definitely the way to go... I don't know which Cams are the best to go for though. :X

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
Wind up time with the SC? The Eaton produces torque off the bat in low rpms. Heck, i can't even punch it in 1st or 2nd, even with 3.08 gears, unless i want to light the tires up. Also boost is instant. I mash the pedal and it hits 15psi as fast as i hit the pedal.

If the stage 3 gives a little power then the stage 1 gave you almost nothing and def not the best mod per dollar. On N/A cars, i've seen power gains. Had a friend with all bolt on's and stage 2 hi techs, dyno tuned to 290rwhp on their 04GT. My 05GT with stage 3 comp cams went from 293 to 330rwhp on a brenspeed tune. If i would have gotten a dyno tune, might have squeezed out another 5 or so to the wheels. but if you ask anyone on svtperformance.com about cams and Terminators, you'll see. But we spend on what we want.. :bigthumbsup

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.