Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK so i am new here and i am looking to improve the overall performance of my mustang. I have a 1987 Mustang GT 5.0 HO. I bought the car from a guy and he rebuilt the motor to put a cam in it and bored it out a little. Plus he put a bad ass shift kit in the car. This car is great. Needs work but a great car. I'm asking anyone and everyone to help. I do not have a bunch of money but i am looking to get more horsepower, gas mileage, overall better performance in any and every way that is affordable. please let me know of some of the small upgrades i can do and the type or brand of a good performance part. Any where from spark plugs to oil to wires to distributor cap/rotor. im wanting to put top of the line things in it and starting with all the good performance tune up parts. I am new to the mustang scene and want to know what are the best performance parts for this car. Im very mechanically inclined but i want to know what i can and cant do so i dont mess anything up! All the help will be more than welcome and much appreciated. This is my daily driver, my toy and project. Thank you

·
Registered
702 Posts
Welcome to the site!

I would look at gears for the rear end. If the axle isn't marked, you'll have to jack it up and rotate the tire and count the revolutions of the driveshaft to get a good estimate of the ratio. If it's below 3.73 you might want to get some in there. Instant seat of the pants kick.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
OK so i am new here and i am looking to improve the overall performance of my mustang. I have a 1987 Mustang GT 5.0 HO. I bought the car from a guy and he rebuilt the motor to put a cam in it and bored it out a little. Plus he put a bad ass shift kit in the car. This car is great. Needs work but a great car. I'm asking anyone and everyone to help. I do not have a bunch of money but i am looking to get more horsepower, gas mileage, overall better performance in any and every way that is affordable. please let me know of some of the small upgrades i can do and the type or brand of a good performance part. Any where from spark plugs to oil to wires to distributor cap/rotor. im wanting to put top of the line things in it and starting with all the good performance tune up parts. I am new to the mustang scene and want to know what are the best performance parts for this car. Im very mechanically inclined but i want to know what i can and cant do so i dont mess anything up! All the help will be more than welcome and much appreciated. This is my daily driver, my toy and project. Thank you
One of the best upgrades or bang for the buck is gears like gMan said .
Also like he said you should check what gears you have now. Most likely
if the previous owner rebuilt the engine and added performance cam
he also added new gears if he knew what he was doing. Also the car
was probably converted to MAF. In stock form it is speed density and is
not modification friendly. If you want to gain a little more power you can
bump the timing a couple of degrees from 10 to 12 degrees. That is done
with spout disconnected ,its located near the distributor part of ignition
module harness. You can also go with under drive pulleys but there are
mixed feelings about power gain vs charging problems.

·
Registered
228 Posts
GEARS FOR SURE- you'll want either 4.10s or 3.73s not a huge difference so I went with 4.10s for the extra grunt.

Stock Cam is okay because they have a decent mid range and low end. Not a big difference between a stock cam and a TFS 1 cam.

Intake is something I would definitely try to upgrade. Get some more air flowing to the restrictive heads. look for a GT40 Intake or Typhoon.

Heads this is why the 90's mustangs didn't make good numbers. The stock e7 heads are sooo restrictive. You can make them decent with a port and polish job, but at that point you would have spent enough money on the P&P job that you can get yourself a set of GT40 heads from an explorer.

If you are truly balling on a budget this is what I would do first. Gears for sure (you can find backyard mechanics in your area that will do them at a reasonable price) Upper and Lower intake swap. That will net you nice gains. A guy had a 94 AODE and did these two things with a port and polish on his stock heads and ran mid 13's.

If you had a little more money to spend, look at a Head and intake GT40 Swap. Looking at about 500 bucks for the parts and another 200 for gaskets, bolts and such.

Forgot to add, apparently 1.6 roller rockers make a big difference on a stock motor. I wouldn't know because I put mine in when I did my HCI swap. I guess the reduced weight in the valve train allows the motor to rev faster.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts