Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new to this forum and I'm under a great deal of stress. I purchased my 2002 V6 mustang about a year ago and everything was running great until recently. The car now shakes uncontrollably and backfires a lot. It turns on fine but then it starts to shake and it smells terribly of smoke. We took it to various mechanics and they keep running the computer thing and they've had us change over 5 sensors and the fuel pump and the air filter and the serpentine belt and so on and the car continues the same. I am terribly frustrated and would like to know if anyone has any advice in the matter to what might be going on. Thank you.:weeps

·
Registered
89 Posts
I don't know for sure by what you have told us, but it could be misfiring. Have you given the car a tune up since you bought it? Do you have any idea what sensors have been replaced already? Is the check engine light on? If so, what did the code say? Based on your description, I'd check your spark plugs, wires, and coil pack...

Good Luck

·
Registered
263 Posts
Check engine codes? What sensors have been replaced? Hard to say without more info.
If you've already checked the obvious, pop the top off of the cam position sensor and make sure the innards are in tact. This unit tells the fuel injectors when to activate. Make sure your crank sensor is mounted securly and not broken along with no missing teeth on the vibration dampener. This is the key to your timing. Make sure the grey plug (under your air intake filter, inlet) is not missing from the wiring harness, this allows your computer to adjust its timing.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
So you have taken this car to different mechanics and paid for big ticket items like "new fuel pump" with no improvement?

Since you asked for advice, here it comes.

Taking a car to multiple different mechanics is just asking for someone to "parts change" to fix your problem. If paying someone to work on your car, you should pick a good mechanic and EXPECT them to fix the car.

Please note, you are posting in the tech section. Usually people looking for help to fix their cars themselves. If you want help to fix it yourself, then we will need more information than "replaced 5 sensors". Otherwise, based upon the initial problem description, the only advice we can give is to basically "check the basics".

I'm assuming this has already been done by the multiple mechanics.

Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts