Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 2001 V6 3.8L automatic 210,00 mile Mustang, this is my first car and nothing has been done to this car yet and I just wanted to know if anyone has any advice about what to do to my car, your help is very much appreciated

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
an exhaust to make it sound good, flows are the normal mufflers but check youtube for whatever you like

a shift kit can extend the life of your transmission

there are many things you can do but it really helps to know a few things from you, such as your budget, and your plans for the car

·
Registered
29 Posts
First of all you have to consider the mileage is high is it worth sinking money into a wornout v6? You should drive that around and build a motor on the side. Work at your own pace. Make it a v8 though. Even if you got a stock 4.6 or 5.0 it would be an improvement. Or while its out you can build it just how you want it. But if your gunho on doing something to that v6 then steeda offers a big selection for the 3.8 v6. And you can get good power out of those. Just make sure the motors gonna be around for you to enjoy it. I would build one on the side and start collecting all the goodies for the swap. If you have any specific questions feel free to ask me personally.

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
you cant easily put a v8 into a 2001 v6 car.. so much needs to be changed

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
If you're car has that many miles and you are wanting to burn money on mods .... you're crazy. I would be saving up for a new engine or a car with less miles or even better a GT with a lot less miles....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to those who have given me advice, and I am thinking about building an engine on the side because that would be the best since the engine is workout but is there anyway to somehow fix the engine so that it will last longer with out putting in an entire new engine?

G

·
Thanks to those who have given me advice, and I am thinking about building an engine on the side because that would be the best since the engine is workout but is there anyway to somehow fix the engine so that it will last longer with out putting in an entire new engine?
You could have it rebuilt.

That would be a great time to put in new internals and a cam if you weren't in our lovely state of California.
You can't get away with much here.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
have it rebuilt but it'll be out of commision for a little while, otherwise not without a replacement

damn it red, i saw it first lol

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
First of all you have to consider the mileage is high is it worth sinking money into a wornout v6? You should drive that around and build a motor on the side. Work at your own pace. Make it a v8 though. Even if you got a stock 4.6 or 5.0 it would be an improvement. Or while its out you can build it just how you want it. But if your gunho on doing something to that v6 then steeda offers a big selection for the 3.8 v6. And you can get good power out of those. Just make sure the motors gonna be around for you to enjoy it. I would build one on the side and start collecting all the goodies for the swap. If you have any specific questions feel free to ask me personally.
Telling him to make it a v8 is like me telling you to get a better supercharger.....

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
With 210,000 you could find a lower milage sixer with damaged body but a good engine and start by replacing ur engine and tranny with something with much lower milage, at the scrapyard today i saw maybe 7 stangs within the 99-04 range with good engines and trannies that could be had for about 500 plus labor

·
Registered
267 Posts
If you get the engine rebuilt you sould tell them to bore out the cynlinders. Increased explosion = increase horsepower. but it will probably get bad gas mileage...and you'll have too get new valves and pistons so maybe its not a good idea now that i think about it...

G

·
If you get the engine rebuilt you sould tell them to bore out the cynlinders. Increased explosion = increase horsepower. but it will probably get bad gas mileage...and you'll have too get new valves and pistons so maybe its not a good idea now that i think about it...
.030" over isn't going to make a difference.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
.030" over isn't going to make a difference.
Give a little more torque, more mass more push, but not much you would notice, do some head work while your in there with increased valve size and a bigger cam she'll be pushing some big ponies then!!

You could probably get away with the motor work if you don't get to aggressive of a cam, and keep the factory cats, the more thump they can hear the more likely they are to fail you, but with the quietness of the cats they probably couldn't hear much haha

Btw stangfanatic42, I get the same mileage as before if I drive the same, I still use the same 21# injectors from the factory, you really don't need to increase them until boost is applied, a full built motor might need 24's I forget what shiner said about them, getting a built top end has really no bad side effects, same mileage and a lot more power, only problem is being able to get it done haha

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Thought the block could only safely handle .020 over? Am i wrong?

·
Registered
3,775 Posts

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Alright, ill definetly keep that in mind for that time when ive got the cash to do a full build o my engine as well as hook up that M112, just hope it will work with a windstar intake..

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
an m112 will absolutely not work with a windstar....... do you even know what an m112 is? how do you expect it to attach to the engine..

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Its the stock cobra super charger, trying to get more info on the V6 adapter from super six http://www.supersixmotorsports.com/pdf/SSM2011catrev1IntakeManifolds.pdf
Im guessing the M112 becomes the upper intake but im probly gunna give em a call to find out how it works for sure, i know the kit requires a cowl hood and all the supporting mods.

Was just thinking outloud, since i want to do the windstar swap atm but if they dontt work together saving he money would probably be smarter...

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Its the stock cobra super charger, trying to get more info on the V6 adapter from super six http://www.supersixmotorsports.com/pdf/SSM2011catrev1IntakeManifolds.pdf
Im guessing the M112 becomes the upper intake but im probly gunna give em a call to find out how it works for sure, i know the kit requires a cowl hood and all the supporting mods.

Was just thinking outloud, since i want to do the windstar swap atm but if they dontt work together saving he money would probably be smarter...

friken PC double posting...

G

·
An M112 is unique, yes but hardly the way to go for power.

It is huge, inefficient (compared to a turbo), and there in no way to intercool that setup.

They don't call those Eaton M112s "Heatons" for nothing.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts