Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 1990 mustang gt with iron GT40 heads, crane valve springs, 1.7 rockers, cobra intake, edlebrock 65mm TB, 75mm Pro M mass air, Holley 155 fuel pump, 24# Injectors, 3.55 gears, ford racing headers, Corsa exhaust system, timing set at 14, and stock cam. What would be my next step to more power, I know I should change the cam but which one would be best with my setup? What else could I do to get more power.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Port the heads and Intake? Supercharger? Turbo? Better heads? Stroker? Jet engine?

Need to clarify N/A or boosted. Stroker or Not.

What kind of money you willing to spend?

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
The biggest jump in power would happen if you ditch those heads and get some serious powermakers like AFR 185, TFS High Port, Brodix M1. Then step up your throttle body to 70mm or 75mm and get a much better cam. That would depend on what other parts you choose.
What's the budget? To make power, you gotta pay.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Budget is everything if you have unlimited resources and do not need your car for daily driving then you have more options.

Cheapest and easiest
pulleys
electric fan
remove things like smog pump, A/c

Moderate price and more work
remove power steering
cam replacement
electric water pump
Nitrous Oxide

Expensive and /or a lot of work
Stroker kit
Supercharger
Turbo

Personnally I like removing what is stealing from you. I got a black magic fan, got rid of the smog pump. I am debating get rid of the power steering and going manual to clean the engine compartment up and reduce some weight. The only thing holding me back is it has been 20 years since I drove a vehicle without power steering and do not remember if it sucked or not. I live in Louisiana so the A/C has to stay. When I lived in Pennsylvania I was going to pull that to eventually.

·
Registered
214 Posts
if your going to drive the car alot i would not recommend removing the power steering, could be very dangerous and would get irritating

·
Registered
109 Posts
if your going to drive the car alot i would not recommend removing the power steering, could be very dangerous and would get irritating
How so? Just curious because I used to have to drive an old truck with manual steering for work. I know it takes a little muscle to turn at a stand still, but it is not so difficult that a small woman couldn't do it. At highway speeds you can not tell the difference between manual and power steering.

Not trying to knock what you are saying just trying to understand how it is dangerous. I know you will not suffer from arm fatique while driving and crash. Irritating I can understand, that is my dilema right now.

Now if you are thinking I was just suggesting taking the power steering pump off then yes that would be dangerous. I was talking about a swap to a manual steering rack.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.