Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry about the vague title, but there was really no way around it as I have a few questions. I recently had long tube headers installed on my car, and it appears I have an exhaust leak (a ticking noise from the exhaust tipped me off).

I know that the parts are brand new and it's not likely that I blew a gasket or cracked the manifold or anything, and I am pretty sure it is just a poorly aligned header job.

Does this mean I am going to have to take it back to a shop and have to basically pay for another header install? Or is this something that can be fixed more easily?

Again, I know I have not posted enough information but I've been under the car and nothing is cracked or blown, so I think it is just poor positioning (never going back to the shop that did the install btw).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, is there any way that I could get the shop that did the install to take the blame for their poor installation? Because if I have to pay for another header install essentially it's going to be a big chunk out of my pocket

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Just curious, what headers are they?

I have a slight misalignment where my over axle pipes bolt up to the H pipe, and it leaks there...gonna have to find a solution for that because it annoys me. It also leaks a bit where the H pipe attaches to the headers since it's a slip fit, and those clamps don't quite seal perfect.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just curious, what headers are they?
They are BBK long tube headers. I don't know if the flanges just don't cover what they need to cover or what is going on but the leak appears to only be there on cold starts and when the car warms up it is gone. It still throws me a CEL though so I need to get it taken care of

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Any idea where exactly it's leaking? Shouldn't be leaking at the collectors, as BBK's have ball & socket flanges there.

It may be leaking at the end of the midpipe...although, when you say it's a ticking sound that's not good. Usually leaks that sound like a tick are at the head.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
if it's throwing a CEL, I think it would be at the head. I would be surprised if a leak down the line would show up as a CEL.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts