Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I'm new to the forums guys, I apologize if I did anything wrong here. But I'm more or less looking for info. I want something that is loud at idle as well as hitting it. I have done lots of stuff to my car but no experience with exhaust. The people I know run foreign cars. (I need some Mustang friends haha) I was looking at the SLP loudmouths II with a catted x-pipe. I try youtube but the quality sucks. I'd like to stay away from rasp. I know this is probably asked a hundred times a day, but thanks to whoever helps.

·
Registered
371 Posts
lol i was just about to say a catted x with some lm2s... yet ive never heard any mustang 99-04 sound as good as my buddies car.. his exhaust is a secret. lol.

·
Registered
371 Posts
pretty much any catted x (hi-flow) and any straight through muffler.. dynomax bullet, slp lm1, kooks, borla xr-1, etc...

·
Registered
74 Posts
I run SSS cat back different sound than most and very loud. It's is a stainless steel exhaust straight through muffler for about 200 less than most.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Borla is what I have on my car and it is amazing. It's got that muscle car low growl on idle but when you hit it is pleanty lound and has a very good deep throty sound. The lm2's arent to bad just stay away from the lm1's, they are so loud they don't even sound good. The borla system is a little more expensive but it's worth it. Get that with a MAC prochamber mid pipe and it will sound like a mustang should sound to begin with.

·
Registered
342 Posts
+2 on the Borla's, although I've got an off road H pipe, which I've heard are less raspy than X's. Mine's got that muscle car rumble at idle which turns into a nice snarl at about 1800-1900 rpm. Makes driving in tunnels and near walls especially enjoyable :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
Borla, Borla, Borla, Borla.........

The Borla exhaust I had on the Bullitt with an off-road H pipe was like sex for your ears.

·
Registered
6,461 Posts
Hey I'm new to the forums guys, I apologize if I did anything wrong here. But I'm more or less looking for info. I want something that is loud at idle as well as hitting it. I have done lots of stuff to my car but no experience with exhaust. The people I know run foreign cars. (I need some Mustang friends haha) I was looking at the SLP loudmouths II with a catted x-pipe. I try youtube but the quality sucks. I'd like to stay away from rasp. I know this is probably asked a hundred times a day, but thanks to whoever helps.
Well, if you want it loud, you'll want an offroad x or h pipe. We have a really nice one: 99-03 Mustang Off Road X Pipe

However, if you want to stay away from rasp, I wouldn't use straight through mufflers. Traditional mufflers like Dynamax Super Turbos will be loud without being raspy.

It's a tough question though. Exhaust sound is SO subjective. You really just need to hear a car you like and ask the guy what he's running.

Fwiw, I had the x-pipe with SLP loud mouths on an 04 GT and got compliments on it all the time!! (but I could see someone saying it was raspy)

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Look at this site and check it out......MustangExhaust.com - Blog

I would take Sharads advice though the straight through race style mufflers is gonna give you a little bit of raspyness I personally like it sounds more like should to me all classic cars had a deeper sound to them these modern 4.6 are built to scream and love the higher rpm's but that is just me some people get stuck on the same ole thing or just like the deeper sound better but I would deff go with offroad mid pipe unless you have emission crap.

·
Registered
371 Posts
i havent heard a raspy dynomax bullet yet..

·
Registered
6,461 Posts
Thank for the reply's it really helps. As for the o/r I live in Jersey and we have emission testing.
When I lived in Ohio, we only had our emissions tested every other year, so we'd run offroad pipes until we took the car in for the test, we'd put the catalytics on for the test, pass it, then take them right back off! :)

·
Registered
342 Posts
Thank for the reply's it really helps. As for the o/r I live in Jersey and we have emission testing.
When I lived in Ohio, we only had our emissions tested every other year, so we'd run offroad pipes until we took the car in for the test, we'd put the catalytics on for the test, pass it, then take them right back off! :)
Ha I'm glad I don't live near Chicago (closest big city to me), hopefully the testing never comes to where I am. That would be clever though.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
+1 ment to say that in first post and this is what I would do if I was you even if it was every 6 months I would still do it an off road pipe is gonna get you the better sound and flow plus it is gonna be cheaper so all you have to do is remove 8 bolts remove the two rubber hangers and it's out easy for me atleast but it is up to you.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I've decided on going with the Borla exhaust and an o/r h pipe. I like the idea of fixing it for inspection, it's once every two years. Thanks for all the help guys.

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
There's nothing cheap about the Borla setup........ lol

Summit Racing, Jegs or Ebay.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Haha I know, I meant cheaper then American Muscle, I'll check those out. I do a lot of searching before I buy usually.

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
You will love that combo, good choice:bigthumbsup

1 - 20 of 21 Posts