Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok heres what i want to do to a completely bone stock 98 automatic v6..........cold air intake- anyone who has this on their car, with the same model car as mine, let me know which is best bc im hearing 10 different things.... also a link would be awesome...
2nd.... exhaust- i would prefer just a straight bolt on type of system that i dont have to modify anthying... just for decent NON rice sound... something a lil more throaty (i know its a V6) ... and a boost in performance would be great toooooo.. .any and all links id appreciate as well... let me know (the novice that i am) which is best....
3rd- change the headlights... i feel like the headlights make the car look older than the car really is ... so i was thinking some type of clear headlights... possibly angel eyes.... tell me which is best and easiest to install
PS im going to be doing all the work myself so ease of installation is also important.
Thanks to everyone who reads this long post!!
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,432 Posts
MylilPony said:
ok heres what i want to do to a completely bone stock 98 automatic v6..........cold air intake- anyone who has this on their car, with the same model car as mine, let me know which is best bc im hearing 10 different things.... also a link would be awesome...
2nd.... exhaust- i would prefer just a straight bolt on type of system that i dont have to modify anthying... just for decent NON rice sound... something a lil more throaty (i know its a V6) ... and a boost in performance would be great toooooo.. .any and all links id appreciate as well... let me know (the novice that i am) which is best....
3rd- change the headlights... i feel like the headlights make the car look older than the car really is ... so i was thinking some type of clear headlights... possibly angel eyes.... tell me which is best and easiest to install
PS im going to be doing all the work myself so ease of installation is also important.
Thanks to everyone who reads this long post!!
One) a K&N drop in filter performs as well as anything older than 1999. Big gains come from underdriver pulleys . . .

2) Most folks here like the Flowmasters. Every system has it's fans, and sound is subjective. Most of the manufacturers have clips they can send you, so listen to 'em & decide which you like best.

3) If you want projector headlights, pick up a mustang magazine & look for specials. I wouldn't install these yourself. Several people here have tried, and set their cars on fire. . ..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,899 Posts
Headlights will brighten up the look of your car . I too have a set of aftermarket headlights . I bought them off eBay . I do not have the " projector type " but have the clear diamond cut cobra type . They were easy to install and plug in like the lights you have now . If you do buy a set of aftermarket lights keep the company info . This way if you have to replace one of them you have addy or number .

If you do replace your exhaust , please do your homework . There have been ALOT of post on here as to pipe size .. pro`s and con`s . a simple search should help you ALOT .

Just do some reading . Go back threw the old post . Everything reguarding v6 mustangs mods have been posted at one time or another . Best of Luck and let us know how you make out .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the quick response .... im looking on LMPerformance.com and am thinking about purchasing this MAC 96-98 V6 Cold Air Induction Fenderwell System or BBK Cold Air Induction 3.8L 94-98...... if u guys could tell me which is better, and why.... also... if there are any trusted website u guys have bought your own parts from let me know....

thanks for all of the help... i appreciate it
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,432 Posts
MylilPony said:
thanks for the quick response .... im looking on LMPerformance.com and am thinking about purchasing this MAC 96-98 V6 Cold Air Induction Fenderwell System or BBK Cold Air Induction 3.8L 94-98...... if u guys could tell me which is better, and why.... also... if there are any trusted website u guys have bought your own parts from let me know....
thanks for all of the help... i appreciate it


none of them will give you any more hp than a drop in filter. Your money would be better spent on underdriver pulleys or porting your intake manifold.

If it's underhood sparkle you're looking for, then it's a toss up. Get whichever appeals to you more.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
where can i get this drop in filter, and which one (assuming there are many) should i get..... are the underdrive pulleys something i can do myself? how much does that normally run?
thanks again for the quick response
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,432 Posts
MylilPony said:
where can i get this drop in filter, and which one (assuming there are many) should i get..... are the underdrive pulleys something i can do myself? how much does that normally run?
thanks again for the quick response
you can get a drop in filter at any autozone, o'reilleys, NAPA, etc.

The underdrive pulleys are all over the place. You can look up rpmoutlet.com, steeda.com, MAC, ASP, you can find 'em on e-bay . ..

They generally run 50-86 dollars, and it IS somethingyou can do yourself if you have a harmonic balancer pulley, most shops will do it for 30-50 dollars.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
do the underdrive pulleys effect the performance of some electronics in the car?? everything is stock... i may just add a better cd player eventually ...... and a sirius radio ......... are all the underdrive pulleys roughly the same?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,432 Posts
MylilPony said:
do the underdrive pulleys effect the performance of some electronics in the car?? everything is stock... i may just add a better cd player eventually ...... and a sirius radio ......... are all the underdrive pulleys roughly the same?
I've got 4 150 watt + speakers a MMATS Competition amp + a 4x60 head unit. I have had no problems.

The bad rep comes from 5.0L underdrivers that went too far.

The 3.8L is WAY over pulleyed from doubleduty in vans, etc with a lot of power requirements (overhead movie, game screens, large cooling, 2 separate stereos front & back, etc).
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top