Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so... i want to do 3.73's in my GT auto and i needed a few simple questions answered.

i have a bama tune so i know all about that aspect...

but i also want the option of running my 3.73's with the stock tune for warranty concerns or future trips to the dealership.

so with the procal, i know it will adjust my speedo for the gears, but does that also take care of all the shift points? like if i wanted to run it stock with the gears for a while and got ''on'' it, would it be hitting rev limiters and stuff, or would it work correctly as far as shifting?

·
Registered
549 Posts
From what I understand, there is no possible way to run a completely stock tune with non-stock gears on the auto. You could have Bama simply take your cars strategy and only account for the gears, and not modify any other parameters, but it'll still be an aftermarket tune.

I think the same thing would apply to the FRPP ProCal tune, though perhaps you could get warranty through FRPP. I know this doesn't directly answer your question, I'm just throwing it out there. I've heard conflicting accounts of what happens if you drive with altered gears but don't account for them... some people have told me that the car will go into 'limp' mode, others have said the shift points will be horribly off (but that you can still drive a short ways), etc.

·
Registered
500 Posts
You are losing ABS and diff warranty when you change the gears anyways. If you are swapping to 3.73 no dealership can just change the axle ratio because ALL automatics are 3.15. Go all the way and you will not look back :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
140 Posts
From FRPP site Procal will only adjust speedo 1 gear ratio up/down from factory issued.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From FRPP site Procal will only adjust speedo 1 gear ratio up/down from factory issued.
so from 3:15 to 3:31 only?

and calgarybandit im aware of the loss of warranty on the rear end, i just wanted a way of keeping my engine warranty at the least... and i know having a procal tuned car should keep that

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK i called ford racing...

they said you buy the procal and the air filter? and you get a voucher card for an upgraded pcm calibration

upon loading the new calibration it will allow me to change tire size and gear ratio.

he said it does not change shift points but that by changing the gear ratio it should shift correctly (i guess stock ish) and will not bounce off the rev limiter or anything.

he also said that with the pcm in its stock form, the procal cannot adjust the gear ratio or tire size.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
ha ha warranty... dont touch anything or throw it out the window...

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ha ha warranty... dont touch anything or throw it out the window...
Well this would be ford racings pro cal tuner, so theoretically it should keep my engine warranty, and the ford gears may void my rear end warranty. I'm just basing this on the fact that my rear end is cheaper to fix lol... May not be a bad option.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Well this would be ford racings pro cal tuner, so theoretically it should keep my engine warranty, and the ford gears may void my rear end warranty. I'm just basing this on the fact that my rear end is cheaper to fix lol... May not be a bad option.
Only 12kmiles/1year on the FRPP warranty since it's being installed after car was received.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Only 12kmiles/1year on the FRPP warranty since it's being installed after car was received.
Hm maybe I won't do gears then... I wanted an option to keep my warranty in tact on the engine. At least with stock gears I can easily flash off my bama tune

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
You could always return the car back to stock and then take it to the dealer to be flashed for your 3.73's. Usually they'll only do that if they did the install. However, if they're Ford Racing 3.73 gears, and you have a "cool" dealership to work with, they may do it - with a fee, of course.

From there, you could call Bama and have them write your tune with your new Strategy (PCM) code and your 3.73's.

After that, any time you return to stock, your speedometer will still be accurate. You can call a few dealers and see who's willing to do it. Worth a shot! :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
They can tell you had it on though.:nono:
On 2010-down Mustangs, they cannot. Once you return to stock and drive to complete the drive-cycle (emissions switches and P1000), they can't see that there was an aftermarket tune.

On 2011's, we're being told that there is a checksum that gets changed that they can see. However, they're only going to look for that if there is a major problem like engine or trans failure, etc. I'm not sure if they have to send the PCM out or if the engineer they call in for larger claims does it, I've heard both stories. Either way, it's not something they actively check for, from what I understand. Has anyone here with a 2011 had their warranty voided or claim denied? I haven't heard of any cases, personally.

Again, you should also only go back to the dealership with it stock to avoid issues. I would never suggest that anyone return it to stock intentionally to mislead an issue caused by aftermarket modifications, tune or not. If you go in for a dash rattle or something unrelated, that's when I recommend doing it - just to avoid hassle.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You could always return the car back to stock and then take it to the dealer to be flashed for your 3.73's. Usually they'll only do that if they did the install. However, if they're Ford Racing 3.73 gears, and you have a "cool" dealership to work with, they may do it - with a fee, of course.

From there, you could call Bama and have them write your tune with your new Strategy (PCM) code and your 3.73's.

After that, any time you return to stock, your speedometer will still be accurate. You can call a few dealers and see who's willing to do it. Worth a shot! :bigthumbsup

So the dealer has something other than a procal that they use to make adjustments?

·
Registered
549 Posts
On 2010-down Mustangs, they cannot. Once you return to stock and drive to complete the drive-cycle (emissions switches and P1000), they can't see that there was an aftermarket tune.

On 2011's, we're being told that there is a checksum that gets changed that they can see. However, they're only going to look for that if there is a major problem like engine or trans failure, etc. I'm not sure if they have to send the PCM out or if the engineer they call in for larger claims does it, I've heard both stories. Either way, it's not something they actively check for, from what I understand. Has anyone here with a 2011 had their warranty voided or claim denied? I haven't heard of any cases, personally.

Again, you should also only go back to the dealership with it stock to avoid issues. I would never suggest that anyone return it to stock intentionally to mislead an issue caused by aftermarket modifications, tune or not. If you go in for a dash rattle or something unrelated, that's when I recommend doing it - just to avoid hassle.
How sure are you about there being a checksum on the 2011s?

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
How sure are you about there being a checksum on the 2011s?
I'm about 50% sure that there is a checksum that they can see if they really want to send your PCM out for testing or bring someone in. Either that or dealers are good at telling stories, which we all know they are. :gringreen

So the dealer has something other than a procal that they use to make adjustments?
Yes. This is how they update PCM codes, etc. If you get your gears installed at the dealer, they'll flash the PCM for you.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I'm about 50% sure that there is a checksum that they can see if they really want to send your PCM out for testing or bring someone in. Either that or dealers are good at telling stories, which we all know they are. :gringreen

Yes. This is how they update PCM codes, etc. If you get your gears installed at the dealer, they'll flash the PCM for you.
Hey Chris, quite a few of us with autos and have done a gear swap have been told that since the 6R80 has never shipped in the Mustang with anything other than the 3.15 gears that the Ford dealerships cannot change the gear ratio with their software. I personally asked 3 different dealerships and got almost the same answer verbatim. I even asked could they do it if they installed the gears and was told that they just don't have a way of doing it. I've got a buddy that is the shop foreman of an 82-bay Ford dealership to confirm what I'd been told by the other dealerships, and that was the same answer he gave me. It looks like the only way to have the gear ratio changed on the computer of the 6R80 in a Mustang is to go with an aftermarket tuner.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts