Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 90 LX 5.0 vert thats f/s f/t and i got an email from this dude with a 96gt with a 01 pi motor swap,and a 03 trans.Im not to knowledgeable about 96's.Please check out the ad and tell me what you think.Thanks.mustang gt 1996 sale or trade for fox body

·
Registered
425 Posts
it looks great but $3500 seems a little underpriced, at least here in va it is. check the car out really good but if its all it looks like it is then id go for it.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Check the car over good interior, exterior, under neath, check for fluid leaks, exc. you should know the deal.....also i would have a vin check done this coulda been a V6 car or it could have a salvaged title. Nothing wrong with either except for when you try to resale as you see how low the price is i would almost bet its the title. Good Luck!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok i have driven it.And i have to say i didnt think it was that quick.My LX is all stock except for 4.10's.I think my LX is quicker.The 4.6 pulled pretty hard in the higher rpm's but down low didnt seem to have any grunt.Its a really nice car, its not reconstructed.It was an auto GT ,and it converted to 5-speed.It has a wideband o2 meter thing in the interior.WHy would it need that??Hes also throwing in a predator tuner too.How can i tell if its a real PI swap????????Any help would really help.thank you!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
386 Posts
From the picture on the link that engine looks like the Non PI because of the coil packs and the PI motor has individual coil packs. If you swap a PI motor onto a car I do not think you would go back to coil packs. Did he do a full motor swap or just the PI swap? That would also explain why it was sluggish the Non PI engines are not all that great making 215 HP stock or less. The first picture is the NPI motor and the second is the PI motor.

Attachments

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He said he got it from ebay,and had a receipt to prove it.It also has a digital wideband meter in the car(what is that for?).he also said he had it tuned fof regular fuel with a predator tuner.Anyway he said something like on pi motors you can see the valley under the intake real good which i could.Im going to look at it once more tomorrow.What should i look for.i want the car,but im afraid its a frankenstein kinda thing.I really need help before a big mistake.If anyones got pointers then please let me know.Thanks

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I really hope im not being scammed.I have a totally stock except for 4.10's heavy VERT,and it pulls harder than that thing??

·
Registered
386 Posts
Did he say anything about modifications to the engine? He got it off ebay? For how much? Did he get it off ebay with that motor? Or did he said he put it on after he got the car? A 96-98 mustang with a PI swap should be around 260 RWHP there is a member on this forum that with a pimple PI swap made 278 RWPH. I also did the PI swap on my 1996 GT and I felt the difference right away. The NPI is very sluggish and out of the hole it is not that good and at higher RPMs its ok not the greatest. You say that your car pulls harder, Why so interested on this mustang?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My vert has problem afeter problem.he said he ebayed the motor,and has some kind of receipt.He said they delivered it to his house.The receipt say it from 02 mustang.But who know?What are the key differences in the npi and pi motors??? Im going to see the car one more time tomorrow.

·
Registered
386 Posts
From the Pics the visuals are the coil packs and the alternator and a couple other visuals like the oil cap location. The PI motor has the oil cap on the passenger side, but not all the time. As to telling if the engine has PI parts its a little harder to tell. The only way I know how to tell is by pulling off the intake manifold and my seeing the port sizes on both the intake manifold and the heads. The PI heads and intake have lager ports allowing for better flow.How To Install A Mustang PI Intake - Installation Instructions at AmericanMuscle.com this link shows how the NPI motor looks in good detail. Take a look at it and maybe it can help.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
He also mentioned drilling&tapping some sensor on the front passenger side of the manifold if that helps.He said he reused the old valve covers cause the new engines inlet pipe was hitting the pi's oil fill neck.

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
Most people who do the PI swap don't do the coil pack swap, they stick with plug wires, because they'd have to do a lot of rewiring to run the COPS, so that's not a good indicator of whether it's been PI swapped or not.

And the 4.6's really don't make good power below 3000rpms, you have to turn them above that to feel the horsepower. That's why all the modular racers launch at 5k rpm and up.

·
Registered
386 Posts
True I did the swap without having to change the coil packs. But the listing says its a PI motor swap would that apply?:headscratch:

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
yeah, you just swap the engines out and keep the dual coils on the front. That's how 99% of them are because the wiring is a bear for little to no gain with the COPS.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok i checked the manifold and im pretty sure its a pi motor,at least a pi swap.I had him get on it and its got some balls.When i drove it he didnt want me to get on it too much.He said he just reused the coil packs.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts