Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Supp Guy's and Gals... Check it out I seriously am getting frustrated, I know my stang is bad, but could be much more Please help... Here's the Problem....

I have a 98 Gt Convertable, Was stock I added a Catted X Pipe, and a Cold Air kit, 78MM Plenium and throttle body... When I changed out the x-pipe my check engine light came on, I bought the extenders, and still it was on, then it had a hesitation while driving every so often, I bought a new MAF sensor and that went away, It still burns Rich it seems, and the check engine light I cant get off, It will reset then bout 2000 mile later same crap... Any Ideas, guy's, at this point would the MIL Eliminators work and which set of O2 sensors do they go on front, back both, and If I get the (Predetor Programmer) I can disable the rear O2 sensors, and tune the car for the greater volume of air. Aldso on the programmer I can Disable the EGR valve, how important is the EGR valves function, and what will it do to my bolt on beast....

Ideas.... Please...

Thanks

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
If you have cats the mils won't help, they are only if you delete the cats, in which case they only go on the rear O2's. You should start by reading the codes, the O2 sensors themselves may be bad, a wire could be pinched. Check the spark plugs and wires too, but bypassing the egr or rear O2's won't help, you need to find what's throwing the code(s) first.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
I have seen cars throw the CEL for low cat efficiency when they have a mid-pipe with high flow cats. They just aren't as effective as the OE cats. Once that efficiency reaches a certain point, the code gets thrown.

Try disconnecting the battery for 20 minutes, that should clear the code. Your ECU will have to re-learn a bunch of parameters and if you plug a code scanner in, you'll get a few codes that don't trigger the CEL. I think they are 1000 series readiness codes, they will clear up after some driving though.

If the CEL comes back after that, have it read or get a code scanner to find out which one it is. If it says 'catalyst low efficiency', you may have a cat going bad OR, it could just be reaching the point where it's efficiency is low enough to set off the code. Either way, you should do some looking around at that point.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Preciate the input, So I guess if I can omit the rear sensors it would have to be the front sensors that would need to be checked... And do you think that all that large amount of air being forced into the intake might have something to do with it....? And would you recomend the tuner to disable the Rear sensors? and recalibrate the Air to Fuel Ratio...?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And Also I have a question to, I Bought this car as a build up, I purchased a cated x-pipe from a friend, Do you think with the volume of air coming in, that if I changed the cated x-pipe to an off-road exhaust and maybe a supper 40 muffler, I can see some better gains...?

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
I they're high-flow cats you won't see much difference if any. With the mods you have you really aren't forcing a lot of extra air in there, that isn't the problem. Are there any driveability problems or just the cel?

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
You can use a tuner to turn off the rear O2's, but if there really is a problem with a cat, then you're only going to get the same problem further down the road.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks guys I think your right on in your assistance, It sounds dead on, and when tallied up, makes sense... Drivability problems yeah sometimes, it Gallups when I turn off the Overdrive, Oh its an auto, I hooked it up to a obdII before, and it said the left bank was lean or misfired, so I have replaced the plugs with Iradium plugs to... But pinched wires may be, I cant really see anything that may be pinched in the engine compartment, Theres just so much crap, when it comes to regulating air to fuel...

there are 3 things in particular it does though and has since the X-pipe swap.

1. It galluped, and check engine light stayed on, so I unhooked the o2 wires to run on CPU memory. and it stalled, so I replaced the MAF and it ran better. AUTOZONE... MAF.. figure I should have bought a better one... they also ran the trouble code which gave a left bank mis-fire, and left bank lean code. which I figured would be the O2's I unhooked, so I bought extenders. No help there.

2. The check engine light stays on, the plugs have been changed, extendors added, and when the I turn the OverDrive off it lopes speraticaully...

3. sometimes it seems as if the trans lags in the third gear, and when it shifts, its not crisp like the others, and revs up a little bit, then shifts....

·
Registered
7 Posts
I own a 1998 mustang gt that had,I say had the same problem.
It was the MAF sensor,I like you was buying them at Autozone,after 3 new sensors I got it to not throw the CEL.
I tryed to buy a new MAF sensor from the Ford dealer,but for the 1998 mustang gt,they have been discontinued. So you have no choice but to buy one from Autozone or Advance auto in my area.
But thats what it was a BAD MAF from Autozone,as soon as I got a good one,NO MORE CEL,no more stumble,no more Rich smell from the ehxaust.
I also have the off road cat delete pipes,75 mm TBody,rear delete MIL,s and Cold air kit. So try another MAF sensor,I like I said had to try 3 new ones (Autozone switched them out each time) Car runs great now,no CEL for 5000 miles so far.

G

·
I tryed to buy a new MAF sensor from the Ford dealer,but for the 1998 mustang gt,they have been discontinued. So you have no choice but to buy one from Autozone or Advance auto in my area.
But thats what it was a BAD MAF from Autozone,as soon as I got a good one

:nono:that is Total ********, that MAF sensor is NOT Discontinued from Ford, here is the part # F8LZ-12B579-AARM and it fits 1996 - 1998 Mustang Gt's and Cobra's along wth MK8's and Continentals of the same years;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
:nono:that is Total ********, that MAF sensor is NOT Discontinued from Ford, here is the part # F8LZ-12B579-AARM and it fits 1996 - 1998 Mustang Gt's and Cobra's along wth MK8's and Continentals of the same years;)
Well if you think so,you call my Ford dealer and tell them that,
HERE is the Ford DEALER name and number
ANDY CLARK FORD,304-425-2128 in Princeton West Virginia,that is what they told me 2 months ago,maybe they lied, but you dont have to say that is ********,why would I tell the guy wrong,I was trying to help him,next time why dont you READ,before you jump!!!!

G

·
Well if you think so,you call my Ford dealer and tell them that,
HERE is the Ford DEALER name and number
ANDY CLARK FORD,304-425-2128 in Princeton West Virginia,that is what they told me 2 months ago,maybe they lied, but you dont have to say that is ********,why would I tell the guy wrong,I was trying to help him,next time why dont you READ,before you jump!!!!
thats Not my job, you call them and tell them there Wrong:nono:

Im just setting the record straight, so no need to jump in my ****, jr:laugh:

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
It's time for :popcorn:

G

·
It's time for :popcorn:

no need for that:nono:
I've just about had my fill of dumb rules, punks and young-snots on here anyway, to much like stangnet :so and I've got too many other forums that I work and moderate on that require my attention anyway:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Holy freakin crap I didnt mean to start an all out Battle Royal I just had another problem any way.. I bought the diablo tuner, and 1. I didnt see anywhere to turn of the rear O2's, and 2 it uploaded the original settings, then I flashed the 93 octain tune, and now the car wont shift out of first gear, and the original tune will not download....... back to the car.... I've tried doing exactly as the manual say's, and tried the prompts from the tuner to, and nothing works, I dont know the password to the tuner, so I cant force the original tune either... I need more help from you guy's....... I know Im needie... But thats my only car, and It is original, and perfect and in 3 years will be my daughters so I wont it to have bite, and but be reliable to..........

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Check the Plenum. When I did mine, it wasn't tight tight and leaked, throwing the same codes :)

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
Holy freakin crap I didnt mean to start an all out Battle Royal I just had another problem any way.. I bought the diablo tuner, and 1. I didnt see anywhere to turn of the rear O2's, and 2 it uploaded the original settings, then I flashed the 93 octain tune, and now the car wont shift out of first gear, and the original tune will not download....... back to the car.... I've tried doing exactly as the manual say's, and tried the prompts from the tuner to, and nothing works, I dont know the password to the tuner, so I cant force the original tune either... I need more help from you guy's....... I know Im needie... But thats my only car, and It is original, and perfect and in 3 years will be my daughters so I wont it to have bite, and but be reliable to..........
You're probably going to have to call DiabloSport. I never had this problem with mine so I couldn't begin to help you.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.