Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i recently took the engine,computer, and harness out of an 87 gt to put in a 92 4cyl car but there are two connectors (one grey,one black) that connect to the harness coming through the drivers side.can anyone tell me what they are for.are they nessesary for the engine to run?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I just went through the same thing

You're probably wondering why there is a brown plug coming through the firewall on the drivers side of the 92, right? The car won't run if those black and grey plugs are disconnected. What I did, to avoid having to splice a ton of wires, was buying a complete engine harness and dash harness from a 93 at a local junk yard($250.00 for both). The older 5.0's had a black and grey plugs at the drivers side firewall, later 5.0's had just a brown plug. I'm not sure what each wire does on the plugs, but they ran functions such as tach, power to the computer, etc. I hope this helps! If you go to fordfuelinjection.com there is a ton of helpful wiring diagrams on there. The search function on this site was very helpful too! Good luck! -Dave

·
Registered
956 Posts
is the black a single wire, small square plug, and the grey a rectangle shaped plug with 2 "cutoff" corners, if its these they are the OBD1 connecters to read codes off the computer, these 2 don't plug into anything other than scanners to read codes

·
Registered
50 Posts
Those are the plugs I mentioned in my last post. They run a bunch of different functions. You'll have to start splicing wires or buy a matching engine harness from a 90-93. Stangrider, is there a brown plug coming from the firewall on the 92 4 banger?

·
Registered
50 Posts
That brown plug takes the place of your black and grey plug. It's possible to splice the wires, but it's a major pain in the a$$! My advice would be to buy an engine harness from a 90-93 5.0, it will have the matching brown plug.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.