Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My name is Rob. I have owned a few Mustangs, including an 89. It was a loaded GT with an AOD. I got a high of 24 MPG a few times and 19 MPG driving pretty hard through the mountains. Not quick off the line.

I currently have a BB car that is pretty quick, but the MPG is going to kill me once I start driving it.

So.....I looked for affordable muscle that I can buy with cash. I considered others but I came back to my favorite.

What I have found is an 87 LX fastback with a 5.0 and a 5-speed and 2.73's.

I would like to keep the engine pretty close to stock with the exception of a drop in filter, and headers / exhaust. I know the SD management system isn't too friendly modify. I do not see a MAS mod or anything anytime soon.

Gears are ok-I do gear work.

What is it going to take to keep me over 20 MPG and run a 13 in the quarter anyday of the week? I just want high 13's. I know they were close stock.

Thank you for your input.

ROB

·
Registered
9 Posts
Over 20mpg, not on a perfect day. You want milage and speed, money is what you need. Intake, throttle body, injectors, gears, and a foot that unfortunately hasn't been issued to any Mustang owner I've ever met. Then, maybe, just maybe, you'll get 10-15.
Good luck to you, and forget the Prius please.

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
In the right weather, with the right driver, and with traction, a 1987 LX can hit high 13s.

As for gas mileage, with everything I have done to mine, I can hit 20 mpg on a long trip. The last time I actually measured it, I averaged 22.

It all depends on your right foot. Everytime you leave a dead stop, you don't have to be balls to the wall. On the highway, don't speed. Lowering your speed by 5 mph seems to increase your mpg by 2.

And you just met your first Mustang owner WITH that foot... ME.

·
Banned
1,207 Posts
I usually get 16 mpg running with the top down, 18 with the top up. I drive it pretty hard, I"m sure I could coax 20 out of it if I kept out of the throttle more.

It has 373 gears with a t5 and gt40 heads with supporting mods.

Last night was my first time at the track since modding the engine, It ran 13.8 at 102 mph. My tires are crap so dr's would probably drop half a second.

Also, I'm in a vert. so way a few hundred more pounds then most. Hurting my mpg and times......

I think your goal can be pretty easily met.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was pretty up on things 10 years ago when I had my 89. I pretty much haven't had any dealings with any Mustangs since then or even read anything about them. I still have my books and stuff from back then but they are dated.

Here is my dealio: 38 mile round trip commute to work. No less, rural living and all. There is a Cummins in the yard -20 mpg. My Jeep will get close to that when done. My 440 A body with gears etc. will have no problem running 13's. But it took so long to get done that I wouldn't build it now. But it is just getting done and I am not wanting to feed all the HP just to get to work.

I have looked at some other options that start with Z and end with an 8:nono: but I just can't seem to do GM. I am from a Ford Family and I have owned three Mustangs.

I found a slightly abused 87 that is more tired from sitting etc. It is cheap, and stock and complete. It has no exhaust however, so I am going to have to do that first. Otherwise it is stock and just tired all over.

I vaguely remember the 87's running low-low 14's stock. I'd like to have an affordable muscle type car that is just a driver / 1-2 times a year strip car. I think the 5.0 is what I need. That and they feel better sitting inside of them compared to comparable cars. The others are too low.

Headers / H pipe/Cat back should be close.......I hope. Maybe some 3.55's......

Thank you for the constructive comments.

ROB

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Here's a basic list of what I have:
Trick Flow Twisted Wedge 170 CC heads
Trick Flow Stage 1 cam
Trick Flow Streetburner Intake
30lb injectors
Lots of other random goodies to make it all work.
T5
3.27 Gears

This past week driving it easy I got 30.4 MPG.... I'm shooting for 35+ with a few more mods.

In a month or so I'm gonna dyno the car in class and I'm hoping to put down 300+ to the wheels.

Once I rebuild my rear end and suspension work done I'm shooting for a 12.0 or faster.... but that's gonna require leaving the line hard.

If you want some mods to get your 1/4 down without affecting fuel economy, do the suspension.... subframe connectors, lower control arms, upper control arms and possibly upper control arm relocation brackets.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am leaning towards keeping the basic parts of the car stock and just making improvements with what I have. There are cars that will do better at what I am after, but I really don't want to drop 5K for it.

I am thinking some 3.55's, suspension, frame and exhaust work will get me there.

Picture a budget driver that will be fun without breaking the bank. That is what I am after.

I'll know today if I am able to get the car. I think we have come to terms, I just need to close the deal.

Thank you, ROB

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Check my mods below. I can get 22-23 mpg freeway and 19 around town. I have 154,000+ on the engine with 3.55 gears, T5 tranny and a few engine mods. Mine runs low 14's but I know it can do better (the driver is still learning!!)

5.0Mustang1989's car is a FREAK getting 30 mpg!!! :laugh: You won't find that too often.

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
Things like control arms, tires, bolt on mods, these all help. The better the traction, less weight and motor drag all add up to better performance and mpg. There is a list of weight reduction here in the search. this is the easiest thing you can do. Other things like electric fan, removal of the airbox silencer, bigger MAF, better intake all are easy cheap swaps.

·
Registered
6,461 Posts
1989 Ford Mustang LX - Fox Buildup

When I wrote that article, the car would pull down 24mph on the 3.73s and drag radials. 12.91 @ 103 on UPR suspension, with weight reduction.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have the car. Currently I am dealing with paperwork so I won't be spending any real $ on it until that is fixed.

I am leaning towards exhaust and a panel air cleaner etc. and running it as is for now. It will need some $ for sure.

One of the PO's removed all the fuses, it does not need keys to run etc.

Hopefully I will get it squared away by mid-August. With paperwork, and travel etc. it will take that long.

·
Registered
6,461 Posts
exhaust & filter will help. BTW, up above, I meant to say that I was pullin' down 24 MPG on the 3.73s

1 - 13 of 13 Posts