Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright well im'a go a bit personal but I really want the opinion of the community on this one.

Basically my car is a 1998 Ford Mustang V6 Convertible(see avatar). It was in excellent shape when bought except spark plugs and brakes(bought brand new brakes system and replaced all spark plugs/battery). I've been giving it quiet a few appearance/performance mods also since I've purchased it(my money). The reason it is a V6 is because I'm only 17 and insurance for a v8 would max out the price of the car in 2-3 years. So what to do? Wait until I'm older to buy a newer,faster, car with saved up money(I already have a 'well paying' job for my age and college payment is no problem) or continue modifying this car with performance parts. With things such as pulleys, full exhaust, springs, HIDs, etc. See what I can get out of my stang which I really love.
Oh and don't say I'm 'wasting my money' because this is one of the things I love to do.

Your opinion would really be appreciated fellow v6 mustang owners and everyone else! :worship

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
The question is how much do you want to spend on your car? How fast do you want to go? Do you or will u go to the track?
You can start with the bolt on stuff as u mentioned. If you want to make it really fast you car, just takes a lot of money

·
Registered
331 Posts
id sell it and buy a 94-95 5.0 or a fox if you wana go older
insurance isnt as bad as you think im paying for insurance on my 99 v6 and 95 5.0 and its only like 150 bux a month through geico not bad at all
but the reason behind the 5.0 is because they are much cheaper and easier to make go fast than the 4.6
not saying theres anything wrong with the 4.6 jus aftermarket performance parts are cheaper for the 5.0

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
can you get under ur parents insurance?? i payed 240 when i first got my car (300 now with a speeding and no insurance ticket) insurance is just the way it has to be man, if you get on ur parents plan or even put ur father on ur plan it will drop ALOT. with my father when i was 18 it was i think 175 full. i say get a gt, or f/i ur 6

·
Banned
9,216 Posts
fast isint everything, i agree be a rider on the rents.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The question is how much do you want to spend on your car? How fast do you want to go? Do you or will u go to the track?
You can start with the bolt on stuff as u mentioned. If you want to make it really fast you car, just takes a lot of money
I'm willing to spend alot of the money I earn in my job. That's one of the reasons I actually took that and to pay for my insurance. Not over 50% of my income though. Yea I want it fast. Track I will go to, but for fun/see my 1/4 time. Not daily stuff.

id sell it and buy a 94-95 5.0 or a fox if you wana go older
insurance isnt as bad as you think im paying for insurance on my 99 v6 and 95 5.0 and its only like 150 bux a month through geico not bad at all
but the reason behind the 5.0 is because they are much cheaper and easier to make go fast than the 4.6
not saying theres anything wrong with the 4.6 jus aftermarket performance parts are cheaper for the 5.0
I don't wanna go older than my car to be honest.My insurance would be 2,500/year if I had what my insurance company believes is a 'sports car'. Florida has the WORST drivers in the nation, because of all the old people so of course it'd be high. Ages below 21 at least.

can you get under ur parents insurance?? i payed 240 when i first got my car (300 now with a speeding and no insurance ticket) insurance is just the way it has to be man, if you get on ur parents plan or even put ur father on ur plan it will drop ALOT. with my father when i was 18 it was i think 175 full. i say get a gt, or f/i ur 6
I've already argued with my parents to be insured under them but they think I'll get several tickets since I've already gotten 2(which isn't bad tbh..) What pisses me off even more is my dad has 2 cars and one of them is a 2008 550 CLS(love driving that) and he settles me with a V6.

S

·
0 Posts
Well if you already have a couple of tickets be careful because if you make your sixxer faster you'll be at risk for getting more. That being said, if it were me I'd build up the six. The sixes are nimble and you could have a solid handling car with some pep to it if you warm up your 3.8. Keeping the car you have gives you the advantage of knowing it's history. Buying something new puts you in the catagory of starting from scratch. I'd say build up what you have and make it something unique!

Either way you have a Stang so it's all good.

:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
YOU HAVE 2 TICKETS?? thats so bad man, you godda watch that. the tickets i could car less about but it kills you in insurance... ya man id say stay with ur 6 and drop a blower on it. you can round a kit up for a 3-4grand... jeck out vapauto.com they have a manifold for the 6's that is sweet (that is if you dont want to go f/i)... but keep ur 6 and mod that swap out ur rear for the 8.8, what are you 5 speed or auto? and get a blower/turbo..

ya godda behave on the road man, it will make it to where you can even afford ur 6.. i had a r6 when i was in school, never got a ticket but i hit over 100mph every day.. just learn ur streets and mainly take it to the track

·
Registered
126 Posts
im in the same boat as u man! i want a cobra soooo bad! cuz i wanna drive a 5/6 speed car with black leather interior and a fast one! but i have a 98 v6 that ive put a ton of money into so far and can't let it go for 1. it means so much to me as its my real first car and 2. ive put too much money into that id never get out. something that i think of is the more u do on this car the more u learn about cars and then when u get a faster car ull know what mods to get and stuff. but ya insurance sux for v8s thats y i couldn't get one. so i pretty much work to pay for mods on my car haha which i LOVE doing!

o ya and also if u decide to trick out this one i think u could be pretty well liked at the track if ur 6er is keeping up with or beating v8s! lol

·
Registered
46 Posts
deadlystang, Nice Stang!!!
Ok 2 cents from a older forum member, tweak your car and make it your own, No sense in throwing your money away on Insurance Only time it is needed and used they will jack your rates again even more man Just to drive a V8? Lets see 3-4000.00 in mods super six power pack exhaust cai gears and locker maybe a little nos. The word is sleeper
Carl

S

·
0 Posts
I just like the idea of less engine weight up front with the 3.8. Your front to rear weight ratio is more even which is great for handling. Even the added weight of a SC won't affect that too much. 8's aren't always the answer. Take what you have and make it fun and unique!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well if you already have a couple of tickets be careful because if you make your sixxer faster you'll be at risk for getting more. That being said, if it were me I'd build up the six. The sixes are nimble and you could have a solid handling car with some pep to it if you warm up your 3.8. Keeping the car you have gives you the advantage of knowing it's history. Buying something new puts you in the catagory of starting from scratch. I'd say build up what you have and make it something unique!

Either way you have a Stang so it's all good.

Yea very true. I would hate to start from scratch after all the work I've put into it.. Thanks for the helpful advice. :bounce2:

YOU HAVE 2 TICKETS?? thats so bad man, you godda watch that. the tickets i could car less about but it kills you in insurance... ya man id say stay with ur 6 and drop a blower on it. you can round a kit up for a 3-4grand... jeck out vapauto.com they have a manifold for the 6's that is sweet (that is if you dont want to go f/i)... but keep ur 6 and mod that swap out ur rear for the 8.8, what are you 5 speed or auto? and get a blower/turbo..

ya godda behave on the road man, it will make it to where you can even afford ur 6.. i had a r6 when i was in school, never got a ticket but i hit over 100mph every day.. just learn ur streets and mainly take it to the track
Ya! Two damn tickets. I hate Florida sometimes.

I rolled a stop sign on one of those. He saw I was 17 so he did it just because he knew my insurance would go up. Pretty sure that is a possible reason considering 99% of the people roll signs.

im in the same boat as u man! i want a cobra soooo bad! cuz i wanna drive a 5/6 speed car with black leather interior and a fast one! but i have a 98 v6 that ive put a ton of money into so far and can't let it go for 1. it means so much to me as its my real first car and 2. ive put too much money into that id never get out. something that i think of is the more u do on this car the more u learn about cars and then when u get a faster car ull know what mods to get and stuff. but ya insurance sux for v8s thats y i couldn't get one. so i pretty much work to pay for mods on my car haha which i LOVE doing!

o ya and also if u decide to trick out this one i think u could be pretty well liked at the track if ur 6er is keeping up with or beating v8s! lol
Yea me and this 6er has been through some good times so far. Glad to see someone with a v6 is on the same boat as me. :kooky:

deadlystang, Nice Stang!!!
Ok 2 cents from a older forum member, tweak your car and make it your own, No sense in throwing your money away on Insurance Only time it is needed and used they will jack your rates again even more man Just to drive a V8? Lets see 3-4000.00 in mods super six power pack exhaust cai gears and locker maybe a little nos. The word is sleeper
Carl
Thanks Carl :D. I like your thought on that. I'm really tempted to make my v6 a sorta 'unexpected killer'. Besides not TOO bad of a difference on a GT/v6 on my 98 like for example the 2011 v6 vs 2011 GT.

Oh and not to mention gas mileage is better which means more money for mods!! :smoke:

·
Registered
46 Posts
deadlystang
Ya see I bought my stang because it was a good deal and the gas MPG on a stock V6 was not bad- compared to my Silverado. There are a few things you can do to the 6s and the Internet is a wealth of Info. If your car is paid for Keep it drive it enjoy it,
Carl

·
Registered
323 Posts
sixers are fun little cars for daily driving, their much more agile than a v8 with the lower weight. if anything their actualy more fun to drive on the road dodging around out of control corrolas :p, however that being said on the track....ill keep my gt, if you got the money u can do what i did, (im 19 so im in the same boat) keep the sixer for DD than buy a gt and dont register it, get a v8 and find a cusin who has an extra flatbed he lets u borrow anytime u want. then u dont need insurance and trust me wen ur running 10 second quarter miles (and lower) theres nothign more exhilerating

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
sixers are fun little cars for daily driving, their much more agile than a v8 with the lower weight. if anything their actualy more fun to drive on the road dodging around out of control corrolas :p, however that being said on the track....ill keep my gt, if you got the money u can do what i did, (im 19 so im in the same boat) keep the sixer for DD than buy a gt and dont register it, get a v8 and find a cusin who has an extra flatbed he lets u borrow anytime u want. then u dont need insurance and trust me wen ur running 10 second quarter miles (and lower) theres nothign more exhilerating
Ya I wish I could have two cars at this time. That's pretty impressive if you can run 10 second 1/4s.

Getting the usual mods sounds good to me at this point. It may be a V6 but it still gets me near my trunk at 3200rpms if you know what I mean. :hihi:

·
Registered
119 Posts
Dude, yes. save your money. Im 17 with a v6 as well. Saving my money for a future gt or such. Im doing appearance mods to mine as well. GTs in the coming years will have more stock power anyways, is how I see it.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I got an 01 v6 and I love the car. I can understand why you want more power out of your car because hell the 24v dual over head cam ford taurus' can beat us which is embarising considering my mom drives one.
But we are 17 and getting something faster is a death trap. You put alot of work in your car you wont want to get rid of it and hell save your money and put in a 5.0 or 4.6 down the road. Be greatfull for what you got lol.
my last car was a pice of crap merc. sable that was rusted to hell n buring anti freez n could smell it in the car lol
there is potential with the v6 you just need the pockets for it and it seems like your not shy so stick with that car.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I absolutely loved reading this whole thread. I'm 22, 23 in may and my insurance for the v6 is like, 3x what it is for our f250, which I feel is jacked. lol But I pay around 70/m. When I was 17 we lived in Florida for about 6m and the drivers down there are ridiculous! My moms insurance, with a 100% clean record, in a 02 Cavalier was outrageous. I had a friend who got hit by an uninsured driver at a red light and she got screwed. I think florida needs to figure out some way to control their driving population a lil more, lol. We live in Indiana and have our fair share. I had 2 warnings and a parking ticket(At school!) when I was 16. ANd I had a 94 Cavalier at that time. But then when I got my first v6 in my first marriage I got a 165$ ticket on the way back from North Carolina, and then I got one for just over 100$ in North Carolina. But my insurance actually kept going down rather than up. o_O I went from 110$ a month to 85$ until we split up and he took the car then I got a firebird which was such a POS, but I behaved in it, and the same for my sunfire, but I got pulled over in the current V6 and a warning for going 45 in a 35. lol We plan on keeping our sixxer, adding on to it and getting another thats a 5spd unless we find a 94+gt thats a 5spd for the same price. Everyone I latch on to is sold. :smirk
But enough of my rambling. I would keep doing to your sixxer what you want to do. You can pack a punch in these lil cars. They're great engines from what I've experienced and heard. Maybe a few years down the road, say, in or after college it'll be time to upgrade to a faster car, like the GT. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I got an 01 v6 and I love the car. I can understand why you want more power out of your car because hell the 24v dual over head cam ford taurus' can beat us which is embarising considering my mom drives one.
But we are 17 and getting something faster is a death trap. You put alot of work in your car you wont want to get rid of it and hell save your money and put in a 5.0 or 4.6 down the road. Be greatfull for what you got lol.
my last car was a pice of crap merc. sable that was rusted to hell n buring anti freez n could smell it in the car lol
there is potential with the v6 you just need the pockets for it and it seems like your not shy so stick with that car.
Haha yea I guess I can see what you mean by appreciate what you've got and done.

I absolutely loved reading this whole thread. I'm 22, 23 in may and my insurance for the v6 is like, 3x what it is for our f250, which I feel is jacked. lol But I pay around 70/m. When I was 17 we lived in Florida for about 6m and the drivers down there are ridiculous! My moms insurance, with a 100% clean record, in a 02 Cavalier was outrageous. I had a friend who got hit by an uninsured driver at a red light and she got screwed. I think florida needs to figure out some way to control their driving population a lil more, lol. We live in Indiana and have our fair share. I had 2 warnings and a parking ticket(At school!) when I was 16. ANd I had a 94 Cavalier at that time. But then when I got my first v6 in my first marriage I got a 165$ ticket on the way back from North Carolina, and then I got one for just over 100$ in North Carolina. But my insurance actually kept going down rather than up. o_O I went from 110$ a month to 85$ until we split up and he took the car then I got a firebird which was such a POS, but I behaved in it, and the same for my sunfire, but I got pulled over in the current V6 and a warning for going 45 in a 35. lol We plan on keeping our sixxer, adding on to it and getting another thats a 5spd unless we find a 94+gt thats a 5spd for the same price. Everyone I latch on to is sold. :smirk
But enough of my rambling. I would keep doing to your sixxer what you want to do. You can pack a punch in these lil cars. They're great engines from what I've experienced and heard. Maybe a few years down the road, say, in or after college it'll be time to upgrade to a faster car, like the GT. :bigthumbsup
Hopefully sooner than college. But yea, insurance over here is crazy unless you have the money in your pockets. Like my friend who's got an '06 GTO and a Hayabusa. Check out his insurance down here. :kooky:

·
Registered
190 Posts
Start with a savings account. Put some away for school. (dont want to sound like your mom, but youl thank me) then turbo the 6. itd be awesome to have a sixxer that eats eights

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.