Ford Mustang Forum banner

I Nicked A Rim!!

G
2018 35
It finally happened. Mrs. Snack has the car today so I didn't get a chance to nab a pic for reference yet. I kissed a curb and put a nice little gouge in the rear passenger fanblade. D*mnit!

It's not too bad as it's right along the tire edge and I might be able to polish it with a Dremel or something but it just makes me mad because I know it's there. I was making a turn out of a parking lot and for some reason just cut it too close. Stupid. I'll see if I can get a pic up here for reference later.

I'm always so careful but I guess it was bound to happen. It would be a better story if I said I was running from the cops or something but nope... just plain zonin' out while driving and it's my own fault.

:so
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 36 of 36 Posts
G
Sounds like time for new wheels...

:shigrin
I did the same thing. I pulled into a drive through teller lane, and just kissed the rim. I got most of it out using a fine metal-working Ba$tard (that's what it's called, but the computer won't let me use the proper word) file and some 600 grit wet and dry paper. It's not too bad now, but I still know it's there. Oh well, I want new rims anyway.
Gotta love those B A S T A R D S ! :hihi: I have a pack of 6!
I did the same thing. I pulled into a drive through teller lane, and just kissed the rim. I got most of it out using a fine metal-working Ba$tard (that's what it's called, but the computer won't let me use the proper word) file and some 600 grit wet and dry paper. It's not too bad now, but I still know it's there. Oh well, I want new rims anyway.
I scratched mine up pretty good going thru a dunkin donuts drive thru 5am in the morning. Cobble stone curb, Dug into the clearcoat and all. Was pist for a good week, now oh well :so

Gives me a reason to look at rims :D
G
If only... :gringreen

My train of thought is more along the lines of... I scratched a rim time for Procharger. That's a bit hard to justify, though.
Sounds like time for new wheels...

:shigrin
Anything's possible. :D
If only... :gringreen

My train of thought is more along the lines of... I scratched a rim time for Procharger. That's a bit hard to justify, though.
G
I like your positive attitude!

I have champagne tastes on a beer salary, though, so I have to choose my mods wisely. It's not even that Mrs. Snack is against anything... I just like feeling responsible now and again.

Our 66 is just about ready for paint so all the money has been going that route for a while.

:bigthumbsup
I have been terrified of this day for quite a long time...I hope it doesnt happen to me
Here's a couple that may prove useful:
Chiz's "Curb Rash Repair" How-To - SVTPerformance
ALL: 30 Minute Amateur Rim Rash Repair - Audizine

One good reason to avoid all-black wheels: nick a rim and it stands out like a sore - uh - wheel. Guess I should carry a bottle of touch-up for embarrassing emergencies.

Can you see it?

Attachments

G
Sorry to rouse a fear in you... your rims are nothing to mess with! It hurts bad enough with the stockers!

I have been terrified of this day for quite a long time...I hope it doesnt happen to me

One good reason to avoid all-black wheels: nick a rim and it stands out like a sore - uh - wheel. Guess I should carry a bottle of touch-up for embarrassing emergencies.

Can you see it?
Nice info... thanks!
those rims are amazing:)

Can you see it?
I haven't posted here for a long while but I dropped in and saw the thread and it was good timing. I just finished smoothing out some rash on my rim. It was on the edge about a quarter of the way around. I took a dremel tool and very carefully worked it out. It took about an hour or so but it looks good.

If you do this be very careful not to get tangled up into your tire. I think that would be easy to do.
G
Thanks ricfly... In a week or two that just what I'll be doing. I have all the right tips I need for my Dremel (best tool ever invented by the way) so we'll see how much worse I can make it. At this point I'm not stressing over it any more. That was the toughest part:gringreen
I haven't posted here for a long while but I dropped in and saw the thread and it was good timing. I just finished smoothing out some rash on my rim. It was on the edge about a quarter of the way around. I took a dremel tool and very carefully worked it out. It took about an hour or so but it looks good.

If you do this be very careful not to get tangled up into your tire. I think that would be easy to do.
Another solution is to have a "spare" wheel. I purchased one of the NewTakeOffs Bullitt Charcoal 17" wheel for $89 (mint condition) a week after purchasing the car and stored it. I figure I will one day hit a curb or something. Then I will put the tire on this wheel and send the damaged one off to Wheels America who do a fantastic job of repairing most aluminum wheels for about $125-$150. Then the once damaged one will become the "spare" wheel.:hihi:
G
That's actually not a bad idea there. I wonder how much the stocker Fanblades cost? I'll have to do some searching. I know they're not fancy but ever since I saw them on the concept car I knew that's what I wanted.
Another solution is to have a "spare" wheel. I purchased one of the NewTakeOffs Bullitt Charcoal 17" wheel for $89 (mint condition) a week after purchasing the car and stored it. I figure I will one day hit a curb or something. Then I will put the tire on this wheel and send the damaged one off to Wheels America who do a fantastic job of repairing most aluminum wheels for about $125-$150. Then the once damaged one will become the "spare" wheel.:hihi:
But if you can get takeoffs for $90 why not just buy more takeoffs rather than spend more money to have the damaged one fixed (of course I'm assuming an endless supply of takeoffs) :)
21 - 36 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.