Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i run 91 octane gas in my stang, i have a few mods as well.. is that cool? or should i just stick with 87.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Depends what the mods are...search this forum there are a lot of threads on this.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
You should be fine with 87 as long as you don't have anything like a ship, tuner or timing adjuster that will advance your timing. Also if you have a blower or N2O you should be running 91.

·
Registered
736 Posts
You should be okay with 87, but if you add any type of forced induction, you will need 93 octane.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The SEARCH button is your friend.

Run as low an octane as you can without pinging or detonation. Anything more is a plain waste of money.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Why spend the extra cash....only your pocket book knows for sure.

·
Registered
14 Posts
You are wasting your money if you do not have a tune for 91 octane.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Thats BS if I would tell you to use 87 or 89 or 93 octane.....

The only one who can find out is you:
Get 87 octane gas and drive your car on a warm, dry day, AC on.
Cruise for about 5 minutes (on interstate what so ever) and then put the hammer all down.
If you hear engine ping, which actually sounds more like someone ratteling with a bounch of keys below the hood, betwen 4000 and 5000 RPM @ WOT you know that you would be better off with higher octane gas.

Check that out and you'll know!

·
Registered
573 Posts
Here's what i have Heard so far n gas and Mustangs.............95-99 stangs use 89 octane
(mid grade) from the factory.......I you put 93 octane in any ofthese cars stock they will die and not stay started.........2000-2005 mustangs are equipted with a better puter that will allow the use of 87-93 octane........I have to use 93 or my 98 will really pig and sputter.....but It's sc'd and chiped........

I would stick with factory gas ratings untill you get more mods>
JMOP,
TK

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.