Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I smelled coolant all the way to work today. The smell wasnt that strong. But it did get stronger when I turned on my AC. I could smell it coming right out of the vents.

I havent have a chance to really look at it. And the car isnt overheating (yet).

Any Ideas? I hope this isnt bad.

R

·
0 Posts
I'm not sure but maybe the heater core is bad or a line it broken.. Also for the heater core on the pass side is it wet over there??

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope, not wet on the passanger floor.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Betcha it is the heater core. If you ran the A/C with the windows up, and the smell got worse, then it is not likely that you'd be increasing the stench eminiating from under the hood. If it is the core, the puddles will soon be evident as the hole will quickly get larger.

However, I would not rule out a leak from the engine bay. Lack of puddles are NOT an indication of anything. Sometimes the leak is small enough to allow rapid evaporation by the adjacent hot metal.

On a '95, if you are still running stock hoses, it is well past the time to replace all of them. Cheap project any day of the week. Next suspect would be the water pump, and worst case would be the head.

But, with the symptoms you describe, my first bet is still the heater core. Take another look on both sides of the tranny hump for dampness.

·
Registered
18 Posts
most defently the Heat Core!!

I could smell coolant when the A/C was on, then vapors started comming out of the vents infront of the windshield, and then I started seeing coolant pooring out from under the dash when I went WOT. Last sign was overheating.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Heater Core.
Not a fun job and if you want to get some more miles out of it run some Bar Leak and it will plug the small hole without a problem. The only thing is if you want to change the core do it before it gets cold because it makes the job harder dealing with all that palstic when things get cold and brittle.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.