Ford Mustang Forum banner

I think i fell in love with a 92 5.0. Need Suggestions!

1315 Views 23 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  lazyboi5
Last week i had to part with my 97 GT vert. It wasnt fast and it wasnt anything amazing but im 18 and it was my first mustang. I started my search for 94 through 04 body styles because i just assumed they looked the most modern and classy. But browsing through craigslist i stumbled upon a black 92 GT sitting on 17 inch cobra wheels. I fell in love. it only has 83,000 miles and it has upgrades such as h pipe, flowmasters, CAI, and subframe connectors. He is asking $3200 for the car is that a good price? I'm not exactly familiar with mustangs older than 94' so what should i expect from this car? Would it outrun 94-98 mustangs?
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Last week i had to part with my 97 GT vert. It wasnt fast and it wasnt anything amazing but im 18 and it was my first mustang. I started my search for 94 through 04 body styles because i just assumed they looked the most modern and classy. But browsing through craigslist i stumbled upon a black 92 GT sitting on 17 inch cobra wheels. I fell in love. it only has 83,000 miles and it has upgrades such as h pipe, flowmasters, CAI, and subframe connectors. He is asking $3200 for the car is that a good price? I'm not exactly familiar with mustangs older than 94' so what should i expect from this car? Would it outrun 94-98 mustangs?

I don't think you are going to buy a 92GT with 83,000 original miles for $3200......unless it is beat to crap and the low miles is all it has going for it...its prolly 183,000 miles......

Remeber the foxbody mustang is a CNN top investment car under $5,000
Can we see the link to the craigslist posting?
Be-careful falling in love with a used car..

Remember it's a v8 mustang.. Those coulda been some hard miles... Go have a look, take pictures and have a drive..
92 Mustang GT thought it seemed a little too good to be true also. Its not too far from my lake so maybe ill check it out this weekend.
dont look bad i say go look at it at least:bigthumbsup
When I was in high school I wanted one of those so bad.. Funny thing.. The LX with the 5.0 was faster.. The ground effects or something made the GT weigh more?? IDK
I still like em.. My wife thinks they look like a taurus. So to get a Mustang I had to buy new.. I am not complaining:winks..

Car looks good from a distance... Take that horse for a ride..
well my car has 70,200 miles... i got it a few years ago with 40,000 OG miles. Its not unheard of at all. Especially from an old lady or old man that drove it soft:)
Before you buy it check the torque box, make sure its straight and not twisted. A good place to tell if it has been driven hard. (if the torque box doesnt look too good stay away, it has been driven pretty hard and had some really hard launches)

second remember to check the body and see if its straight, the fox body had a weak frame (to do this check and see if the gaps between the doors are consistent all around)

since it is almost a 20 year old are, make sure the odometer reading is correct. make sure the numbers are all aligned, if they aren't it meeans the odometer as rolled over once or more.

This isn't a deal breaker, but check and see if there is a hatch cover. Hard to find. Mine didnt come with one and im still looking for one that matches the color of my interior

when u test drive it, have it run for at least 10 mins to make sure the radiator and the cooling system is working. Mine came with a bad radiator and i didnt know that -_-*

i think there are some more advices in a sticky thread in this 5.0 Talk forum, you should check it out
Oh yea.... make sure its not a convertion from a 4 cylinder, make sure its a real 5.0 ;)
a 4 cyl gt? lol do a carfax it will tell you the last known mileage and if it was originally a gt (gts didnt come in 4 cyl) if so it looks nice to me
It looks ok but hard to tell. The only way is ti see it during the day and really go over it so you know what your getting into, But other than that it's a decent price but expect to fix a couple of things.
Would that car be faster than the 94-98 mustangs? My main focus is to dust this kid at my school who just got a Eclipse for his bday and decided to flip me off driving down the road. Not sure if its a 4 cy or v6 but its an older eclipse probably pre-99. Also its a vert....and ugly...jus thought i'd throw that in there :gringreen
Well those eclipses can run if it is the older 2.0 turbo.

Now listen you can make anything fast it all comes down to money and how you use it.

You could've made your stang faster byt doing a PI swap and maybe a little boost via a used supercharger.
If its the none turbo one, you dont have to worry, the 94-98 should beat a non turbo. I dusted one with my 4 door 2001 honda accord lx (4 cylinder with just Short Ram). Im not sure if the 94-98 can take the turbo, no experience there. As for that generation, remember that the 94-95 is the 5.0 and the 96-98 is a 4.6. As far as i can remember the 96-97 were dogs, the 98's were ok, but if u want to get a fast stock 4.6 u will have to look at the 99-2004 ones. the foxes could probably beat the 94-95s since the foxes had more power and were lower. as for the foxes vs the 96-97 i think thats a driver's race. the 98 (if i remember correctly) would walk all over the foxes.

yea, am18195 is right, carfax it first. also, that car can be a 4 cylinder lx converted to a gt with an 8. im just pointing this out, theres alot of bodykits out there :)

When that kid accelerates, do you hear a spooling noise?
I called the guy on the car. He said the heater core needs replaced ( he has a core it just needs to be installed). Also he said the paint isnt terrible but a new paint job wouldn't hurt and the drivers side window doesnt work ( he believes its the switch). He said the radiator fan works fine but its a litte "tangled up"? i didnt know exactly what he meant by that. How much do you think i would have in this car and if i fixed it all up do u think i could make any money off of it if i got it for around $2700? Also needs new back tires.
Its got more mods than listed. I HAS been lowered. You can see that in the pics. Definitely carfax it to check mileage and any "incidents" it may have been in.
$3200 is a great price if it is what they say it is. :yup:
G
I cannot stress how important a Carfax or Autocheck is. I really recommend the Autocheck. Carfax charges you $45 for three or five checks, and Autocheck gives you unlimited checks for 30 days on $45.
What does he mean about the radiator fan bring tangled up?

For that price you will definitely have things to fix. As mentioned get a car fax.

Stay away from it if rusted as that's costly to repair. If he starts talking about electrical issues, run away.
Other than those two most things are easily solvable.
Look for any signs of leaks. Look under the car behind the harmonic balancer and if it's wet the water pump is bad. Very common on these cars at this age.

The heater core itself is cheap. I recommend using the motorcraft one as it's Beefier than aftermarket ones. Installing it is a major pita and several hundred bucks to have shop do it. There are write ups on how to do it if you want.
Just keep in mind its $3200 for a reason, most people are not stupid and price foxes accordingly, cars going to need a ton of work, but the base point seems reasonable, definitly worth a look see :bigthumbsup
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.