Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have modded my mustang so much that I dont want to get rid of it just to change the transmission and a tranny swap is really expensive. I kick my self not getting a manual when I got my mustang the reason why I didnt get a manual is because I didnt know how to drive manual I learned like a month after. I just want a manual to feel the power of the engine and be able to have more control. What should I do?????

·
Registered
784 Posts
put a water bottle in the cup holder and pretend.:laugh:

or if you payed off the car already you could upgrade and get a gt with a manual. that's what i did.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
put a water bottle in the cup holder and pretend.:laugh:

or if you payed off the car already you could upgrade and get a gt with a manual. that's what i did.
yeah the car was paid off when i bought it paid in cash 10800$

·
Registered
365 Posts
I didn't know how to drive a stick shift so I kerned when I got my car, it is definitely a blast and a lot more fun to drive, u feel like u control the car completely like u raw the car, it really us a great feel, I say do it u will have so much fun and u really feel the torque with a stick shift it's awesome:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
365 Posts
I'm going to throw a coyote in my car within the next year I'll need a new teeny for it so when time comes I could hit u up and sell u mine and I'll give it to u cheap so u can have some fun, mine on,y has 50k on it, never grinder gears or anything

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm going to throw a coyote in my car within the next year I'll need a new teeny for it so when time comes I could hit u up and sell u mine and I'll give it to u cheap so u can have some fun, mine on,y has 50k on it, never grinder gears or anything
will it come with the ECU and everything to do the conversion?

·
Registered
365 Posts
will it come with the ECU and everything to do the conversion?
I'll be buying the crate engine they offer I don't think it comes w ecu, I'm gonna pretty much strip my mustang down to e frame and just have brand new stuff in it, I love s197 biddy style so all the stuff I'm going to do is worth it to me, and I'll be doing the swap and everything myself so I'll save a good amount on labor, its like raising a baby haha

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll be buying the crate engine they offer I don't think it comes w ecu, I'm gonna pretty much strip my mustang down to e frame and just have brand new stuff in it, I love s197 biddy style so all the stuff I'm going to do is worth it to me, and I'll be doing the swap and everything myself so I'll save a good amount on labor, its like raising a baby haha
i just wanna now what it would cost to do a auto to manual swap?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Man I really couldn't even tell you I know a t5 would be anywhere from probably 1500-2000 I would guess, I'm sure labor would be around te same :/

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Man I really couldn't even tell you I know a t5 would be anywhere from probably 1500-2000 I would guess, I'm sure labor would be around te same :/
i was gonna do it my self

·
Registered
365 Posts
Yeah I'd say u can rib get it for ftwo thousand it is well worth it IMO, but I'd upgrade to a stronger tranny that can handle more power just in case u wanted to do some stuff to your car later down on the road I think there is a guy on here with a gt500 tran, I'll find out who he was selling it for $1700

·
Registered
365 Posts
His name is 2manystangs on here, he offered to sell me it for 1700$ I forget what type it was but it was from a cobra and could take 650hp I say buy that from him

·
Registered
784 Posts
if you want to go cheaper you could check ebay for a tranny. Get a GT tranny or even better get a gt500 tranny. i believe someone makes an adapter for the 4.0 for those two.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have modded my mustang so much that I dont want to get rid of it just to change the transmission and a tranny swap is really expensive. I kick my self not getting a manual when I got my mustang the reason why I didnt get a manual is because I didnt know how to drive manual I learned like a month after. I just want a manual to feel the power of the engine and be able to have more control. What should I do?????
Best upgrade you can ever do for the automatic is the TCI Shifter, sold by none other than AM. So much more fun to drive because you actually can feel each shift and I have definitely felt more control (killed a SS Camaro the other day on the 1/4 mile with this bad boy). Look at the reviews and video if you don't believe me, but seriously awesome product and easy self install:

TCI StreetFighter Ratchet Shifter (05-09 Mustang V6/GT Auto) at AmericanMuscle - Free Shipping!

YouTube - ‪StangTV.com - TCI StreetFighter Ratchet Shifter for the 5R55S‬‏

·
Registered
344 Posts
I agree that the TCI shifter would make it more fun to drive. I bet it would cost a lot more than 2K to convert. Remember you have to change the pedals, clutch cable, flywheel, get a clutch, new driveshaft, or at least had yours modified and maybe even a new starter. Price all of that out and I bet that's an additional 2K.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Yeahh,... I was just saying trany 2k but I'm sure all that would be much morse lol

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
I have a friend with a 4.0 auto, that also wanted to have a manual, but fell in love with the car. He purchased the slap shifter and really likes it, even put a boot from a stick shift on it and looks like a stick shift.

IMO its not worth the transplant, unless you are also swapping out the engine.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Sounds nice, and for those who might say "why spend that much money on the TCI shifter", I can ask them why they might spend $1000 on different wheels. If you want it and can afford to buy it, why not.

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
i drove a stick most of my life, when i was a kid and had the 67 hot rod, the stick was the only way to go and it was fun. but i was wrenching on that car every week. if i never own another one that would be fine by me. the old ideas that they are tuffer and have less trouble is a myth. if you like to drive spirited, yes they can be fun, but you have to be prepared to be dropping the trans, replacing slave units, pressure plates, clutch disks, flywheels,( which is another part for your parts list), shifters, syncros and gears give out and the list goes on. they are not cheap to have rebuilt and they suck in heavy traffic and hilly areas too.

my g/f`s 06 is a stick. once in a while i`ll take it for a run, its ok but doesnt take me long and i`m tired of driving it. i think i`m just burned out on it, and i got tired of working on them. lucky for me she drives like a lady, but i know i`ll have to work on hers sooner or later too.

on the street fighter, i have to agree, its the coolest thing sinse buttered bread. people see it and dont know what to think, its fun to play with if you so choose, or you dont have to and its fine too :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
I made the same mistake when I bought my first mustang an 07 GT auto... I like you didn't know how to drive stick either. But once I learned I had to have a manual, so I sold the 07 and got myself an 09 GT500. GT or GT500 doesn't matter a manual will always be more fun to drive (yes the super charger helps too :gringreen). It cost me more to do what I did but it was so worth it, I love my body style and always have a blast driving. Once you do it you will never regret it.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts