Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my sisters boyfriend has a brand new 2012 Mustang V6 manual w/ pony package and he let me drive it today. I love manuals and I always will and I wish my 2006 V6 was manual too just sucks that I didnt know how to drive manual at the time when I was in the market for a mustang because I would have sure bought a manual.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Manuals Are Great

Iv had auto and manual mustangs quite a fee but there is nothing like a v8 manual.At the moment i have a 65 replica shelby topload with hurst shifter and i would not swop for anything...:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
306 Posts
Well you can console yourself with knowing that you probably wouldn't have easily found a manual V6. Each year Ford only made about 15% of the V6s with manuals. With 85% being automatic its actually hard to find a manual V6. I just plain got lucky with my GO V6 manual. I stumbled across it at a local Chevy dealership.
Not to rub it in but your right its worth it. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
73 Posts
Well my sisters boyfriend has a brand new 2012 Mustang V6 manual w/ pony package and he let me drive it today. I love manuals and I always will and I wish my 2006 V6 was manual too just sucks that I didnt know how to drive manual at the time when I was in the market for a mustang because I would have sure bought a manual.

holy run-on sentence batman!

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Picked up my 05 manual two months ago for my daughter to drive. When anyone gives her crap about being a V6 she asks them if they know how to drive a manual. :)

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
ya, i had a built 289 4 speed in a 67 fastback, it was a blast. but i bet i pulled that trans 6 times in 2 years. and it wasnt just the race car, i had a f250 truck for 12+ yrs, had that one out a few times too, plus a $2000 rebuild once on it. everyone wants to have fun with the stick, but its not so much fun after you have to pull the trans out every year to fix stuff, and sink a bunch of money in it :nogrinner you couldnt give me a manual trans for free any more, i love my auto :) ( but if i get in the mood, i can jump in the g/f`s 06 too)

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
I've been driving manuals all my life. Never had a problem. Guess I'm lucky not to have had one that broke down every 4 months. Swat-Zombies, if you feel that strong about it, make a change. Like somebody once told me,"You gotta treat yourself sometimes."

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
I never had a manual break down on me, and I've driven some poorly maintained, worn-out vehicles. I've broken some stuff further down the drive line though.

When I trained to drive a bus we had worn-out school buses, and one afternoon I got one with a clutch that would really grab. It was either off or on, no in-between. You really had to nurse it into every gear, and it would make the whole bus shudder.

I told my instructor that it was a bad clutch and should be fixed and he was a **** about it and told me I didn't know how to drive. Yeah, what did I know, I've driven my sister's hacked-up Mercury with 3-on-the-tree for years that our cousin installed a new clutch wrong, and my furniture moving job with a '62 Chevy pickup with no gas pedal (just the steel bar that connected it to the carb), and worked on cars since I was 16, was an engineering student, but heck I didn't know how to drive and certainly didn't know anything about mechanical things.

I'm driving this worn-out bus all over town in traffic with hills and he's getting frustrated because I'm not stalling it out and proving him right. Finally he directs me to a back driveway on campus and I know exactly where he's headed. There's a steep hill, probably a 15% grade back there that I used to test out the tune on my girl's '66 Mustang. Sure enough he's got me on the hill and tells me to stop the bus, then start it on the hill.

So I let the bus roll to a stop, pull the emergency hand brake, rev the engine and got the clutch engaged, let the brake out and start up the hill with the usual shudder and shake. Now he's really pissed and says 'no, do it without the hand brake'.

I stop the bus again, and turn around to look him in the eye and ask him why. He didn't have a legitimate answer. So I told him, again, that the clutch was a problem and he is likely to damage this bus. He basically told me to shut up and do it or he'd flunk me.

I stepped on the service brake, let the hand brake out, rev'd the engine and engaged the clutch while the bus rolled back about ten feet until bang! - clang! and I heard the drive shaft bounce on the road below us.

So I pulled the hand brake back, shut the motor off, opened the door and started to go outside and assess the damage. Before I make it to the door he yells at me to start the bus back up and try it again. I stop and look at him, shake my head and asked him "don't you realize that the drive shaft is on the ground?"

I get outside and sure enough there it is lying on the ground. I got the chock blocks out and set the rear wheels then ask "I guess my lesson is over, huh?" And he replies "yeah, and don't worry this wasn't your fault." and I told him ' damn straight it's not my fault" and turned around and walked home.

·
Registered
531 Posts
dude what an ass. you should have smacked him with that driveshaft. its too bad their are people like that everywhere.

did you flunk or did he pass you ?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've been driving manuals all my life. Never had a problem. Guess I'm lucky not to have had one that broke down every 4 months. Swat-Zombies, if you feel that strong about it, make a change. Like somebody once told me,"You gotta treat yourself sometimes."
Yeah but ive already sunk a ton of money into my mustang I have now

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I guess manuals dont hold glory forever I was driving my dads 1993 Ford Ranger and As I was pulling it in the garage the clutch when out hmm what you gonna do. It was gonna go out sometime soon anyway because the truck has 125000 miles on it with the original clutch it just finally let go.

·
Registered
126 Posts
My clutch blew out like a fat kid's sock at 55k. Only 20k of those miles were from me so I think the kid that had it first flogged it. I'm not worried about having to drop the trans again though, because next time it will be much easier. That's one of the benefits of hanging onto a car for awhile. You really start to figure out how it is put together.

·
Registered
462 Posts
It depends on what you use it for. While I love my manual cruising around town, I also use it to commute 65 miles each way, all highway. There is no doubt in my mind that it is getting me better mileage than an automatic, but I dread every time there is a sea of brake lights up ahead. Nothing is worse than bumper-to-bumper traffic with a 5 speed.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
dude what an ass. you should have smacked him with that driveshaft. its too bad their are people like that everywhere.

did you flunk or did he pass you ?
He passed me; he had to. I could have slapped his sister and he would have passed me. If not I would have taken it up with his supervisor and told the entire story.:laugh:

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
My clutch blew out like a fat kid's sock at 55k. Only 20k of those miles were from me so I think the kid that had it first flogged it. I'm not worried about having to drop the trans again though, because next time it will be much easier. That's one of the benefits of hanging onto a car for awhile. You really start to figure out how it is put together.
"Fat kid's sock". LOL

Ain't that the truth about the benefits though. Mine's just turned 100k and I'm pretty sure its the original clutch and the guy who had it for the first 96k appears to have taken care of it. My son's been driving it daily for his 130 mile commute and he commented tonight at how it just seems to be getting better and better.

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
i tortured my old 67, so i exploded clutch disks, broke pressure plates, throw out bearings, tore up linkage, but the trans always held up.

i bought the f250 new in 88. the slave unit went out at 120k and the clutch disk still looked like brand new. after that, the slave would go out almost every year and start leaking( nothing like plastic) around 200k it went out again so i bought a new clutch, pressure plate and slave, the oem disk still looked good but i replaced it anyway. 50k after that 2nd and reverse went out, i removed it(again) dropped it on the bench, cost almost $1900 and i had to put it back in. but i will say, that truck had a cap, hauled a load of tools most its life, did alot of towing. i had it for 310,000, 14 years and sold it still running good. 4.9 straight 6, 5 speed(mazda trans). :)

·
Registered
227 Posts
See amustangrocks, I have always had manuals for the same reason you keep autos... Almost every car (all but 2) of the 30+ cars I have owned over the years have been manuals... I blew the clutch on my 96 Mustang and had the linkage blow out on a 98 Grand Am, and lost my plate on a 87 Fiero (I drove it for 6 months unable to disengage the clutch... dont ask). All of those though were driven HARD! Those happened (except the Grand Am) when I was 17-20 years old...

On the other hand my 89 Mustang I bought with an auto... I had it for 3 months and it started sticking and loosing gears 1 by 1... first I wouldnt go into OD and then later it wouldnt come out of first....

I jacked that car up, went to the junkyard and got a manual transmission. I also snagged the pedals, driveshaft, flywheel and other things needed from the donor... Then went and bought a new clutch kit... That night (LONG NIGHT) that car was a manual and I never looked back!

I have always had an issue with those AOD transmissions from the 80s... too many people I have known had issues with them...

Manuals are GREAT... SO SIMPLE! Of course you need to know how to drive them...

·
Registered
717 Posts
Both my current 05 V6 and my 81 V6 were stick. For a mustang, I think it is part of the "fun factor" to have a manual, except in traffic lol! :laugh:

·
Registered
182 Posts
After reading how hard it is to get a v6 manual I feel very lucky to of found mine on craigslist. :D
But I am sorry you don't have one, there is just something about a manual that makes you feel like you have so much more power.. (at least to me).

·
Registered
654 Posts
I was pretty lucky to find mine with 50k and the tranny still as tight as my dad's wallet.. I believe it's the feeling of 'doing it yourself' that gives you the feeling of control.. I learned on a ten speed international truck at about 15 I think. I got my Mustang two weeks before I went to college, first week I had it I hit a deer.. But with the way I drive (crazy) I've already gone through my second clutch. I replaced it about four months ago (Spec stage 1 and corresponding flywheel) I should've gone something better but I hadn't even found these forums yet! Some people have no idea how much help this place is. And as for the idle, mine usually idled around 750-780 if I remember right.. I've got it tuned for around 900-1000 just so it'll get up and go a lil quicker :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts