Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 94 gt 302 i want to get it to 400+ horse power. i have flow masters h pipe and a cold air intake but i am puting in a ram air system and hood. what kind of heads do you sugest and what type of headers should i get, and what other suggestions besides a super charger and crate motor

·
Registered
02 Vortech Roush stage II
193 Posts
There really is no mod that you can do in one day to achieve that much horsepower without converting to a blown setup or swapping the engine. My advice, my friend, is to begin modding small parts of the car at a time. It will be a progressive gain in power this way. You should really look into getting lower rear gears first and foremost. Just this simple mod will put so much more torque to the rear wheels, it will make you think that you gained 50 horsepower just from that alone. Research, research, and research. Good luck man!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Try 4.10's. They pull much harder than you might think. You just will lose top end. Also, why not just get a blown setup?

·
Registered
193 Posts
I see where you're coming from, but I think that if you do indeed plan on getting a supercharger in the future, then it would be best to wait on heavily modding you car until you get a supercharger. Mods are installed around a supercharger, a supercharger isn't installed around mods. Wait to install it to see what you need after it's in, that way it will prevent you from having to get rid of any mods that don't work with it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i see what your saying but i need to rebuild my engine before i do anything and i planed on boring it out some puting new heads on it new headers and a differant intake and then i will think about puting a super charger on

·
Registered
125 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Supercharging for more for final touches. It is not very beneficial to add a supercharger to an engine that has a stock top end. It wont even be able to flow the additional air efficiently.

intake/exhaust

a small wet kit
or
H/C/I

are my recommendations

·
Registered
912 Posts
why 400 hp? it gonna cost quite a bit to get to 400 hp on a n/a build, but if your dead set on 400 hp, can your car support it? like the suspension? uca, lca, springs, shocks and sfc's? if you havent done anything to the suspension then 400 hp is only gonna help you spin the tires, the cars not going to go anywhere.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
im not going to get 400 right off the bat this is gunna take me a good amount of time so i will work on al aspects of the car

R

·
0 Posts
Research, research, and research
why 400 hp? it gonna cost quite a bit to get to 400 hp on a n/a build, but if your dead set on 400 hp, can your car support it? like the suspension? uca, lca, springs, shocks and sfc's? if you havent done anything to the suspension then 400 hp is only gonna help you spin the tires, the cars not going to go anywhere.
+1,000,000 on all of the above......

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
I am seeing alot of incorrect information here. First you do not mod around a supercharger. If 400 hp is your goal and your engine is low miles but not a stroker then a sc would be a good way to go with gt40 top end. If you are looking for more than 400 hp later then HCI may be better first then add the sc to a different bottom later. Most would agree that a HCI is a good start, and will get you close. If your motor needs freshining then build a stroker with HCI. If your goal is 400-500 hp and your motor is good, then keep the bottom end make some adjustments like screw in freeze plugs head studs gaskets etc. and go with a gt40 setup and supercharger/turbo.

A stock engine (gt40) with 10psi of boost and meth will make around 425 rwhp

A good HCI will make 300-350 + or - rwhp

A 302 base stroker with correct HCI will make 375 - 475 rwhp add NOS or boost and your more than the stock block can handle.

·
Banned
1,784 Posts
you really need to do your research. your all over the place right now and you really need to spend some time learning what it takes to get the kind of power your looking for. its not a matter of simply slapping on a set of heads, headers, or a supercharger; theres a lot more to it than that

you need to ask yourself things
~ can my suspension handle that kind of power?
~ do i have the correct fuel system mods to support 400hp?
~ do i have the knowledge to do all this work myself?
~ do i have the money needed to reach these goals?

when i first joined AFM, i didnt know shiz and i made a similar thread like this looking for 500+hp (http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/5-0l-talk/224466-budget-500-hp-n-build.html). i had absolutely no clue what else was involved in making that much power. its been about nine months since i posted that thread and i can not believe how much ive learned since then. my goals have gone from 500+hp to 300hp.

you really need to stick around, read up as much as possible, and pick up a book. i recently bought a book on rebuilding the small block ford. ive read it cover to cover three times in 5 days and im learning more every time i read it. you need to spend your time learning before you pick a final goal...

·
Registered
396 Posts
To answer your specific question:

1. Long tube headers. Just make sure they fit good and have a good coating to keep the heat down.

2. Heads that flow about 300CFM or better at .6" lift. Do the research to look at all the models. There are a lot of options here. AFR 205 would work. HCI must match or it will be a pig.

·
Registered
383 Posts
sit down and map out how far you are willing to go w/ the car, money, loss of comfort and time to work on it.
figure its going to take 20-30% more money, its going to rattle twice as much and take twice as long to finish. add 10% to money to reduce the last 2.

If you only want 400 FWHP then thats easy(er) 400 at the tires requires some serious planning.

Buy the best heads you can afford. For 400 rwhp NA i'd start looking for some of the Canfield 192s or a good set of 190 TFS heads or the similar AFR 205 (all 3 flow about the same).

Throw on in a custom cam and good intake (trickflow or similar) and you can make 340+ to the tires on the stock short block, you will need to go through what you have and fly cutd the pistons, replace all the bearings and tune it (ask me how i know) mix in a 331 or 347 and you SHOULD be able to put down 420. If your engine builder can't put together a combo to guarantee you 400+ rwhp out of a street driven 347 find someone else.

·
Registered
193 Posts
As a matter of fact, you need to hear this story. I have a buddy who put a whole lot of money into his n/a setup and then later changed his mind to desiring a blown setup, and once your mind is made up on getting one and you have the funds, trust me, nothing in the world can make you change it. So he got his blower and learned he had to get rid of and/or upgrade half of the mods he bought for the n/a setup to accommodate/support/benefit from the extra power the blower put out, and yes, he learned the hard way. Not because he doesn't know anything about cars, because he wanted power without a blower and that's exactly what he got, but, you know how it is. If you're a junkie for power, you're never quite satisfied. He then had to build around his new setup and is still in the process of doing so, so I know how this process works from Blakes experience. I never thought that this subject was an issue until it happened to him. Just trying to give some advice people, but you ain't gotta listen to me! :) Just keep researching...

·
Registered
797 Posts
why 400 hp? It gonna cost quite a bit to get to 400 hp on a n/a build, but if your dead set on 400 hp, can your car support it? Like the suspension? Uca, lca, springs, shocks and sfc's? If you havent done anything to the suspension then 400 hp is only gonna help you spin the tires, the cars not going to go anywhere.
+11/2............
also..is there anything between the engine and tires that isn't going to break?

·
Registered
912 Posts
^^ i agree with that, dont know how that slipped my mind seeing as how the t5 is rated for 300ft/lb tq and the 28 spline axles and drive shaft are also gonna go when you start hooking up with that much power,

·
Registered
232 Posts
Definetdly do a ton of research. A wet nitrous kit is a cheap, easy way to boost your hp. Thats what i did.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.