Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok heres my problem im giong to make my 1966 mustang into a california special, is there any way i can get a 1967 mustang hood on to a 1966 mustang, i like the sharp edges and the hood scoopes that come with it. no i dont want a aftermarket hood i want the original if possible.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
You could kinda skin your hood with the 67/68 but leave the edges 66.Or just cut the the two low parts and weld them in to your hood.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i dont get what your trying to say about the hood, but in general can i do it

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
I'm saying cut the top sheet metal off a 67 hood and make it fit on your hood.A 67 hood won't bolt on a 65/66 you'll have to cut it down or take the skin off and make it fit the frame of your 65/66 hood.Or just cut the middle of the hood out of the 67 where it drops down and weld that in to your hood.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
To be honest it isn't worth it.

There will be more modification as the frames of the hoods have different curves to them.

The bigger problem would be the filler required to smooth everything out afterward. Being large pieces of sheet metal hoods flex easily and with the added heat from the motor the filler won't hold up like it would on other areas of the car. It may look good for a year or so but it will fail sooner or later. I've seen hoods that have had hood scoops removed and after time you can tell there was one there at some point in the past.

The other CS specific stuff won't bolt onto a 65/66 Mustang as the 67/68 was made larger and had other sheet metal changes done to it. The trunk lid and end caps won't fit.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Classic mustang California specials where available in 1968.

They did not come with hood scoops that I have ever seen stock.
They have side lower scoops, duck tail rear deck and end caps and t0bird style tail lights, fog lights in the grill and of course the cs stripe

So make a 1966 coupe look like one (aka clone) adding the side scopes, deleting the horse and corral in the front, adding the shelby duck tail which is readily available for the 65/6 model, and then some custom fab work to make the t bird lights work (or buying those after market bolt on LED that look kinda like t bird light. Then a mod to the 68 stripe kit and you have what it sounds like you are after.

http://www.mustangdreams.com/california special full.jpg

Putting a 68 hood on a 66 is not really all that practically feasible. You can also buy 65/6 hoods that have the 68 SHELBY scoops on them (as seen here)
http://www.dodgestang.com/1967/DSC00466 (Medium).JPG

·
Registered
5,978 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Nick not all 68s had a smooth hood CaliforniaSpecial.com Photo Gallery :: Claude Sprinkel :: 1
CaliforniaSpecial.com Photo Gallery :: Rhonda and John Schrader :: 2
CaliforniaSpecial.com Photo Gallery :: Rhonda and John Schrader :: 2
But it been me id sell the 66 and get a 68 make it a true clone the fog lights are the only thing no one remakes yet there pricey used since the Shelby's had them too.Jay if you use lead not plastic filler it would work.
That is not a scoop hood though. That is simply the gt turn signal hood. ;)

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
can i put 1967 or 1968 fenders on the front

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.