Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have posted on so many darn forums this past wk about my knocking issue. Anyways - I got contacted by someone at Motortrend - stated she was working on a story about this issue and wanted to hear back from me after repairs were complete. Anyone else get this? Is it possible they have identified the issues? Anyways can't wait to be of service. I now am out 3 weeks while Ford continues to break in and replace pieces of my barley broken in engine. They should do the right thing and replace. My tick sounds like the YouTube videos f150 normal characteristic - that engine was later replaced. It is much louder than some of the videos on this post, and not intermittent. I took some video and will post this weekend. Mine sounds like a spun bearing.

I suspect Ford has figured this out for 2013. For the rest of us, they deny warrantee, state normal characteristic, mask with magic juice, and pick a few suckers to allow them testing to find the least costly mask. I have very little confidence in Ford. I can't wait to see what comes out.:hihi:

·
Registered
605 Posts
What was the build date on your car? As for MT calling, I'd be cautious what you say, doesn't sound like a story they would run. You never know who is trying to get you to admit to running it hard...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was 2012. I have nothing to hide - vehicle was always stock, daily driver, seems like they have seen so much chatter on the issue of ticking that they are curious what ford finds after the repairs. It appears that a lot of the issues are documented, but the cause is kind of undetermined.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I was wondering why you only have 9 post and all are about knock...
A lot of chatter on bulletin boards doesn't mean squat when it comes to the number of real issues with the motor compared to the enormus quantity of vehicles the motor has been installed in. The "real" issue is probably like 1% if that, of vehicle with an issue. Realistically, probably about average amoung all makes/suppliers. You hear more chatter because mustang owners go on these boards and start talking, guessing, etc.
Just ask GM how the LS motor introduction went...it wasn't just the 5.7, it was the 5.3, the 4.8...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can see your point. These cars are so common - seems I see one on any corner. I never said I didn't love my car - possibly that I simply care to much. I've been a mustang fan since my first 67. At this point I just want the darn thing back - and running like it was built in 2012.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I was wondering why you only have 9 post and all are about knock...
A lot of chatter on bulletin boards doesn't mean squat when it comes to the number of real issues with the motor compared to the enormus quantity of vehicles the motor has been installed in. The "real" issue is probably like 1% if that, of vehicle with an issue. Realistically, probably about average amoung all makes/suppliers. You hear more chatter because mustang owners go on these boards and start talking, guessing, etc.
Just ask GM how the LS motor introduction went...it wasn't just the 5.7, it was the 5.3, the 4.8...

So true..............................:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
707 Posts
Have them contact me through this forum. I'll talk about my engine all day. They can send someone to test drive on a course, and maybe they'll post some thoughts. I have nothing to hide. I also don't have knock... It's been 16,000 perfect 585rwhp supercharged miles so far.

But, no one wants to hear that.

·
Banned
3,124 Posts
Have them contact me through this forum. I'll talk about my engine all day. They can send someone to test drive on a course, and maybe they'll post some thoughts. I have nothing to hide. I also don't have knock... It's been 16,000 perfect 585rwhp supercharged miles so far.

Nope. And honestly, that's too bad.

·
Registered
676 Posts

On the flip side I've had two mustangs with the problem... a 2011 and a 2012. Both got the ticking pretty nasty. First one needed an engine swap. New one may as well.

Given the money I put into the car I'm pretty upset. And have come very close to just selling the thing. I really love the car otherwise so it's really frustrating to me.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Video posted

2012 Mustang 5.0 Knocking - YouTube

I follow these forums regularly - never had a need to post anything. Is it possible that replacing a head could fix this? The issue I have is that the only valid reason for changing the head would be a blocked or malformed oil passage. Is it possible that something like this - if fixed via better oil delivery hasn't caused internal damage?

·
Registered
453 Posts
I think the reason you see quite a few posting about "ticks" and MT82 issues on all of the forums is, not that people enjoy bit*ching about their car. It is that they are desperately seeking that "fix" that they cannot find. I don't get on this forum every day so when I see a thread about a problem that I am experiencing also, I chime in, really just looking for that answer to the problem. My tick is not near as bad as the one in the video, but its still annoying. It does seem that Ford has not found a solution to any of the ticks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm the same - I had a speed6 before this and modded all sorts of things as the warranty expired. I follow these forums to see what kind of things I have to look forward to when warranty expires. I was half obsessed with what the next gen Mustang is going to become, the other half obsessed in learning what others are getting out of these vehicles. I don't chime in because I am typically more of a learner.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I'm really not trying to be a hard case on guys with legit problems, but first off - If that's your car, never use the word "tick" again.
That is a knock. Drive it to the dealer, parking in the service department lot, tell them you're calling regional, and to give you a call when it's not knocking anymore.
A huge problem I see is, people with minor ticking becoming paranoid reading all the tick threads. They take it in, turns out to be normal aluminum rap and it skews the numbers and delutes the availible data to post a credible service fix. This is not a tick! Only a diesel sounds like that!

And unfortunatley, it does occur in mass production. Parts are randomly sampled for quality checks. Everyone does not get NDI/Fluxed test looking for cracks, every bearing is not spun, etc. It's not just Ford as I said before, it bad luck of the draw. Hell, just 10 years ago, Toyota, who has the highest QA procedures were dropping transmission out from under trucks going down the highway. Tranny would lock at high speeds, shear everything holding it on, and boom! The guts were draging on the highway.
Point is, we feel your pain but honestly, no one here can take action for you. We will support you and look forward to a fix story but can't diagnoise by internet video. Good luck.

·
Registered
605 Posts
BTW - I just emailed the editor of MT to verify said story.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I'm really not trying to be a hard case on guys with legit problems, but first off - If that's your car, never use the word "tick" again.
That is a knock. Drive it to the dealer, parking in the service department lot, tell them you're calling regional, and to give you a call when it's not knocking anymore.
A huge problem I see is, people with minor ticking becoming paranoid reading all the tick threads. They take it in, turns out to be normal aluminum rap and it skews the numbers and delutes the availible data to post a credible service fix. This is not a tick! Only a diesel sounds like that!

And unfortunatley, it does occur in mass production. Parts are randomly sampled for quality checks. Everyone does not get NDI/Fluxed test looking for cracks, every bearing is not spun, etc. It's not just Ford as I said before, it bad luck of the draw. Hell, just 10 years ago, Toyota, who has the highest QA procedures were dropping transmission out from under trucks going down the highway. Tranny would lock at high speeds, shear everything holding it on, and boom! The guts were draging on the highway.
Point is, we feel your pain but honestly, no one here can take action for you. We will support you and look forward to a fix story but can't diagnoise by internet video. Good luck.
I agree the noise this engine is making is not the same as the so called tick others have exprienced. Hasn't most of the people had this tick taken care by a tsb. I also heard its normal to hear some noise because of the aluminum pistons. Now if 1000 of these motors were doing this Ford would have a major problem, but I don't think this is the case. If you are the one with a bad motor, I agree its very stressful dealing with it. My opinon Ford should quit messing around and replace the motor, as long as they determine there's been no abuse.

F

·
0 Posts
I have posted on so many darn forums this past wk about my knocking issue. Anyways - I got contacted by someone at Motortrend - stated she was working on a story about this issue and wanted to hear back from me after repairs were complete. Anyone else get this? Is it possible they have identified the issues? Anyways can't wait to be of service. I now am out 3 weeks while Ford continues to break in and replace pieces of my barley broken in engine.
Hi Jenzie,

From your previous posts, I believe you’ve already escalated these concerns. Let me know if I can be of any assistance.

Deysha

·
Registered
348 Posts
im glad i got a 13' built on the last run! Hopefully they got all the issues fixed by the time they built mine!! :kooky:

·
0 Posts
im glad i got a 13' built on the last run! Hopefully they got all the issues fixed by the time they built mine!! :kooky:
It's really just dumb luck. My '11, and a buddies '12 don't make any noises. But a co-workers new '13 does have some odd ticks that his dealer says are "normal".

1 - 20 of 20 Posts