Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering what it would take to run my car at the drag strip? I do not want to race it on the street ,and would like to go to the Drag strip. My car is getting much faster. I know it is not super fast by any means ,I just want to be safe. Is it possible for a nearly stock car to go and run?

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
You can run it now. Just go and have fun. If you get serious, you should look at some sticky tires and perhaps some suspension mods to make sure you are transferring that power to the track

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
It's relatively safe. I recommend getting a set of drag radials. Street tires can be scary. Suspension mods will keep you in line and planted. I'm working up for my big return to the track in a couple of weeks. Let off the gas if you start sliding and practice your launches and you should be fine. You will likely need a helmet; some tracks let you rent them.

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You can run it now. Just go and have fun. If you get serious, you should look at some sticky tires and perhaps some suspension mods to make sure you are transferring that power to the track
I do not need to take a course or get a helmet ? Cool
What suspension mods are you talking about?

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
A word of caution: If you register as BKid, the track may ask for a note from your mother before permitting you to race.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Hi Gary! Do you think BKID should remove his rear spoiler? :D

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Do you think BKID should remove his rear spoiler?
Not if he's going to race - the spoiler adds at least 10 horsepower.

(Or maybe 10 pounds of down force - I always get those two mixed up.)

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Not if he's going to race - the spoiler adds at least 10 horsepower.

(Or maybe 10 pounds of down force - I always get those two mixed up.)
Lol. I'll keep that in mind. That must mean that my Mach 1 is pushing 300 hp with the spoiler.

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
I have always wanted to get my car to the track, just to open her up and see what she can REALLY DO :hihi:

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A word of caution: If you register as BKid, the track may ask for a note from your mother before permitting you to race.
When I read that I rolled over laughing ,thanks I needed that.

·
Registered
122 Posts
why not be a badass and race cops? thats one of my hobbies. forget the track

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have always wanted to get my car to the track, just to open her up and see what she can REALLY DO :hihi:
Go for it Hotshot,then it will be a first for both of us.Something to look forward to.

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's relatively safe. I recommend getting a set of drag radials. Street tires can be scary. Suspension mods will keep you in line and planted. I'm working up for my big return to the track in a couple of weeks. Let off the gas if you start sliding and practice your launches and you should be fine. You will likely need a helmet; some tracks let you rent them.
I got my old football helmet.LOL

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
Per NHRA rules, A helmet is required for the driver of any car or truck running 13.99 seconds or quicker in the 1/4 mile. Get yourself a DOT-approved helmet.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I was at the track last Friday. Here in Jersey you need a helmet no matter what you are running. If you run under 11.5 in the 1/4 mile you must have a roll cage. Thats what they told me anyway.

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So do you think I can run quicker than 13:99 ?

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
List your mods, and we can play PASS TIME, lol.

Also do a search for 1st time at the strip threads. Theres alot of good info for someone going the 1st time.

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
I was at the track last Friday. Here in Jersey you need a helmet no matter what you are running. If you run under 11.5 in the 1/4 mile you must have a roll cage. Thats what they told me anyway.
Each track can enforce more stringent rules if they want. Also per NHRA rules, a roll bar is required in any convertible running 13.49 seconds or quicker in the quarter mile, and in other cars beginning at 11.49.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.